• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My return to comic collecting after 30 years

38 posts in this topic

My Mom & Dad always bought me comics & monster magazines from the time of my very earliest memories, but my first clear memory of a particular comic book standing out to me was when my Mom bought me ASM #78 when I was about 8 years old in 1969.

It was the first appearance of the Prowler issue & I remember being head over heels about Spiderman from that moment on.

It wasn't until a couple of years later when I was 10 that I REALLY began collecting though & over the following several years I managed to build quite a nice collection of around 3000-3500 comics. Including near complete or complete collections of ASM,AVENGERS,FANTASTIC FOUR, DAREDEVIL, UNCANNY X-MEN, TOMB OF DRACULA, MARVEL TEAM UP & a dozen or so other Marvel titles of the day. I also collected a few of your standard DC universe titles as well, with my favs being the Neal Adams BATMAN & GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW runs. Plus I loved a lot of the old Gold Key titles as well. Warrens too.

Then, shortly after I turned 18, I decided that I'd "outgrown" comics & got the brilliant idea of selling my collection. I was just about set to start college & I was far more interested in girls & beer than superheroes. So, I sold my collection for a fraction of what it was worth then. Now? If conditions were right, I think that collection might might buy me a house. But, alas, it went in what I call the "Great Purge of 1980".

Of course, it didn't take me too long to come to my senses & regret my actions, but by then it was far too late & I couldn't even LOOK at a comic for years. Which remained the case other than Topps run of THE X-FILES back in the late '90s & the early Dark Horse BUFFY titles which I collected.

After which I went several more years without buying any more comics until maybe a year & a half ago when I read about Dark Horse reviving CREEPY. Another old fav of mine. So, I headed to my LCS & after initially just picking up that title as well as the new Wildstorm X-FILES, I began to buy a few more titles. Some new & some old friends like ASM & THE AVENGERS.

With ASM being my passion, just like back in the day.

Between a combo of my LCS & e-Bay, I've managed to go from zero issues just a year ago to well over 200 now. I'm getting pretty darn close to a complete run of the '99 ASM #1 to the present. Which, I'm loving. It's great fun & gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Plus, it's definitely cool that I've come across some good runs & lots for low prices through e-Bay that have made it possible to be where I'm at today.

Sure, I still fantasize about somehow regaining the collection that I lost 31 years ago, but the past year or so has gone a LONG way toward soothing that nagging regret that I used to feel when I thought about comics & filling the void that selling off my collection back in 1980 left behind.

Jim

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome. I remember buying a few ASM and punisher books in the 80's off the 7-11 rack, but didn't keep any (rebought the books later). In the 90's, my LCS was Comic Bookie in claremont ca. They had a great back issue section and when you bought books, you got back issue credit, good towards their back issue section only. Absolutely brilliant. I bought 60's superman and a beat up daredevil #10 because of this (sold those books a few years ago). I also bought lots of valiant (still have my solar #1 and a few other books). Around 1994-1995, i stopped buying comics.

When spiderman (the movie) came out, i started thinking about buying some ASM books. But what really got me back in was reading an issue of wizard. I didn't understand the cgc section in the back, but the issue made me want to know more. Soon, i found this site....and that was that

Pretty much the same thing happened to me.Quit in the early 1990's and sold out completely by 2001.Then I got a computer and discovered ebay.I've since built my collection up to where I'm kinda happy with it now.Half the fun is re-acquiring all the great books we had in the past.Plus finding the ones we knew about but could never find.

Welcome back to the fun!

Same Story. Stopped reading comics when I was 12 ish back in late 70's.

In I believe 1993 I went back to my parents house to see what comic books my brother and I had left. I then thought wow these must be worth something now. Took a list of the 250 books to Jim Haneys comic book store on Staten Island and got a lesson on how stores pay cents on the dollar vs what a guide says. well while I was there I saw the 30th anniversary issues out for the 4 spiderman titles and grabbed them. Also saw this spiderman comic but the character had a black outfit and not red and he looked bigger and meaner. Well the guy gave me the story of "Venom" and I grabbed any Venom stuff he had. also grabbed a few back isues of Venom and other comics. I came into the store hoping to sell the comics I had and walked out with $100 in comics and a huge Venom fan .. Been back collecting since 1993.

My Mom & Dad always bought me comics & monster magazines from the time of my very earliest memories, but my first clear memory of a particular comic book standing out to me was when my Mom bought me ASM #78 when I was about 8 years old in 1969.

