• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

Here's the thing about snarky old school comics dealers.

They are used to being kings of their domain. Owning the only shop in town (or within a reasonable distance), being able to charge whatever worked for them with a semi-captive audience. Mail order was tricky for a long time, conventions sporadic. If you were an annoying customer they'd tell you to get the F out of their store and not miss the business. They could buy comics for 5 cents each and mark them up 1-50,000% all day. They sold lots of new issues, could salt away extras to sell for over cover, etc. It was a good gig.

I've dealt with that guy.

I agree completey because I wouldn't want the members to think differently of me because they don't agree .my thread or posts. We can agree to disagree and leave it respectful. It's when it gets hurtful with mockery and teasing that the forum can turn back into school antics....it's when that happens that wears thin on me here.

Because the internet is a very impersonal way of making things very personal. It's just the way it is. Some of us come off very different online than we do in person. However, that matters little because the online persona is the one we see. That's how we identify with each other (unless we meet in person that is). For example, my overall opinion of you goes back to when you first started posting here and that whole Schmell situation. That's probably unfair of me, but unless we were to meet and get to know each other, which is unlikely, I'm sure the opinions would change. Or perhaps they wouldn't. Who knows (shrug)

Interesting...you think less of me because I bought some comics from Schmell and defended my actions (before knowing all the years of backstory here about him). However, all of my positive dealings with well known members here and people saying i'm a good guy doesn't have any bearing on your opinion. It just boils down to one instance about Doug Schmell. What a joke.

Interestingly, when I went up to Jamie Graham's booth...he will sitting with Doug Schmell in his booth and they were nice and chummy. Yet, that's okay and Graham is a good guy... doh!

We all have our opinions of others based on their actions here...but to harbor those feelings into how you continue to treat someone is unfair and immature. We are supposed to be adults on here (at least most of us are).

I agree completey because I wouldn't want the members to think differently of me because they don't agree .my thread or posts. We can agree to disagree and leave it respectful. It's when it gets hurtful with mockery and teasing that the forum can turn back into school antics....it's when that happens that wears thin on me here.

Because the internet is a very impersonal way of making things very personal. It's just the way it is. Some of us come off very different online than we do in person. However, that matters little because the online persona is the one we see. That's how we identify with each other (unless we meet in person that is). For example, my overall opinion of you goes back to when you first started posting here and that whole Schmell situation. That's probably unfair of me, but unless we were to meet and get to know each other, which is unlikely, I'm sure the opinions would change. Or perhaps they wouldn't. Who knows (shrug)

Interesting...you think less of me because I bought some comics from Schmell and defended my actions (before knowing all the years of backstory here about him). However, all of my positive dealings with well known members here and people saying i'm a good guy doesn't have any bearing on your opinion. It just boils down to one instance about Doug Schmell. What a joke.

Interestingly, when I went up to Jamie Graham's booth...he will sitting with Doug Schmell in his booth and they were nice and chummy. Yet, that's okay and Graham is a good guy... doh!

We all have our opinions of others based on their actions here...but to harbor those feelings into how you continue to treat someone is unfair and immature. We are supposed to be adults on here (at least most of us are).

well said

time to move on to another topic :popcorn:

I'm done with this thread and it can slip away. I am moving on. :angel:

To borrow from a friend:

(in my best Inigo Montoya voice-)

I do not think "I am done with this thread" means what you think it means.

hm

What are you going to do if George already has a JIM 96 and wants to return it?

The point is mute now.

Is the point moot also?

There's always an expression stickler.

I could care less. :baiting:

I could not care less. :gossip:

THANK you. Doc. :applause:

Just one of those little pet peeves when "they" get that expression wrong.

Not that anyone could care less.

People will always judge other people by their words and deeds. For example, this thread. Some will see you as a concerned customer trying to right a wrong, and others will see your behavior as a customer who is a PITA. And, of course, there is much room in between and on either side of those bars. You can always check out the "Customer is Always Right" thread for a range of opinions on that subject.

What the hell is a PITA?

Well, used in this context, it is not flat bread of Mediterranean origin

What the hell is a PITA?

Well, used in this context, it is not flat bread of Mediterranean origin

"pain in the ."

