• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"AFTER PRESS" PRICING for books NOT PRESSED YET.

359 posts in this topic

Not singling any one person out nor am I proclaiming this practice to be "right" or "wrong"... just wondering how others feel about the notion of charging "after press" prices, based on guessing (be it educated guess or not) of the projected outcome of that "press"... and then assigning "post press pricing" at guessed higher grades that haven't been obtained yet.

Opinions?

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not. Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.

I have to admit, post-press bread for pre-press comics is awesomely progressive. I would like to institute a program where I tell people what books are going to be hot, and they pay me the difference between what the book costs new and what they would have to pay for it 60 days later when it is super hot on Ebay. Any takers?

It seems ridiculous but it happens in every auction. Put "Original Owner collection" next to a book at auction and its almost guaranteed to go higher than another book in the same grade. I've never figured out why people assume OO means unpressed but whatever.

You also see every auction books going for double GPA because they are "pressable" so its happening every day already :(

I'm not a fan of someone pricing something for what it might become, no matter how "expert" or informed the opinion.

Related question: who is guaranteeing grades, because pressing aside, that is what this sounds like to me?

I finally got it but it took some work. At first I didn’t understand & it just didn’t make any sense. Then I discovered that it was fun because it challenged the old bean in new & exciting ways. There is still some residual uncertainty. That also heightens the fun by adding an element of risk to my purchasing decision that just wasn’t there before. All in all, the whole concept is really cool – like a sweet mystery novel or brain teaser or buying an object sight unseen but for a fleeting glimpse here & there.

People can charge whatever they want for their comics. Other people can choose to either buy them or not. Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.

It was actually a guarantee that I offered where raw books would come back in the assigned/advertised grades or people got there money back.

Most have came back in the grade advertised (ASM #101 bltch slap 9.4, FF #1 I recently sold), some came back in higher grades (X-men #24 9.4 came back 9.6, Batman #232 9.2 came back 9.6), the minority (maybe 2 or 3 books) came back in lower grades.

It was also around the time where I started a thread in general about not selling big dollar books without having them certified anymore where the grade discrepancy caused a massive price swing.

It was just not a smart position to put myself in because it really had little to do with the actual grade of the book and more to do with how a grader felt the book should grade on a particular day.

Of course, when someone scores huge, they're giddy with excitement and run with the cash but if a book came back 0.2 lower, I had to offer a refund. Now I just grade everything and let buyers argue with CGC about the grade.

:grin:

As far as paying GPA prices for raw books, collectors all see things differently depending on what they are used to collecting and buying. Exclusively Modern 9.8 or low/mid grade SA buyers might have a hard time understanding how people can buy raw books at multiple CGC/GPA prices but I have no problem doing it and many others do as well.

I guess it's all what you're used to dealing with.

Or they can choose to openly mock their pricing. Like Roy when he busted out his GPA for raw campaign in 2009.
I still have no problem quoting GPA prices when discussing raw books. It would just be silly to actually pay them. But it's good for informative purposes.

I'm all for it. (thumbs u

It would take away the motivation for the whole pressing game altogether.

We're in a state of flux.

Eventually, it will all subside.

(thumbs u

I'm not a fan of someone pricing something for what it might become, no matter how "expert" or informed the opinion.

Related question: who is guaranteeing grades, because pressing aside, that is what this sounds like to me?

People can ask what they want for books and buyers can either choose to pay the prices or pass.

It's a matter of risk/reward ratio to me.

Big risk, big reward. Also big possible loss.

To each their own.

As far as bigger book sales went, I was guaranteeing grades when I sold them raw.

The dealer the OP is refering to had a sales thread with some really cool, rare books. He offered them to the Boards raw with a disclaimer they were priced with a premium for potential. He was completely open and honest about it.

I believe they sold well = buyers were fine paying the premium to get some nice books. Is this any worse than HA charging a Buyer's Premium ? Also, I don't believe the dealer exagerrated the potential, mostly giving the nod to the 'tweeners'.

I think this approach is fine, but only with the right books. I don't think it would work with Bronze, Copper, or Moderns.

On the other hand, if an expensive book is big time downgraded from a 9.0 to a 5.0 or 4.0 due to a book-length non-color breaking subscription fold/crease that joey could press out in his sleep, i think a lot of folks would pay more for that book than a VG that is that way due to color breaking crease(s) or a rip or something. All hings being equal, you'd pay more for a small house that could easily be expanded than the equivalent house that could not, no?

I'll admit it, I sold a ST 110 here that I thought could look better with a pressing due to a big non-CB crease it had (and this was obvious from the scan) and that was factored into my price (alebit not by much).

The dealer the OP is refering to had a sales thread with some really cool, rare books. He offered them to the Boards raw with a disclaimer they were priced with a premium for potential. He was completely open and honest about it.

I believe they sold well = buyers were fine paying the premium to get some nice books. Is this any worse than HA charging a Buyer's Premium ? Also, I don't believe the dealer exagerrated the potential, mostly giving the nod to the 'tweeners'.

I think this approach is fine, but only with the right books. I don't think it would work with Bronze, Copper, or Moderns.

Yup, again it comes down to the collectors and the type of books. There is no rule that covers all scenarios.

Some tough books will fetch premiums regardless of grade.

Other books only fetch a premium because of the grade.

Lots of variables to consider.

I'm ok with it. I don't like my books smashed, so if I can get them un-pressed I prefer it. Dealers need to make a living, and this is the state of the market now. Obviously I would prefer to get the books for a price reflective of the grade, but I don't always get my way and I'm ok with that. As long as I can get them unmanipulated I'm happy.

And as someone else pointed out, it disincentivizes pressing.

All this thread is showing that fewer and fewer people want to leave any crumbs on the table.

More and more want the Reward while taking no risk.

I'm not sure that's how capitalism is supposed to work.