• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An English Collector in New York

25 posts in this topic

I've just returned from my first ever visit to the USA - my wife, mistress and I visited your capital city, New York, over Easter.

As an award-winning travel writer by trade (not really) I thought I'd entertain you with my comic-related observations...

but first some general questions....

1. Are New Yorkers representative of Americans everywhere?

2. Why does everyone in the service industry say "You're Welcome!" like they're actually telling you to "f*** off and die" ?

3. What is it with this obsession with tips and taxes? Everyone is so cash obsessed! By the end of the week I was fearful to even wipe my arse in case the hotel was charging for bog roll by the sheet!

4. Haven't you ever heard of pedestrianisation? What's the point of having roads in Manhattan?

5. Why is it every time you ask for any item from the menu at your 'diners' the waitress repeats it back in a totally disbelieving / sarcastic voice like you've asked for a bowl of steaming dog mess.

Example:

"Hello, can I have a round of toast please"

"Toast!!!!???"

"Erm, yes, toast"

"You want toast!?"

"Yes, toast."

"You say Toast!!!"

etc etc etc ad infinitum

6. Why oh why oh why oh why - does no-one drink TEA!!!!

Comics...

I went to NY with high expectations of seeing and buying some of the best comics in the world. This expectation was not met! While the wife went off to add to her shoe collection, I tried to visit every comic shop on the island...

50% of them were either non-existent, closed, or somewhat ironically, now shoe-shops!

The two biggies I'd seen advertised: Metropolis and Four Colour were just unwelcoming mailing addresses. Someone could've told me!

The remaining ones were just like UK shops - new stuff... nothing rare, nothing interesting - and I only saw one CGC item anywhere.

Only one shop was good: Time Machine - I think located at 168th street on 13th Avenue. That grid system...

Did I go to the wrong city for comics? Where should I go?

ANYWAY!

POSITIVES - great holiday - amazing city - great Museums, Central Park fab, Ground Zero very moving, good open top buses tours... nice tea when I found it...

893blahblah.gif

I've just returned from my first ever visit to the USA - my wife, mistress and I visited your capital city, New York, over Easter.

As an award-winning travel writer by trade (not really) I thought I'd entertain you with my comic-related observations...

2. Why does everyone in the service industry say "You're Welcome!" like they're actually telling you to "f*** off and die" ?

3. What is it with this obsession with tips and taxes? Everyone is so cash obsessed! By the end of the week I was fearful to even wipe my arse in case the hotel was charging for bog roll by the sheet!

4. Haven't you ever heard of pedestrianisation? What's the point of having roads in Manhattan?

5. Why is it every time you ask for any item from the menu at your 'diners' the waitress repeats it back in a totally disbelieving / sarcastic voice like you've asked for a bowl of steaming dog mess.

Example:

"Hello, can I have a round of toast please"

"Toast!!!!???"

"Erm, yes, toast"

"You want toast!?"

"Yes, toast."

"You say Toast!!!"

etc etc etc ad infinitum

6. Why oh why oh why oh why - does no-one drink TEA!!!!

Comics...

I went to NY with high expectations of seeing and buying some of the best comics in the world. This expectation was not met! While the wife went off to add to her shoe collection, I tried to visit every comic shop on the island...

50% of them were either non-existent, closed, or somewhat ironically, now shoe-shops!

The two biggies I'd seen advertised: Metropolis and Four Colour were just unwelcoming mailing addresses. Someone could've told me!

The remaining ones were just like UK shops - new stuff... nothing rare, nothing interesting - and I only saw one CGC item anywhere.

Only one shop was good: Time Machine - I think located at 168th street on 13th Avenue. That grid system...

ANYWAY!

POSITIVES - great holiday - amazing city - great Museums, Central Park fab, Ground Zero very moving, good open top buses tours... nice tea when I found it...

893blahblah.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif.... too many funny parts to pick and choose. Its all funny.

Comics...