It was the first appearance of the Prowler issue & I remember being head over heels about Spiderman from that moment on.

It wasn't until a couple of years later when I was 10 that I REALLY began collecting though & over the following several years I managed to build quite a nice collection of around 3000-3500 comics. Including near complete or complete collections of ASM,AVENGERS,FANTASTIC FOUR, DAREDEVIL, UNCANNY X-MEN, TOMB OF DRACULA, MARVEL TEAM UP & a dozen or so other Marvel titles of the day. I also collected a few of your standard DC universe titles as well, with my favs being the Neal Adams BATMAN & GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW runs. Plus I loved a lot of the old Gold Key titles as well. Warrens too.

Then, shortly after I turned 18, I decided that I'd "outgrown" comics & got the brilliant idea of selling my collection. I was just about set to start college & I was far more interested in girls & beer than superheroes. So, I sold my collection for a fraction of what it was worth then. Now? If conditions were right, I think that collection might might buy me a house. But, alas, it went in what I call the "Great Purge of 1980".

Of course, it didn't take me too long to come to my senses & regret my actions, but by then it was far too late & I couldn't even LOOK at a comic for years. Which remained the case other than Topps run of THE X-FILES back in the late '90s & the early Dark Horse BUFFY titles which I collected.

After which I went several more years without buying any more comics until maybe a year & a half ago when I read about Dark Horse reviving CREEPY. Another old fav of mine. So, I headed to my LCS & after initially just picking up that title as well as the new Wildstorm X-FILES, I began to buy a few more titles. Some new & some old friends like ASM & THE AVENGERS.

With ASM being my passion, just like back in the day.

Between a combo of my LCS & e-Bay, I've managed to go from zero issues just a year ago to well over 200 now. I'm getting pretty darn close to a complete run of the '99 ASM #1 to the present. Which, I'm loving. It's great fun & gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Plus, it's definitely cool that I've come across some good runs & lots for low prices through e-Bay that have made it possible to be where I'm at today.

Sure, I still fantasize about somehow regaining the collection that I lost 31 years ago, but the past year or so has gone a LONG way toward soothing that nagging regret that I used to feel when I thought about comics & filling the void that selling off my collection back in 1980 left behind.

Jim

I certainly know where you're coming from. Left the hobby myself for 30 years and just got back a little over 2 months ago. Not only do I have a lot of catching up to do, the hobby has certainly gotten a whole helluvalot more expensive than what I remember what it was :ohnoez:

More competition...aaargh :frustrated:

Seriously...Welcome to the boards and back to collecting! Lotta fun for me after 10 years back in it...same thing for me...stuck everything in a few boxes back around 1973 and didn't really plug back in 'til around 2001... :headbang:

More competition...aaargh :frustrated:

Seriously...Welcome to the boards and back to collecting! Lotta fun for me after 10 years back in it...same thing for me...stuck everything in a few boxes back around 1973 and didn't really plug back in 'til around 2001... :headbang:

Agree w/ Mr. Moore.

Welcome to the Boards and have fun in this unique hobby!

CAL who likes new members...

Jim

Welcome back Jim. (thumbs u Good to have you here.

Head over to the gold forum and prostrate yourself before our king. Perhaps he will find you worthy. ;)

Welcome to the Boards!

My story is similar, I got back into collecting about four years ago after being away for 25 years.

Glad you found this site.

WTTB! Unlike you and most others, I didn't sell my collection in my teens (late '70s). My mom's live-in boyfriend (aka @$$hole) threw them away when he heard I referred to him as @$$hole. My younger brother's collection was also caught in the crossfire. Not because he did anything wrong, but because my mom's bf was... well, you know.

It was maybe 8 years later that I wandered into a local trading card shop that had a few comics on display and found a beat up copy of X-Men #1 for I think $15.00- Naturally I grabbed it, not really thinking it was valuable, just cool. I brought it home and soon noticed it had a missing page. Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I brought it back for a refund so I could use the $ for some other books there. I SO wish I had kept it. It's only $15, but at the time I was only making $3.25 an hour and young and in my 1st marriage. That = not a lot of cash very often. Ahhh, Hind sight.

A couple years later and a better paying job soon turned into a Hulk #181. My 1st wife is history, but I still have the book :luhv:

Now I have a GREAT paying job, a WONDERFUL 2nd wife, but we also have a mortgage. Still, I'm buying some sweet books, sticking to GA, SA and some BA.