• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

Recent eBay BIN of $9. I have wanted a nice copy of this for a long time. It has some flaws, but it is as glossy as the day it rolled off the press. cloud9.gif

>

FN/VF 7.0 sumo.gif

Yup, thats what the seller had it at, and that's what I would give it.

So here's my list, in order of publication

1- House of Mystery 179. First of all, that eerie dark-green lightning-flash cover by Adams. Then Wrightson's first professional work. And an Orlando/Adams artistic collaboration.

2- House of Mystery 186. Another Adams & Wrightson two-fer. Adams' "Nightmare" is probably the most beautifully-drawn single story in the title's history. Wrightson's story in this issue about the Egyptian cats I'm convinced was the inspiration for Gaiman and Kelley Jones' "Dream of a Thousand Cats" in Sandman 18. (When I first saw Kelley Jones' work, I had him pegged as a Wrightson-wannabe-- and he really channelled Berni on the particular story).

3- House of Secrets 92. Yes, it is over-valued, perhaps over-rated. But c'mon: First ever Swamp Thing. And that cover!

4- House of Secrets 96. Another of Wrightson's best covers. This issue makes the list on the strength of the cover plus the Wally Wood short story "The Monster."

5- House of Secrets 151. As others have pointed out, an artistic high-water mark from cover to cover. I'd stopped paying attention to the horror books by the time Adams and Wrightson stopped drawing any stories, so only recently came across this as a back issue. But Michael Golden and Art Suydam were worthy successors to Adams, Wrightson and Kaluta.

Guys,

I'm up for ideas to help keep this thread fresh. It's been a dumping ground for my latest CGC books, but what would you like to start tackling. I'm listening...

It would be nice to see more interior shots or particularly nice splash pages. I will post some of those in the next few days...

Cool idea. Even critique certain issues if you're up for it.

My contribution: DC 100 Page Super Spectacular # 4

I know many here are familiar with this, the first 100 pager. For those who aren't it is a reprint book with some great original splashes by Berni Wrightson.

764223-DC100PgSuperSpectacular%234.jpg

589a8c33d0bfd_764223-DC100PgSuperSpectacular4.jpg.dd9915737f8160cd7d5173a1f54846f5.jpg

While the stories were mostly ho-hum by todays standards, there were a couple stand-outs: "I Was the Last Man on Earth" had an eerie "Twilight Zone" feel to it and there was some nice artwork on "Haunters from Beyond" reprinted from Phantom Stranger # 1 (1952).

764241-DC100PgSuperSpectacular%23403.jpg

589a8c33deca9_764241-DC100PgSuperSpectacular403.jpg.d03ac062c30be9a8298eb880790c2c9f.jpg

Guys,

I'm up for ideas to help keep this thread fresh. It's been a dumping ground for my latest CGC books, but what would you like to start tackling. I'm listening...

It would be nice to see more interior shots or particularly nice splash pages. I will post some of those in the next few days...

Cool idea. Even critique certain issues if you're up for it.

My contribution: DC 100 Page Super Spectacular # 4

I know many here are familiar with this, the first 100 pager. For those who aren't it is a reprint book with some great original splashes by Berni Wrightson.

Those are some of the ones I was going to post! foreheadslap.gif Great Wrightson stuff, I particularly like the opening page.

Those are some of the ones I was going to post! foreheadslap.gif Great Wrightson stuff, I particularly like the opening page.

Guess I saved you some trouble! tongue.gif At least we are thinking about the same great books! I really like the second splash as Berni's scuba suit seems to be inspired by Capt. Nemo's in the Ray Harryhausen film "Mysterious Island"

Guess I saved you some trouble! tongue.gif At least we are thinking about the same great books! I really like the second splash as Berni's scuba suit seems to be inspired by Capt. Nemo's in the Ray Harryhausen film "Mysterious Island"

Everyone keeps talking about Ray Harryhausen. My cousin loves him. I have not seen any of the movies he was involved in, any recommendations?

Everyone keeps talking about Ray Harryhausen. My cousin loves him. I have not seen any of the movies he was involved in, any recommendations?

GOOD GOD YES, MAN!

50,000,000 Miles to Earth

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers

It Came from Beneath the Sea

Jason and the Argonauts

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad

Valley of Gwangi

Just off the top...