• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

another reason not to trust PGX

40 posts in this topic

I also emailed to josh...but wanted to warn my fellow collectors!

you might be able to scrape glue, but you can't unclean a cover, so it is restored anyway you slice it!!!!

and i graded it a 3.0 to 3.5...no way it is even close to a 4.5!

Does PGX have a restored label? I could be wrong (and I probably am lol ) but I thought they just noted the restoration on the label and used the same blue label as they do for unrestored books.

If so, then isn't this more of an issue with the person who listed the book not having properly selected the drop down box to note that it is restored when listing the book (whether intentionally or inadvertently)?

I believe there are some people that would support CGC also use the same colored label for all books and to just note the restoration on the label (so as not to stigmatize restored books quite so much).

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read the extent of the resto in your original post!

I went to a local convention here in MA and they were giving a door prize away it was a Batman 1 PGX .05 or a 1.0 i honestly cant remeber. Anyways the book was only about half complete with a repro cover and it had a blue label stating the cover was a repro and nothing else i was shocked or the label may have said something but i know it didnt say ''missing half the book lol''

I always said there is a reason that folks send a high $ book to a grading company other than Cgc

I believe I have a scan of the book on my store computer. Will check tomorrow

I think the reason NOT to use PGX sits right there in that Sensation 1 Green Label!

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't that label read "1st app of Mr. Terrific, Wonder Woman, Wildcat"?

hm ...

I talked to a vendor about 6 months ago about Dan and PGX.He was telling me how Dan was treating him right with fast turnaround times and 15 a book fees.It all went well until his 3.5 xmen 1 got switched for a 1.5.

DONT USE PGX YOU WILL GET OVER

I had a bad PGX experience a few years ago. I bought a raw Four Color 62 and then found out that it was missing the centerfold. Not easy to detect a missing centerfold on that book because the stories flowed smoothly even without it. Disgusted, I decided to get a slabbed one and bought a PGX off Ebay. It was a blue label 2.5. First and only time I ever had the desire to break a slab, but I was determined to see that centerfold. Well, I broke it open and, lo and behold, no centerfold on that one either! I called the seller and told him I want my money back. He reimbursed me and then he called PGX to complain as he had just gotten it slabbed by them. They apologized and reimbursed his evaluation fees and explained to him that it was just a "label mixup." Sounded fishy. A label mix-up would presume that they had a second Four Color 62 to evaluate at the same time as the one I got. Just a fluke and honest mistake? Maybe, but it was the first and only time I ever broke open a slab. That's scary!

Don't think buying a CGC slab is fool-proof either. How many pages does Looney Tunes 20 have? 60? 68? I don't know, but neither does CGC (and the answer isn't 52!). Cracked this one yesterday, and the pissedoffedness is taking awhile to subside...

LT20grrrr.jpg

LT20grrrr2.JPG

Thing is, one of the first steps with CGC is to do a page count, right?

As for PGX: I just assume any PGX book to be the same as a raw, restored book. I don't seek them out, though. I have little use for their product.