• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Green Lantern Is As Good As Iron Man

134 posts in this topic

At that number the chances for a sequel are probably pretty slim. The reviews killed this movie which really wasn't that bad. Enjoy it while you can sounds like we ll be stuck with just Superman and Batman movies for a little while if you care about DC characters.

...there will most definitely be a sequel,...if they can make sequels out of crud movies like the Hulk and Fantastic Four than this is a shoe-in,...and just as a comparison Thor did 66 million on opening weekend,...GL is at 52 mill not counting sales for today,...

when the advance word was so bad, warners poured huge $ into a midnight-hour ad blitz, and i understand they have 300mil into the flick. not only is 52mil bad on the weekend, check it's descending numbers fri to sun; it is going to be lucky to go much past 125mil domestic.

as bad as ff 1 was, and i hate it, it cost 100mil and made 155mil domestically. it warranted, barely, a sequel.

we're all just speculating, but i've been a movie buff almost as long as i've been a comic geek. these kinds of numbers do not shout sequel, i promise.

These GL numbers were so bad that the odds of us seeing a big budget Flash movie would be slim to none now

:mad:

Hopefully word of mouth will get around that the Green Lantern movie was actually better then the rotten tomatoes critics said it was,and Green Lantern will rally at the box office this week,so we can get a big budgeted Flash movie made. :wishluck:

At that number the chances for a sequel are probably pretty slim. The reviews killed this movie which really wasn't that bad. Enjoy it while you can sounds like we ll be stuck with just Superman and Batman movies for a little while if you care about DC characters.

...there will most definitely be a sequel,...if they can make sequels out of crud movies like the Hulk and Fantastic Four than this is a shoe-in,...and just as a comparison Thor did 66 million on opening weekend,...GL is at 52 mill not counting sales for today,...

when the advance word was so bad, warners poured huge $ into a midnight-hour ad blitz, and i understand they have 300mil into the flick. not only is 52mil bad on the weekend, check it's descending numbers fri to sun; it is going to be lucky to go much past 125mil domestic.

as bad as ff 1 was, and i hate it, it cost 100mil and made 155mil domestically. it warranted, barely, a sequel.

we're all just speculating, but i've been a movie buff almost as long as i've been a comic geek. these kinds of numbers do not shout sequel, i promise.

These GL numbers were so bad that the odds of us seeing a big budget Flash movie would be slim to none now

:mad:

Hopefully word of mouth will get around that the Green Lantern movie was actually better then the rotten tomatoes critics said it was,and Green Lantern will rally at the box office this week,so we can get a big budgeted Flash movie made. :wishluck:

I found the GL movie to be disappointing, but the sequel could be a massive improvement in the right hands. There'd be no need for the set-up and character introductions, just a full-fledged space opera featuring Lantern and Sinestro. Reynolds would have to get more of a handle on the character of Jordan, though.

Regardless of reviews I'll still go see the movie. I'm not a GL fan but always interested to see how they convert to the screen.

I tend not to agree with the majority anyway, I felt the 1st X-Men and Spider-Man movies were average and would be happy not to see them ever again but people feel these are good films.

I thought it was bad. I went with a friend who fell asleep during parts of it.

The acting is bad. The plot is bad. The special effects were good. Some of the jokes were funny. I honestly can see it getting a cult following ala some other equally bad movies (One of my favorites with bad acting is Starship Troopers. Independance Day had some really cheesy plot moments, but I enjoyed it). Some of the acting was Mark Hamil in Star Wars level bad which actually makes me laugh. This is a movie that would work really well in the Mystery Science 3000 format, imo. I had very low expectations of this movie based on reviews..unfortunately it didn't meet them. I have seen Super 8, Thor and X-men and would rate all of them a lot higher. I personally wouldn't recommend Green Lantern if you haven't seen those 3. Super 8 was a good "formula" movie. If you don't like the formula though you might want to avoid it.

Watched it yesterday and thought it was okay.

Anyone else notice the shield that Sinestro conjured when he and Hal fought? An intentional jab at Marvel as it looked exactly like Captain America's shield.

Watched it yesterday and thought it was okay.

Anyone else notice the shield that Sinestro conjured when he and Hal fought? An intentional jab at Marvel as it looked exactly like Captain America's shield.

Yup

Plus Carols pilots name was Sapphire and she had the star Sapphire symbol on her helmet

Haven't seen GL, and don't intend to until it comes out on video. The previews didn't float my boat, and when there are this many bad reviews of a movie the consensus usually isn't wrong. Given our track record for movies this year my wife and I have been quite pleased, and I didn't want to spoil it.