1. No, thank god.

2. See #1

3. Because we pay people in our service industries very poorly, and they rely on tips to get by. We don't have socialized medicine and we don't believe in letting people live comfortably on the dole. Flip side question: why are Brits and other foreigners so stingy with tips? (Can you tell I've worked in the service industry?)

5. See #1

On comics, you should've done a little research beforehand. I think there was a thread on these boards discussing the sorry state of comic shops in NYC. Metropolis is not just a mailing address, they've actually got an amazing warehouse/gallery there, but it's by appointment only. Again, I think this was addressed in this thread.

Well New Yorkers .. I am afraid to say..

wear the fact that they are form N.Y. York like badge of Honour.

You can tell a person that you were in WW 2, Vietnam, and cured cancer..

And all they will say back is..

"Oh yeah?, well I live in N.Y. pal , so get over yourself"

The U.S.A. is made up of so many states, and so many paople, but for you to see only N.Y. and say you saw the U.S.A. would be a disservice.

N.Y., is by far the best we have to offfer, but can also be the worst.

It is an enigma..., once you get past the attitude, and enjoy the ride, it is all goood.

But if they smell fear on you.. its over pal.

27_laughing.gif.

So dont ask her shyly you want toast..in a courteous pleasant manner..

say to her.

" yo.. gimme some freaking toast , and dont burn it like last time I was here, and I might leave you a tip ".

.and I bet youll get some mighty fine toast when it arrives.

(I am j/k dont say that, you might get shot)

Go out west, and you will experience a whole different vibe... groovey man.

New york hasn't been our captial city in about 2 hundred some years.

Our capital City is washington DC. 893blahblah.gif

Sorry that your experience was so disappointing!

1 - New Yorkers are most definitely not representative of Americans everywhere. However, most of the people in NY who are a@@holes are actually other tourists. I'm serious. People come to NYC with this attitude that they have to be all defensive and tough or else they will get the [!@#%^&^] kicked out of you so they are often some of the rudest people. People in NY are also used to moving at a quick pace - something which can be interpreted as rudeness.

2 - The service industry in NY is top notch. I think you must be reading into this one . . .

3 - Tipping in NY is big, I definitely agree with you. Taxes is more of a nation wide thing though.

4 - In NYC I find it easiest to take public transportation (i.e. the subway) and then walk to places. It's why NY is generally a pretty thin town - people walk everywhere

Comics - Time Machine is on 14th and 7th, my personal LCS. Love that place.

Midtown Comics is a true beacon of comic glory located right in times square and Jim Hanleys right next to the empire state building is another terrific store.

Also glad to see that you had the chance to take in some of the cultural events. And personally I always wanted to take one of those open bus tours - I think it would give me a much different perspective on some familiar sites.

DAM

I'm a serious NYC fan....I've been to all 5 continents at least twice, have been to most major cities in the world, but there's just no place like New York...

In the early 90's I spent 5 consecutive Summers there and really fell in love with the place, and yes the people as well.

When you walk from Soho up to Midtown you just get charged by some sort of electrical current, the city feeds you energy, which is needed as every minute spent sleeping in New York is a wasted minute.

Where else in the world can you get a slice of Pizza with everything you can possible imagine for a bargain price at 3.AM in the morning ?

Where else in the world will the cabby admit to not knowing the way to your destination and let you tell him the best road to take.

Where else in the world do you pass celebrities on the street, looking relaxed and happy because nobody is really bothering them.

Where else in the world can you wear just what you like,even though you're committing several crimes against current good taste and still not get gawked at as there are people who dress even weirder on every street corner.

Where else in the world can you take 10 minutes to order a hefty brunch because you can decide on the tiniest details yourself....and then get exactly what you ordered...

ornament%20i%20love%20new%20york.jpg

All I keep hearing is the quirky little Sting tune ....

I dont drink coffee, I drink tea my dear..

I like my toast done on one side..

I'm an englishman in N.Y.

Whoo aaho.. I am an alien, Im a legal alien..

Im an englishman in N.Y.