• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Village Voice Green Lantern review: not for the squeamish

70 posts in this topic

You don't need a review to see how bad this movie will be. And whether or not she hated other movies, there doesn't seem to be anything in the actual review that sounds all that biased. Unless you're willing to forgive every aspect of film making just because there's a superhero on the screen, this will be a waste of time.

Exactly.

I honestly wish that I could go back to the days where story, plot, character development, dialogue and setting didn't matter. The bigger the tentpole flick, the more formulaic it becomes, as studios are terrified of doing something original and thus possibly interrupting the expectations of the movie goers.

The dissection of classic films by people looking for a "formula" and the subsequent adoption of a rigid "structure" as it applies to plot, story and character development have made watching most movies a painful experience for me. Oh no, is the main character really going to fail here in the middle of Act 2? Is the main character going to demonstrate a personality flaw in the first fifteen minutes they are on-screen, about which they will learn a valuable lesson towards the end of Act 2, which will then result in a total reversal of that behaviour and a new lease on life by the beginning of Act 3?

:meh:

You don't need a review to see how bad this movie will be. And whether or not she hated other movies, there doesn't seem to be anything in the actual review that sounds all that biased. Unless you're willing to forgive every aspect of film making just because there's a superhero on the screen, this will be a waste of time.

Exactly.

I honestly wish that I could go back to the days where story, plot, character development, dialogue and setting didn't matter. The bigger the tentpole flick, the more formulaic it becomes, as studios are terrified of doing something original and thus possibly interrupting the expectations of the movie goers.The dissection of classic films by people looking for a "formula" and the subsequent adoption of a rigid "structure" as it applies to plot, story and character development have made watching most movies a painful experience for me. Oh no, is the main character really going to fail here in the middle of Act 2? Is the main character going to demonstrate a personality flaw in the first fifteen minutes they are on-screen, about which they will learn a valuable lesson towards the end of Act 2, which will then result in a total reversal of that behaviour and a new lease on life by the beginning of Act 3?

Alien 3 started this way of thinking,as the first two movies followed status quo, but the third was just a little different then what people were expecting in an Alien movie, as it bombed at the box office. So Hollywood suits are terrified of going beyond the formula. They rather play it safe.

I'm not at all surprised that GL may get negative reviews. It didn't look like a very good movie from the trailers. I also thought the casting was wrong as well.

Exactly.

I honestly wish that I could go back to the days where story, plot, character development, dialogue and setting didn't matter. The bigger the tentpole flick, the more formulaic it becomes, as studios are terrified of doing something original and thus possibly interrupting the expectations of the movie goers.The dissection of classic films by people looking for a "formula" and the subsequent adoption of a rigid "structure" as it applies to plot, story and character development have made watching most movies a painful experience for me. Oh no, is the main character really going to fail here in the middle of Act 2? Is the main character going to demonstrate a personality flaw in the first fifteen minutes they are on-screen, about which they will learn a valuable lesson towards the end of Act 2, which will then result in a total reversal of that behaviour and a new lease on life by the beginning of Act 3?

Alien 3 started this way of thinking,as the first two movies followed status quo, but the third was just a little different then what people were expecting in an Alien movie, as it bombed at the box office. So Hollywood suits are terrified of going beyond the formula. They rather play it safe.

the $200mm price tag is the main reason. but it's been shown that you can push the boundaries (DK),have a great -script (DK, S2 & IM) and hire someone that can really act (DK, IM) and set the box office on fire.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that the first IM movies was such a great film. (shrug)

Watching it a month or so ago with the kids for the first time, I found it to be much weaker than I remembered to be honest. It did not really live up to the hype the first time I saw it, and it definitely does not now. I know a lot of fanboys here think it is a great flick, but it was like any other comic movie - fun, but nothing to write home about.

I will go see this film, but I have to admit the trailers are rapidly making me lose interest. Far to many cringe worthy scenes already and I have not seen the film!

i HATE the latest trailer scene where Hal reveals the Green lantern costume to a friend, who replies something to the effect of "awesome" and Hal says "I know, right?". Just HATE it. Makes me think Ted from Bill and Ted got the Green Lantern suit, and I almost expect to see an air guitar. :P

...I was hoping this wouldn 't happen,...but not surpised that it did,...Dc just cant seem to make a half way decent movie except for the Batman franchises (and the early Chris Reeve Superman films),....If only they put the talent and effort behind their animated films into live action,...Justice League New Frontere was one of the best super hero movies I ever watched

Maybe it's just me, but I would never base my decision to see or not see a movie on one review.

