• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

No, Love for Swamp Thing? ST #3 and #5 should be on someone's list.

It's not that those covers aren't great, it's that there are too many good covers to choose from.

True Dat! Wrightson Swampy's are the crown jewel of my collection. My favorite Berni Swamp Thing cover is the super cool wraparound cover on DC Special Series #2(1). yay.gif

My top 5 Horror Covers

HOM 195

HOM 193

HOS 88

HOM 217

DC Special Series #2(1)

HOS 92, 94, 103 HOM 179, 194, 214, 231, 236 and Swamp Thing 3, 5, 10 are right there as well. I hope whoever started this topic is happy as you've caused me to pull out the boxes. grin.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

I hope whoever started this topic is happy as you've caused me to pull out the boxes. grin.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

That's what it's all about. thumbsup2.gif I find myself pulling mine out and going through them about once a week!!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

— Rick

Looks like whoever bought the pacific coast 176 cgc9.2 is looking for a quick flip. Its up on comiclink. I was hoping a collector bought this for his collection. I would have bought it for mine but someone beat me to it.

I wanted to talk about what this "thing" is on the top portion of my DR HOS 88 that I got from ComicLink. If you notice on the back cover, there is what appears to be distributor ink at the top. It is my understanding that this ink is always dark. Could that be distributor's ink on my copy on the fc or can it otherwise be accounted for in the publishing process? They are not creases, nor could they have ever been.

BTW, besides that and the obvious slight miscut, this book is nice, considering the price. insane.gif

1167254-houseofsecrets_088_cgc_9_4_oww_0743088010_a_donrosa.jpg

1167254-houseofsecrets_088_cgc_9_4_oww_0743088010_a_donrosa.jpg.a3f00bf4419c3916389899bf4066a59f.jpg

Hey sterling...I have some black -c copies of books with dist. ink on the back and slight discoloring on the front just like yours. I personally always thought of both of them being dist. ink.

An example of the front and the back dist. ink mark matches the front in length and placement:

JLA67.jpg

Edited by johnenock

Distributor ink will "stain" dark covers similar to your #88. I've seen the same thing many times on other comics...

Jim

Cool...I've always thought of them as dark stains, not just stains. thumbsup2.gif

Distributor overspray.... GRRRR!!!

It has a couple of effects on a books. Obviously on lighter covers, the ink shows up as a stain (the most common colour were red, green, blue, and yellow... though I've seen pink, black and purple as well). I don't mind it when it's just a stain, but it can get a little weird on dark covers.

The spray is shot onto the top covers of the books when they are still in their bundles... but it usually didn't just hit the top edges. Often, when they went a little heavy on it, it soaked down between the covers of individual books. It then dried, and when the books were separated, often the dark colour on the front of one book was pulled off, and stuck to the back of another. Hard to tell from the scan, but that looks like what's going on on the HOS 81.

I'm not knocking that copy of HOS 81. Because Sterling - it's a total badass! But I'm surprised that CGC allows that kind of flaw in a 9.4 In a way I'm heartened, because I've probably been too hard on that - in fact, I've passed on books with those 'pulls' and now sort of regret it because they were otherwise cherry.

Anyone know when distributor spray started? Early 60s maybe?

Shep

Originally I thought that distributor spray was used to mark returns. Later on I learned that I Phil Seuling or maybe the other distributor company used distributor spray to mark what region of the country the books were going and that it speeded up the process. I seem to remember reading that certain colors marked what region of the country the books were going to.

bob

Originally I thought that distributor spray was used to mark returns. Later on I learned that I Phil Seuling or maybe the other distributor company used distributor spray to mark what region of the country the books were going and that it speeded up the process. I seem to remember reading that certain colors marked what region of the country the books were going to.

bob

Here's what the spray was for... got it from the horse's mouth, in the form of an old girlfried my brother had who worked at the local magazine distrubutor for our area.

Comics were delivered weekly, so every week all the comics for that week leaving the distributor were given a shot of the same colour. When the arrived at the newsstands, the vendors could then quickly remove the books from the previous week, which had been sprayed with a different colour. So, for example, all of last week's 'red' books got pulled, and all this week's new 'blue' books got racked.

Make sense, as I have many books that I bought off the shelf from the same store in the 80s that exhibit a few different colours of overspray.

Man, I wish I could go back in time to that store!

Shep

Bob (And all)

Let me also say that you are right about spray being used to mark returns as well.

Distributor marks were typically a fairly unobtrusive 1 inch band across the top of the book.

In contrast, return spray was usually a cyan-blue spray that was applied heavily to all sides, and sometimes the back covers as well - usually wrecking the book in the process. I have some G.I. Combats from the late 1950s that have this spray... so much that the book warped along the spray lines.

Shep