• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,935 posts in this topic

Yeah, sometimes the stories are the best part of the comic book! wink.gif

Now that I look again at donger's slab it says "First appearence Able" not intro, so who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry to detour the great Gold Key books guys but need to address this book again. I checked my copy and it doesn't mention anything about Abel. However, it is an old CGC label, so who knows? A copy with a new label might give it credit for Abel's first appearance. Either way, it is his introduction whether they choose to credit it or not. Kind of hard to dispute hard evidence.

Scott

Jimbo, nice non-DC covers. Were any of the DC/marvel talent ever doing these mags? Steve Ditko was a fixture for most of the Charltons I know....any others?

BTW, I did read a few Charlton and Ripley books growing up...and I enjoyed them!

Sterling

That's an interesting date notation for a quarterly book: July-Sept Usually the publishers lined it up with a season: Fall, Summer, etc. As a result, both DC Special 4 and HoS 81 have the same cover date of September. But from the page 1 scan posted earlier, DC Special 4 was written as if it was the reader's first introduction to Abel. It's the first Abel appearance, and a significant one: I count 9 panels he appears in, and he introduces 2 of the 13 stories. I'd be surprised if the appearance in HoS 81 is any less "brief."

Jimbo, nice non-DC covers. Were any of the DC/marvel talent ever doing these mags? Steve Ditko was a fixture for most of the Charltons I know....any others?

As far as GKs go I don't know...since most of the work is uncredited, it's hard to distinguish who drew what.

Charlton on the otherhand did have some overlap. Other than Ditko, Giordano worked for the company in the early 60s and some of their later artists (Newton and Zeck being two) moved on to Marvel and DC...

Jim

FINALLY got a nice copy of this book. Only flaws are some staple stress a few tiny creases, and best of all this bad boy has OW/W pages at worst. cloud9.gif

hom179.jpg

Great pick-up, October!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

— Rick

I don't know if this has been done before in this thread, but I was wondering what you guys' top five favorite bronze horror covers were. I started trying to list mine and came up with a list of about twenty. Narrowing them down to five was hard, but here are mine:

5. House of Secrets # 93

4. House of Mystery #236

3. House of Mystery #193

2. House of Secrets # 110

1. House of Secrets #88

This was so tough. I had to leave off some great covers like HOS 103, 105, HOM 179. 190, 217, WH 4, 10, etc., etc.

So, what would you list as your top 5? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

— Rick