I will go see this film, but I have to admit the trailers are rapidly making me lose interest. Far to many cringe worthy scenes already and I have not seen the film!

i HATE the latest trailer scene where Hal reveals the Green lantern costume to a friend, who replies something to the effect of "awesome" and Hal says "I know, right?". Just HATE it. Makes me think Ted from Bill and Ted got the Green Lantern suit, and I almost expect to see an air guitar. :P

Precisely. Just plain juvenile, which is not what I remember Hal Jordan to be. In All Star Batman and Robin, an over-the-top Bats referred to Jordan as a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who was dumb as a doorknob. Hated to think this is the GL version in the movie.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that the first IM movies was such a great film. (shrug)

Watching it a month or so ago with the kids for the first time, I found it to be much weaker than I remembered to be honest. It did not really live up to the hype the first time I saw it, and it definitely does not now. I know a lot of fanboys here think it is a great flick, but it was like any other comic movie - fun, but nothing to write home about.

I used to have huge respect and admiration for you Ryan and then you say daft things like this. :baiting:

I used to have huge respect and admiration for you Ryan and then you say daft things like this. :baiting:

I was being serious. I watched FF1 and FF2 about six months after getting each DVD as a gift and found them both fun and enjoyable as a result of lowered expectations going in. (thumbs u

Watching the IM movie again with the kids, I thought that the ending bit and the film as a whole could have been much better. The build up to him going into Golmera in the armor (?) is great, but it tanks after that. There are other small things even during the good parts that made me like it less as well.

Just like Batman TDK - I would have rather had them end the movie with Two-Face being on the loose as a set up for the next flick after Batman captured/killed the Joker. Instead, they basically wasted the build up of a decent villain, and dragged the movie out about 20 - 30 minutes longer than it needed to be.

That being said, most of the reviews right now are brutal on the GL flick. I am still going to see it, but definitely with lowered expectations going in.........

I really don't care what the reviews say, it's a summer movie about one of my all-time favorite characters, and I'll see it and make my own judgement as to if they got it right. I don't pay attention to reviews about movies I don't care about half as much as this one, so why would I pay attention to them about one I care about and will see no matter what?

lol

I was being serious. I watched FF1 and FF2 about six months after getting each DVD as a gift and found them both fun and enjoyable as a result of lowered expectations going in. (thumbs u

Watching the IM movie again with the kids, I thought that the ending bit and the film as a whole could have been much better. The build up to him going into Golmera in the armor (?) is great, but it tanks after that. There are other small things even during the good parts that made me like it less as well.

Just like Batman TDK - I would have rather had them end the movie with Two-Face being on the loose as a set up for the next flick after Batman captured/killed the Joker. Instead, they basically wasted the build up of a decent villain, and dragged the movie out about 20 - 30 minutes longer than it needed to be.

That being said, most of the reviews right now are brutal on the GL flick. I am still going to see it, but definitely with lowered expectations going in.........

I just checked out the rotten tomatoes site...might need to wait till it comes out on video. :eek:

lol

Personally, I'm hoping the movie tanks...bad. That should hopefully convince DC/Warner that it's line of superheroes, crafted entirely for juveniles of the 1940s-50s, simply don't translate well to the modern audience unless given the Dark Knight/Kingdom Come treatment. There is so much quality Vertigo material out there too that has been ignored which would have appeal to contemporary viewers.

I think Marvel learned a few years ago that you can't just put out anything with a spandex wearing superhero in it and expect to make big bucks. Consequently, most of the Marvel movies of the last couple of years have been pretty good (Wolverine being the one exception....man that sucked). DC is apparently still a bomb or two away from really "getting it".

...I was hoping this wouldn 't happen,...but not surpised that it did,...Dc just cant seem to make a half way decent movie except for the Batman franchises (and the early Chris Reeve Superman films),....If only they put the talent and effort behind their animated films into live action,...Justice League New Frontere was one of the best super hero movies I ever watched

Maybe it's just me, but I would never base my decision to see or not see a movie on one review.

how about a 23 on rotten tomatoes?

lol

Personally, I'm hoping the movie tanks...bad. That should hopefully convince DC/Warner that it's line of superheroes, crafted entirely for juveniles of the 1940s-50s, simply don't translate well to the modern audience unless given the Dark Knight/Kingdom Come treatment. There is so much quality Vertigo material out there too that has been ignored which would have appeal to contemporary viewers.

I think Marvel learned a few years ago that you can't just put out anything with a spandex wearing superhero in it and expect to make big bucks. Consequently, most of the Marvel movies of the last couple of years have been pretty good (Wolverine being the one exception....man that sucked). DC is apparently still a bomb or two away from really "getting it".

Most of the bad reviews appear to be related to the ADD style directing and the incoherent nature of the -script that was apparently cobbled together by 4 different writers.

Silver Age characters (which Hal is, as opposed to the Alan Scott version in the 40's-50s) should be able to do well with a good -script and a good director. I bet Marvel Studios could put out a good GL movie.

lol

Most of the bad reviews appear to be related to the ADD style directing and the incoherent nature of the -script that was apparently cobbled together by 4 different writers.

Silver Age characters (which Hal is, as opposed to the Alan Scott version in the 40's-50s) should be able to do well with a good -script and a good director. I bet Marvel Studios could put out a good GL movie.

lol. i'd add "an actor who can act"