People will always judge other people by their words and deeds. For example, this thread. Some will see you as a concerned customer trying to right a wrong, and others will see your behavior as a customer who is a PITA. And, of course, there is much room in between and on either side of those bars. You can always check out the "Customer is Always Right" thread for a range of opinions on that subject.

Exactly it usually breaks down like this.

5 percent of the people will really like you.

5 percent of the people will really dislike you.

90 percent of the people won`t give a mess.

(:

so fellow boardie and buddy hulksmashdave came to the store today, and told me about this thread (I am oblivious to most in general, sorry)... and just for grins and giggles I callled jamie's cell to listen to his voice mail (as I told dave, I knew he wouldn't answer, he never does, that is his "thing" )...

if you know jamie at all, you will know his vm is meant to be somewhat humorous, yet direct...again, it is his personal voice mail and some times customers get it and call, and he directs you to his store # in his way, but it is really really funny and creative (imo)...

due to size of the thread, I just don't have the time or energy to digest it all, but from what I have read, mark, I can't dissagree with you over your dissapointment...afterall, you are obviously upset by the situation and we all have the right to feel the way we feel after such dealings...

I can say that to me, I sum jamie up in one instance... my 8 year old son and I were at a con and my son was just "dying" to spend some money he earned working in my booth and buy a comic... we walk by jamies booth, and he randomly pulls out a $25 or so comic and says I want to buy this with my own money... I look at it, and realize that is "not" the comic my son needs to buy, and proceed to disuade him... jamie looks at the comic and tells my son to just take it, a gift from jamie (I didn't allow my son to take it, but it is the gesture than rang home with me!).... he really is that kind of person, regardless of how certain instances play out (and I am not commenting on them, just my personal experience with the man)

Hi GAtor,

I know we havent had the opportunity to communicate much in my year here and in a way I wish we were writing each other under different more positive circumstances. I've read a lot of your posts and think you are a valuable member for the forum.

I can appreciate your experience and I'm not saying Jamie is the incubus or devil.

With all due respect, you are a potential buyer and seller to Jamie and it's not hard to believe he would be nice to you because of that...you guys probably attend the same shows and have hung out. That was a nice gesture he did for you.

Unfortunately, he doesn't extend that same courtesy to new customers he doesn't know. Besides my experience others have posted their negative experiences with him as well. The fact he didn't answer Jerseycomicboy for over a month regarding a trimmed TOS 39 is inexcusable. I found out about that situation after my experience occured.

What you find funny about Jamie and his vmail is probably why he thinks it's okay to treat customers the way he does. His customer service skills are atrocious. If I was his friend sure I'd think his mail is funny. But I'm doing business here as others are too.

Giving your child a gift is very nice. All I was asking for is a phone call and not even from Jamie. Just a call back from his store to get some more comics and exchange the dupe I bought. I'm not spending 20k on books so maybe it's not worth their time to deal with me or others.

In the end, it's cool and its over. I'm sending you George's comic on Friday.

Thanks

I have been collecting comics since I was eight and I am almost 52 now. I have been to hundreds of shows and conventions starting with Orlando-con in 1975 and have done mail order since the old days of CBG and RBCC (my first CBG ad was 1974 and my first ad in the Overstreet PG was 1995 or so). I have dealt with the great and the a**holes, and everyone in between. I can honestly say that I have never dealt with a more pleasant and honest person than Jamie Graham. I would think that if you cant deal with Jamie, there is something wrong with you and not Jamie.

Sounds like you have a rather large collection. Is that right? Maybe even your own store?

With all due respect, you are a potential buyer and seller to Jamie and it's not hard to believe he would be nice to you because of that...

Unfortunately, he doesn't extend that same courtesy to new customers he doesn't know.

I have been collecting comics since I was eight and I am almost 52 now. I have been to hundreds of shows and conventions starting with Orlando-con in 1975 and have done mail order since the old days of CBG and RBCC (my first CBG ad was 1974 and my first ad in the Overstreet PG was 1995 or so). I have dealt with the great and the a**holes, and everyone in between. I can honestly say that I have never dealt with a more pleasant and honest person than Jamie Graham. I would think that if you cant deal with Jamie, there is something wrong with you and not Jamie.

hi Ken :hi:

That certainly doesnt seem to jive with what a LOT of people, even some of his friends sticking up for him, are saying in this thread hm

In my book, the measure of a man is not how he treats his friends but how he treats a complete stranger (thumbs u