Saw Thor, ...thought it was great and Kenneth Branagh's direction perfect.

X-Men, First Class, ...also excellent

Also, since it was mentioned for comparisons sake, I liked the earlier Hulk reboot with Edward Norton and the first Iron Man flick kicked *spoon*.

Marvel Studios track record has been pretty good over all, with the exception of a few hiccups; DC's, outside of The Dark Knight (Batman) franchise, not so much.

I still have concerns about the upcoming Captain America movie, but the re-envisioned character will probably play to a mainstream audience much better than the original GA character, and folks like me who believe that fiddling with the costume of a classic icon is sacrilege are in the minority. So, even if I don't like this reboot, it will probably be another franchise home-run hit out of the ballpark for Marvel.

DC needs to get on the stick, maybe with an Adam Strange film based on the original MiS series, or a classic Hawkman film (based on Kubert's visualization). Superman is getting long of tooth and the character's origin and many of the supporting characters are now co-owned by the original creator's estates, so without a serious reboot, absolute control over DC's Superman film franchise is in doubt.

I didn't feel like I had waisted my money or anything. I just thought it could have been a lot better. Hector Hammond just didn't do if for me. I wanted more OA more space and more training for sure. If it makes enough to get a sequel I think we will get to see a much better movie. More space more battles and more Sinestro.

I felt like the movie was a little rushed. Maybe editing cut out some things that may have made the movie flow a little more for me. Things seemed to be in fast forward at times and sluggish as well. Overall I wasn't disappointed and will watch it again on BluRay. I knew going in that being a GL nut I had to concede that it was hollywood's take on the characters not my take. So that being said it still wasn't as good as Thor or X-Men:FC sorry :(

I enjoyed this movie more than X-men FC. :o

Not sure all the hatorade going around on this movie. :eyeroll:

I was entertained the entire movie.

The CG was just right for me to feel like it was a Green Lantern movie.

I love some of you guys saying $50+ million on opening weekend is bad.

2013 you will see a sequel. :popcorn:

Not sure all the hatorade going around on this movie . :eyeroll:

Yeah,I don't get it either (shrug)

It's not Dark Knight great,but I enjoyed watching the movie.

This could be a good lesson for WB and DC Comics in the long run.

If they greenlight a sequel they need to make the following changes:

Hire a writer that's written a Green Lantern book (Geoff Johns anyone :whistle: )

Drop the 3-D :P

And make the CGI not look fake.

Haven't seen GL, and don't intend to until it comes out on video. The previews didn't float my boat, and when there are this many bad reviews of a movie the consensus usually isn't wrong. Given our track record for movies this year my wife and I have been quite pleased, and I didn't want to spoil it.

Saw Thor, ...thought it was great and Kenneth Branagh's direction perfect.

X-Men, First Class, ...also excellent

Also, since it was mentioned for comparisons sake, I liked the earlier Hulk reboot with Edward Norton and the first Iron Man flick kicked *spoon*.

Marvel Studios track record has been pretty good over all, with the exception of a few hiccups; DC's, outside of The Dark Knight (Batman) franchise, not so much.

I still have concerns about the upcoming Captain America movie, but the re-envisioned character will probably play to a mainstream audience much better than the original GA character, and folks like me who believe that fiddling with the costume of a classic icon is sacrilege are in the minority. So, even if I don't like this reboot, it will probably be another franchise home-run hit out of the ballpark for Marvel.

DC needs to get on the stick, maybe with an Adam Strange film based on the original MiS series, or a classic Hawkman film (based on Kubert's visualization). Superman is getting long of tooth and the character's origin and many of the supporting characters are now co-owned by the original creator's estates, so without a serious reboot, absolute control over DC's Superman film franchise is in doubt.

There's not a single word here with which I disagree.

Haters gonna hate bro.

Movie had its flaws but was entertaining, I really get the impression most of the people who ridiculed it and continued to hate on it didn't even bother to watch it. Sure it ain't perfect but the worst part about it is you could see the potential in it to really lead to something good.

Haters gonna hate bro.

Movie had its flaws but was entertaining, I really get the impression most of the people who ridiculed it and continued to hate on it didn't even bother to watch it. Sure it ain't perfect but the worst part about it is you could see the potential in it to really lead to something good.

Oh and the Parallax action figure is probably the coolest toy I've seen all summer.

+1 I saw yesterday night 3-D and liked it alot especially with beer, turkey wrap and nachos.