• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

They can call it whatever they want, as long as it doesn't s**k !

39 posts in this topic

The girl can be from anywhere where, Captain America is from America and has a shield with our colors. And those colors don't run!!

Technically isn't Captain America the captain of the entire continent of America ? hm

No.

*spoon* Canada.

*spoon* South America.

*spoon* you.

Any more questions? :sumo:

^^

The girl can be from anywhere where, Captain America is from America and has a shield with our colors. And those colors don't run!!

Technically isn't Captain America the captain of the entire continent of America ? hm

No.

*spoon* Canada.

*spoon* South America.

*spoon* you.

Any more questions? :sumo:

Always thought the shield looked like the Texas flag.

the other 49 states. :whatev:

Captian Texas! lol

Hell yeah :headbang:

I have Hispanic friends here in Texas who are originally from another country in North and South America. They ask "Why do you call yourselves Americans when everyone else from North or South America could do the same?" Well, that's the rub. Nobody else does. People from Mexico call themselves "Mexicans". People from Columbia call themselves "Columbians". Some of these countries were established before the USA and could have started calling themselves "Americans" if they wanted. I have no problem with someone from Mexico (or Canada) calling themself a "North American" or someone from South American calling themself a "South American", but an "American" is someone from the USA like Captain America.

If another country won't show the "Captain America" film without changing the title, I say great-Marvel, have some balls and don't distribute the film there.

Why are people getting their panties in a bunch over this?

US movie titles have a long history of not being literally translated when shown on foreign screens - and the same is true for foreign films being shown in the US.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", for instance, only carries that title in English-speaking countries - pretty much everywhere else in the world it's known as "Men Who Hate Women" (which is also the title of the original Swedish book). The US publisher thought the original title would be too harsh for American audiences and had it changed.

Really? That's a terrible title.

I think it's much more apt when you consider what actually happens in the books :shrug:

+1

And it's a shame, but if they hadn't made the change it probably wouldn't have achieved the success it did here.

That American title is just so much more.... marketable!

Which is really what it's all about.

Getting people to go see the movie.

And getting a mainstream American audience to go see a movie called 'Men Who Hate Women' would've been quite a task.

And believe it or not, trying to market a movie called 'Captain America' in some parts of the world right now, isn't easy or even possible right now.

See how that works everyone?

It isn't about politics or nationalism at all with the movie studios, it's about $$$$.

Like Michael said, this stuff has been going on for quite some time.

It's standard procedure.

It's all about promoting a film in such a way so that it can be as successful as possible in every market they can get it in.

So everyone here can still feel patriotic and safe. It'll be shown here as Captain America. Let's all go back to crying about continuity. (thumbs u

US movie titles have a long history of not being literally translated when shown on foreign screens - and the same is true for foreign films being shown in the US.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", for instance, only carries that title in English-speaking countries - pretty much everywhere else in the world it's known as "Men Who Hate Women" (which is also the title of the original Swedish book). The US publisher thought the original title would be too harsh for American audiences and had it changed.

I think it's much more apt when you consider what actually happens in the books :shrug:

+1

And it's a shame, but if they hadn't made the change it probably wouldn't have achieved the success it did here.

And getting a mainstream American audience to go see a movie called 'Men Who Hate Women' would've been quite a task.

And believe it or not, trying to market a movie called 'Captain America' in some parts of the world right now, isn't easy or even possible right now.

It isn't about politics or nationalism at all with the movie studios, it's about $$$$.

It's standard procedure.

It's all about promoting a film in such a way so that it can be as successful as possible in every market they can get it in.

So everyone here can still feel patriotic and safe. It'll be shown here as Captain America. Let's all go back to crying about continuity. (thumbs u

:applause:

People seriously need more things to worry about THATS the character's name why would they take it out of the title. If some people hate america that much then dont see the movie

I'm not surprised at South Korea wanting the title change

But shocked that Russia and Ukraine would, I thought they were past all that by now, is there still an unknown cold war?

I would have just went with Captain America to get those other countries to know the name Captain America,as sometimes being controversial can make you much more money. Think Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. They are two universally despised players,yet millions of people will watch them to see them lose. 2c

+1

It's standard procedure.

:applause:

It's descriptive of themes in the book, but it's a lousy title. It doesn't even sound like a novel, more like a sociology text from a tiny publisher out of Berkeley.

It would be like titling The Wizard of Oz "Girl Has a Wacky Dream", or titling Schindler's List "Man Buys Freedom for Hundreds of Jews". It tells you what the story is about, but doesn't draw you in.

It's descriptive of themes in the book, but it's a lousy title. It doesn't even sound like a novel, more like a sociology text from a tiny publisher out of Berkeley.

It would be like titling The Wizard of Oz "Girl Has a Wacky Dream", or titling Schindler's List "Man Buys Freedom for Hundreds of Jews". It tells you what the story is about, but doesn't draw you in.

The title obviously brought in plenty of the Swedish reading public.

I mean 'The Catcher in the Rye' isn't a great title is it?

The title obviously brought in plenty of the Swedish reading public.

I mean 'The Catcher in the Rye' isn't a great title is it?

Yes, it was popular in Sweden, but that's the whole point of this thread. Different titles appeal to different markets.

As for "The Catcher in the Rye", it's use of profanity, sex, alcohol abuse, and prostitution was shocking in 1951. It would have received national attention with any title. While some of the events in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo are disturbing, they're nothing we haven't seen before. I think the publisher was absolutely correct to change the title for the US market.

I always remember the Bond film "Licence to Kill" was originally called "Licence Revoked" but it was changed because:

"Another reason for the change was that "license revoked" denotes losing one's driving privileges in the USA."

And some confusion from the teaser artwork ensued. lol

I'm not surprised at South Korea wanting the title change

But shocked that Russia and Ukraine would, I thought they were past all that by now, is there still an unknown cold war?

I would have just went with Captain America to get those other countries to know the name Captain America,as sometimes being controversial can make you much more money. Think Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. They are two universally despised players,yet millions of people will watch them to see them lose. 2c

On free TV.

Go ahead. Spend millions on a movie called Captain Russia, or Captain Communist or even Captain Bolshevik about a super soldier made for the Russians, wearing a russian flag on his costume and battling in the 'Great Patriotic War' for the pride of his country and battling a menace called the Red, White, and Blue Skull.

The controversy surrounding it would not make your $150 million back for you.

There just wouldn't be much of an interest from an American audience for it.

See how that works?