• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

True Comic Book Collectors

38 posts in this topic

I collect for the art, and owning something that is old and rare. I'm 47 years old. Of all of the hobbies I have experienced, comic collecting sits on top. When I first started collecting, anything over $20 was an expensive book. I had very few worth over $20.

These days, I have a very narrow collecting focus. Also, many of the books cost $1000's each. I have always strived to complete something I have set out to do. For me to spent $300 to $400 thousand to complete a comic run, I need to combine collecting with investing.

My comment was actually a bit of sarcasm. What I believe is most here collect because they love comics. Most of us are aware of the cash involved, and the ability to gain or lose. But the main thing here is the love of comics, not the investment of.

How many people have books that are not popular of an easy flip, but still love those obscure books.

True collectors collect for a variety of reasons. Investment can be one of them.

For me, comic collecting is all about a love of the art combined with historical context. In a sense, it's a nostalgic curiosity about the world that existed one generation prior to my own.

I have very specific interests (artists, genres and characters) that rarely extend to runs, and I prefer high grade books that have the appearance of an original newsstand comic in hand or slab. I'm not sure where this passion for perfection comes from, but I've always been a condition freak, even when I bought comics as a kid. (shrug)

It's impossible to ignore the cost of collecting GA comics, especially in grade, but there is also wisdom in ignoring the investment strategies of self-professed experts when buying comics. It's a real buzz kill. :gossip:

My sig line is full of a bunch of books some would consider ...I may never be able to mannup but no one will ever question my love of comic books. I buy what I can afford, when I can afford it. You don't have to have a supposed 5 million dollar book locked away in a vault to be a true collector.

My comment was actually a bit of sarcasm. What I believe is most here collect because they love comics. Most of us are aware of the cash involved, and the ability to gain or lose. But the main thing here is the love of comics, not the investment of.

How many people have books that are not popular of an easy flip, but still love those obscure books.

I think I would question that the main thing here is the love of comics. Just my thoughts of course but if buying high graded CGC books then I think the investment side has taken top seat.

True collectors collect for a variety of reasons. Investment can be one of them.
Investments are meant to be sold. If you are truly "investing" you are holding until profit can be maximized, or before too much is lost. Flipping would be similar to investing, as you buy cheap or when timing is right. Collecting is buying for a collection, which is not far from hoarding, or OCD. I'm sure we collectors have something wrong with us.

My sig line is full of a bunch of books some would consider ...I may never be able to mannup but no one will ever question my love of comic books. I buy what I can afford, when I can afford it. You don't have to have a supposed 5 million dollar book locked away in a vault to be a true collector.
I agree Jamie. I am all about collect what you like and what makes you happy.

I believe in Buy and Hold, in comics, cars and stocks. But that is predicated on buying something you believe in because you love it or think it is a great product or company. Most of the favorite books in my collection I bought because I wanted them and thought they were great at the time and mainly still think that. Value had little to do with the purchase. Some books I bought off the stands and are worth quite a bit, others pretty much nothing. Some I bought from the original owners or at shows for Overstreet prices and they too have varied in price appreciation. Sure its cool to see the value go up but the underlying fundamental of why I bought them has not changed.

This philosophy has stood me well, although not selling much has its drawbacks as storage requirements increase. On the other hand, I don't buy more than ten books a year anymore and they need to be special. See paragraph 1!

Investments are meant to be sold. If you are truly "investing" you are holding until profit can be maximized, or before too much is lost. Flipping would be similar to investing, as you buy cheap or when timing is right. Collecting is buying for a collection, which is not far from hoarding, or OCD. I'm sure we collectors have something wrong with us.

So folks that collect do not care at all if the money they invest in the comics for their collections realizes any return during their lifetime?

So folks that collect do not care at all if the money they invest in the comics for their collections realizes any return during their lifetime?

Collectors of vintage comics costing $100 and up are probably pretty likely to have some financial motivation, even if it's to minimize the loss they might incur should they have to sell or as a speculative bet that is an adjunct to more typical/conservative investment strategies. I would not feel comfortable spending what I do without some due diligence on my part regarding near term and long saleability.

Collectors of vintage comics costing $100 and up are probably pretty likely to have some financial motivation, even if it's to minimize the loss they might incur should they have to sell or as a speculative bet that is an adjunct to more typical/conservative investment strategies. I would not feel comfortable spending what I do without some due diligence on my part regarding near term and long saleability.

Ding, Ding, Ding...We have a ^^

That isn't exactly it. I am saying that it likely is not the motivation for collecting.

That isn't exactly it. I am saying that it likely is not the motivation for collecting.

By using the word "likely" you are leaving the door open to its possibility.

And you do know this was mostly set up as a ribbing.

But to be honest. I would say most of us are not solely collectors. The majority here are collectors, and flippers or dealers. And there is nothing wrong with any of it IMO. I think we all find our little place in the hobby and enjoy it together.

'True' or 'Fake,' I just collect what appeals to me. High quality books from often unloved titles that come at good prices. High quality books from popular titles at prices that may not always be good. Hell, I worked very hard for a very long time and made more sacrifices than I probably should have to get where I am today so if I want to spend my money on it, regardless of future investment potential, I'm pretty much going to spend my money on it.