• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where can I buy better protection for comics?

46 posts in this topic

Toploaders work really well..They are just like the toplaoders for cards except they are bigger to fit comics..They are plastic with a opening at the top and hard plastic on all three sides..My silver age comics fit perfectly in them and they fit snug so they dont move aroung and cant get any corners bent up because of the hard plastic sides..They are also cheap..I get a pack of 10 for $15

I use Toploaders as well.I love em!

comicgroupshots.jpg

on a similar subject is there anyplace i can buy bags cases for hard covers ?..

I use to sell Mylar dust jacket covers. Now I pretty much just use what I have for my own personal collection. I collect many hardcover books other than comic oriented things and the sizes that I have happened to be big enough to be used for the Gerber Photojournals which isn't always easy to come by.

Toploaders work really well..They are just like the toplaoders for cards except they are bigger to fit comics..They are plastic with a opening at the top and hard plastic on all three sides..My silver age comics fit perfectly in them and they fit snug so they dont move aroung and cant get any corners bent up because of the hard plastic sides..They are also cheap..I get a pack of 10 for $15

comicgroupshots.jpg

+1

Used in combination with sealed mylar comic bags, these are close to perfect.

Toploaders are light weight, provide great spine protection, available in a variety of sizes and very affordable.

Apparently no plasticizers are used in the manufacture of toploaders, which should make them safe for long term storage when combined with mylar bags, but I'll add the caveat that I know of no published tests which verify the manufacturer's claim.

The only thing I wish, is that the manufacturer or some brilliant entrepreneur would design a specially fitted lid to seal the top; otherwise they're the next best thing to CGC slabbing for protecting valuable books. (thumbs u

comicgroupshots.jpg

Those are very cool also. I wish they would fit in long boxes...

A fortress won't fit either which stinks.

comicgroupshots.jpg

+1

Toploaders are light weight, provide great spine protection, available in a variety of sizes and very affordable.

Apparently no plasticizers are used in the manufacture of toploaders, which should make them safe for long term storage when combined with mylar bags, but I'll add the caveat that I know of no published tests which verify the manufacturer's claim.

The only thing I wish, is that the manufacturer or some brilliant entrepreneur would design a specially fitted lid to seal the top; otherwise they're the next best thing to CGC slabbing for protecting valuable books. (thumbs u

Toploaders are made from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) which degrades over time, releasing various forms of gaseous chemicals (including hydrochloric acid) that can seriously harm your comic book - they are not safe for long-term storage.

Toploaders are made from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) which degrades over time, releasing various forms of gaseous chemicals (including hydrochloric acid) that can seriously harm your comic book - they are not safe for long-term storage.

So much for that...thanks for letting us know

How does one store or transport a fortress? They seem to take up an awful lot of space. I've never owned one.

They are basically the same height and thickness of a CGC slab.

They are about an inch wider. Not much bigger than a slab.

comicgroupshots.jpg

+1

What if you use a mylar sleeve/acid free board inside protecting the comic from the toploader?

comicgroupshots.jpg

+1

But, what about if the books are bagged & boarded before going into the top loader?

comicgroupshots.jpg

+1

What if you use a mylar sleeve/acid free board inside protecting the comic from the toploader?

It's certainly better than putting a book in a poly bag with a non-acid-free board and then putting it in a toploader - but as the mylar sleeve isn't air-tight, there's still a possibility the off-gassing from the toploader would negatively impact the book. A small possibility, but one nonetheless. If the toploader starts getting murky, I would definitely replace it.

Practice abstinence my son.

It will prevent you from walking on eggs shells when you want to touch that thing

:devil:

If you must touch that thing Hotflips sells a thin film sealable condom so that when you have to touch that thing you won't catch anything. But be careful because over time they tend to get a little dried out and might rip/tear exposing you to that thing.

comicgroupshots.jpg

Those are very cool also. I wish they would fit in long boxes...

A fortress won't fit either which stinks.

I use magazine boxes for my CGC books. The fit isn't exact but they are much cheaper than buying CGC boxes.

comicgroupshots.jpg

+1

It's certainly better than putting a book in a poly bag with a non-acid-free board and then putting it in a toploader - but as the mylar sleeve isn't air-tight, there's still a possibility the off-gassing from the toploader would negatively impact the book. A small possibility, but one nonetheless. If the toploader starts getting murky, I would definitely replace it.

So what your saying is "In 200 years the slight off gassing may cause my books to go from white pages to off white pages"? Gotcha!

It seems to me that someone is missing a business opportunity.

Your right! Paging Hotflips,you need to come up with a mylar/non PVC type of holder that is as strong as a toploader. :idea: