• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

Although this thread may have had an impact of those of us here (including myself) that have read it, I really doubt that the small CGC message boards world is but more than a tiny slice of the entire comic book collecting community....

This thread is a great place to come together with other like minds sharing info on the genre, but honestly lots of us horror collectors were into BA before being turned onto these boards. hi.gif

For people who were already collecting horror comics I think the main reason we started buying more BA was because pre-code got too expensive. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Guys,

I'm up for ideas to help keep this thread fresh. It's been a dumping ground for my latest CGC books, but what would you like to start tackling. I'm listening...

It would be nice to see more interior shots or particularly nice splash pages. I will post some of those in the next few days...

Guys,

I'm up for ideas to help keep this thread fresh. It's been a dumping ground for my latest CGC books, but what would you like to start tackling. I'm listening...

It would be nice to see more interior shots or particularly nice splash pages. I will post some of those in the next few days...

I agree.

I'd also like to see some talk and comments on the issues that are tougher to find in high grade.

Always good ammunition to have when you run across a virgin collection. thumbsup2.gif

Guys,

I agree.

I'd also like to see some talk and comments on the issues that are tougher to find in high grade.

Always good ammunition to have when you run across a virgin collection. thumbsup2.gif

Go OSU! screwy.gif

Guys,

I agree.

Go OSU! screwy.gif

I didn't say "Virgin Collector", so crawl back under your rock. yeahok.gif

Guys,

I agree.

Go OSU! screwy.gif

I didn't say "Virgin Collector", so crawl back under your rock. yeahok.gif

tongue.gifpoke2.gif

Keith,

I've been perusing through the pre-code thread in the GA section. I plead ignorance to the pre-code scene, but aren't prices starting to come down? I'm concerned with your over-generalized comment there.

I'd personally like to think that BA horror is getting some valid looks other than those frustrated with prices with older horror books... confused-smiley-013.gif. For me, the more the merrier. I do plan on a couple of reader pre-code purchases, as I've had limited exposure on that end.

Keith,

I've been perusing through the pre-code thread in the GA section. I plead ignorance to the pre-code scene, but aren't prices starting to come down? I'm concerned with your over-generalized comment there.

I'd personally like to think that BA horror is getting some valid looks other than those frustrated with prices with older horror books... confused-smiley-013.gif. For me, the more the merrier. I do plan on a couple of reader pre-code purchases, as I've had limited exposure on that end.

Precode horror is coming down on places like ebay but at Wondercon and some stores I have been in? Phyah! The ridiculous prices I have been seeing for even lower grade commons turned me off. I bought 5 books at Wondercon 2004. All precode. Loved them but only got 5.

Wondercon 2005? Got about 120-130 books - all BA horror - all in HG. Spent about twice as much as Wondercon 2004 but got about 26 times more books. And I really love the DC and Charlton horror. VERY reminiscent of the precodes.

Will be at San Diego for a couple of days anyway (Fri and Sat full days) and will check for pre-code but seriously- if prices are like Wondercon will revert right away to BA!

Keith,

I'm concerned with your over-generalized comment there...

confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know what I over-generalized. Pre-code is coming down RECENTLY only in fair market value sources such as eBay. Everywhere else....well, read what POV has to say, it's evidence to my statement that a lot of horror collectors came over to BA because pre-code was getting too expensive.

I don't know what I over-generalized. Pre-code is coming down RECENTLY only in fair market value sources such as eBay. Everywhere else....well, read what POV has to say, it's evidence to my statement that a lot of horror collectors came over to BA because pre-code was getting too expensive.

I definitely don't doubt that Keith; I interpreted the comment that any and all increase in BA horror is ONLY due to being priced out of pre-code...

I definitely don't doubt that Keith; I interpreted the comment that any and all increase in BA horror is ONLY due to being priced out of pre-code...

