• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a realistic price to expect to pay for a 1.0, 2.0 or raw ASM#1?

27 posts in this topic

I'm not saying that I'll ever be able to afford to buy even a beat up copy, but it is a lifelong want of mine & I'm curious to see if it would be remotely attainable for someone like me with a limited budget.

I believe everyone with a long time history with collecting has a simmilar story, but back during my first stint with comics, my LCS had a good condition copy of ASM #1 displayed on their wall behind the counter for $100.00. This was in'76 - '77 when I was about 15.

I came close to convincing my Mom to buy it for me for my b-day or x-mas over that year or so, but it never quite happened. Which, in retrospect, I'm glad of because it would have ,no doubt, been a part of my "Great Purge of 1980" when I sold off my entire collection. And having had my personal "Holy Grail" only to sell it, would have hurt me that much more...

Hmmm...

If I could actually find one that someone would part with for $500 or $600, I'd give some serious thought buying it if conditions were right & I had the cash available etc..

As long as the book was complete & the front cover was presentable, I'd make sure to slab it if it was graded & such already.

There is an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 on a comiclink auction at the moment going for $725 - it is a CGC 0.5 PR. with 11 days to go... It does look nicer than the assigned grade... but, just an example.

-----------

Oh, I don't know. I suppose it should be AMAZING FANTASY #15, huh?

But, for whatever reason it's always been ASM #1 that I've obsessed over. Back years ago before I dropped comics & I sold off my collection, THE AVENGERS was my favorite comic. And I was VERY near a complete collection of it, needing just #1 & #4 if I remember correctly.

But, Spider-Man was favorite character, so if I was going to pay a hefty sum for a comic(s), it would have been ASM #1 ( back then I had from ASM #6 up to whatever the current issue was in early 1980 ).

Well, not a whole lot has changed in 31 years as Spider-Man is still, by far my favorite character, only now ASM is my favorite title as well.

In fact, of the 644 comics that I've managed to begin my new collection with over the past year, 266 of them are ASM. With another 30, maybe even 40 or so being issues of other Spider-Man titles.

I've got a complete run of ASM from #500 to present. With my immediate goal being to fill in the '99 ASM issues that I'm missing from a full run, those being #12 - 30 & #36.

Oh, I don't know. I suppose it should be AMAZING FANTASY #15, huh?

But, for whatever reason it's always been ASM #1 that I've obsessed over.

Funny enough, I was always the same way! I suppose it's one of those "number one issue" infatuations when you grow up reading and collecting the ASM title.

After 2+ decades of silver Spidey buying, I finally got an ASM #1 in 2006. I know it would have been smarter to nab an AF #15 first, but I'm still awfully happy with it. :D

I sold my old copy on eBay for $799 buy it now. It was nasty, .5-1.0.

Yep, there's always going to be a price floor for .5-1.0 copies, no matter how trashed they are. Decent-looking .5 copies (yes, they exist) will probably sell for as much as 1.0s, since there will still be demand for filler copies. I'd guess finding any half-decent beat copy of ASM #1 for less than $800 or so is going to be slow going.

(edit: ...unless you PM the guy directly above this post, that is!)

I bought my ASM 1.0 here on the boards (via PM) a few years ago for $600 and I can tell you it was a bargain even then. Now, my copy was initially graded 1.5 by the pre-graders and it was the final grader who gave it the 1.0 due to the tape on the spine. Bottom line is that at this point in time, you'll need to plan on $1k for a slabbed 1.0... and at least $600 for 0.5. You can probably get a SLIGHTLY better deal if you go raw but know who you're buying from.

And don't feel bad at ALL about wanting to own a copy of ASM 1. There are MANY reasons that add up to this book being one of the Mega SA Marvel grail books, even if it is second to AF 15.