• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Jack Kirby Covers

107 posts in this topic

I like this retouch from Creatures On The Loose... I didn't know it was a reprint when I bought it back in '71, but still think it's better than the original; the greens and other colors give it a Skrullish alien look rather than the dark Mole Men shades. My favorite FF tale at the time was "Behold A Distant Star" from MGC#30, a reprint of FF#37.

46.jpg33-1.jpg

P.S. Is it true that you used to own a large chunk of the Green River collection?

You're getting confused. Mr B was the serial killer the other guy was the comic collector. :kidaround:

P.S. Is it true that you used to own a large chunk of the Green River collection?

Nope. I wish, but nope. I think the largest chunk I have had is maybe three books at one time.

Great Kirby cover...hmm. This thread could go on for quite a long time.

I will start out with some nice pre-hero covers...

ST_97.jpg

That's a nice one Atlasfan. :applause:

I think this is the best ST cover of all.

ST_97.jpg

tta_29.jpg

These two are favourites of mine.

The Strange Tales is iconic of science fiction in general.

I will start out with some nice pre-hero covers...

tta_29.jpg

When I saw the title of this thread, this cover was the first one I thought of. It has always been my all-time favorite cover by Jack Kirby. I'm glad it is someone else's too. Just brilliant composition and atmosphere!

TTA8.jpg

I've never seen this book before. I think it just became one of my favorite covers of all-time. The art, the lettering, the colors... just wow.

Mummex. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Great cover!

TTA8.jpg

I've never seen this book before. I think it just became one of my favorite covers of all-time. The art, the lettering, the colors... just wow.

The scan is a bit off, suffering from moire effect (dot pattern) that does not exist on the actual copy.

I was a casual collector of pre-hero issues prior to a fellow collector showing me his copy of this book. It was his favorite pre-hero and the only comic t-shirt he had was one that depicted this cover on the front of the shirt. He told he wore it to San Diego Con and was standing in a line to meet Kirby. Kirby noticed the shirt before he reached the head of the line and said, "I drew that cover!" My friend answered that it was a great mummy cover and Kirby replied, "Best damn mummy cover, ever."

This is the WM copy from Bob Overstreet's collection that I had the opportunity to purchase not more than 6 months after I first learned of the book. A friend of mine who was with me still reminds me how I had a hard time keeping my focus on driving because I had my head in the clouds over finding that copy. It's not only my favorite pre-hero book but one of my personal favorites among all of the books I own.