Nah, nah. It's not like that at all. I think there are a WIDE variety of factors leading to BA horror appreciation, only one of which was (and a big one for me and others I know) the affordability by comparison to pre-code horror. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, nah. It's not like that at all. I think there are a WIDE variety of factors leading to BA horror appreciation, only one of which was (and a big one for me and others I know) the affordability by comparison to pre-code horror. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I did like the whizzing statement in the pre-code thread!! 27_laughing.gif

Man, I had forgotten all about that!! 27_laughing.gif

I believe I was beyond drunk when I wrote that one! insane.gif

Seriously, I know of lots of horror collectors who were focusing on pre-code horror and finally came over to BA because it was a much more affordable alternative for our horror fix after speculation drove PCH up too far.

Other factors I will acknowledge that helped the "rise":

1. Great art.

2. Great stories.

3. Huge supply.

4. Apt resource materials for study (which includes this thread!)

I'm sure there are more..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi all! I'm one of the Johnny-come-latelys to BA horror that you guys are talking about, so this seemed like a nice time to chime in.

I've slowly gotten started on higher-grade BA horror in the last few years. I love the cool Wrightson/Kaluta/Adams covers -- especially the black covers! -- a good many of which I'd never seen before (in fact, there's plenty of them I've still never seen). I just picked up a high-grade House of Secrets 103, one of my most-wanted books for the last several years...wonderful cover, and it looks amazing in high grade!

Another nice thing about BA horror is the surprising "kinship" I felt with it once I started looking at these covers. I've always been a Wrightson fan, Adams fan, etc and I've always had other bronze DCs in my collection (Detective, Swamp Thing etc), so there's a nice connection to the other 15/20/25-cent bronze books I've grown up collecting. That's a connection I don't have with the precode horror books, cool as they are. (And the price break is just icing on the cake!)

That's a connection I don't have with the precode horror books, cool as they are. (And the price break is just icing on the cake!)

Welcome! hi.gif

Yes, there are many of us that feel this "connection" to BA. These are the books from my youth. For years though lots of horror collectors maligned BA in comparison to pre-code even if they themselves personally had no sentimental connection to the Atomic material. After all, pre-code was unrestrained, and when you are dealing with the genre of horror, that is a big plus!

Once taking a serious look at BA horror, most of us can agree that it is quality horror material after all.

We aren't quibbling over "pre-code vs. BA" by any means. I think rather what we are trying to hash out are factors contributing to the rise in BA horror popularity the last few years. You hit the nail on the head with one of those factors we overlooked: sentimental connection! One of the most important reasons anyone collects anything! thumbsup2.gif

so.....

5. Sentimental value.

popcorn.gif

Thanks very much, Keith!

At the same time, having said all these lovely things about BA horror...and I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here...there's plenty of BA horror covers/issues that I find decidedly unappealing. I'm not a completist, but just someone who goes after "favorite" BA horror covers, and I do a fair amount of cherrypicking. Some covers do it for me, some don't...obviously it's very subjective. And I'm definitely a "cover collector" more than a contents collector with BA horror...is that pretty typical? If the cover looks junky, no matter how great the contents are, I probably won't go after it.

I also tend to gravitate towards the House of Mystery/House of Secrets books...I like the long runs that both series had, the link to Swamp Thing through HOS #92 (sentimental value again), even the logos!, and above all the classic covers. This probably means I'm missing out on some other great covers and series, though.

I apologize if this has been hashed out in the previous 329 pages already, but would anyone be up for sharing their five "favorite" bronze horror books? I would sure find that interesting. Or put another way, which five books do you think should be in every BA horror collector's collection? Since you guys obviously have much more comprehensive collections than I do, would love to hear some opinions and perhaps discover some great new stuff.

We aren't quibbling over "pre-code vs. BA" by any means. I think rather what we are trying to hash out are factors contributing to the rise in BA horror popularity the last few years. You hit the nail on the head with one of those factors we overlooked: sentimental connection! One of the most important reasons anyone collects anything! thumbsup2.gif

The cynical view also fits in here somehow...that home grown speculators have discovered a formerly disregarded and underpriced genre to fully exploit and hype for monetary value. This includes some horror collectors that saw the rise in PCH prices and are buying hoping for the same to occur with BA horror... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim