• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What other hobbies of yours suffer because of comics?

53 posts in this topic

A little over a year before I made the decision to get back into comics, I began making online purchases of old issues of both CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN & FAMOUS MONSTERS. As, just like my comic book collection back in 1980, I wound up sell owned before nowing off all those that I'd collected as a kid.

During that period of time before I ventured back into comics, I put togeether a near complete set of the original 25 issues of Calvin Beck's CoF as well as a nice stack of FM as well. As it stands, I'm only one issue shy of a complete run of CoF ( I just need #3 ) & I have a nice collection of key issues of FM. Many of which, I'd always wanted as a kid & never owned before now.

I still very much love my monster mag collection & plan to add a lot more to it eventually, but by returning to comic book collecting, it's taken up much of the fund$ that I'd been spending on them.

Jim

Besides my family, which I try prioritize over everything, I still periodically collect sports memorabilia (especially during football season), building computers, and firearms. Whatever disposable income I have, I try to balance out amongst my these hobbies, which does include buying some comics.

Then there's also my action figures & DVDs/Blu-Rays.

Man, but do I absolutely LOVE my movies & my toys!

But, again, because of my limited budget, monies that would normally go toward new ones has been going toward comics & filling in my collection.

All of which has meant making some pretty tough calls, but I do OK.

Then there's also my boxing memorabilia collection that I've been putting together non-stop since 1976.

It consists of thousands of magazines, posters, programs, photos, autographed 8 x 10s, trading cards, record books & so on. A couple of years ago, I was literally running out of room for it. But then, I decided to pare it down by about a third by selling & trading off some of it & that worked out well for me. Though these days, I pretty much just continue to collect

just continue to collect THE RING magazine & leave it at that.

Jim

Um, I don't know how to tell you people, but family (includes spouses) are not hobbies. If they are hobbies then your priorities are seriously screwed up. :screwy:

hm

Paper restoration. I can't fully express myself.

Um, I don't know how to tell you people, but family (includes spouses) are not hobbies. If they are hobbies then your priorities are seriously screwed up. :screwy:

hm ... hm ... hm ... :idea: I suppose that would depend upon how many spouses you collect! :devil:

I also collect LEGO kits but that hobby hasn't really suffered per say.

I am (or WAS) an accomplished model builder and I devote NO time or space to that hobby anymore even though I have many projects on the backburner. I always intend to get back into it but I've been telling myself that for almost 10 years.... :blush: