• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Guide

80 posts in this topic

I downloaded the online version from Heritage. I'm kinda pissed that there's no ads, and none of the non-guide info is in the pdf. Just the data--that's it!

I just bought it too even though I'm getting the books as well. (It's tax deductible actually... heh)

I agree that the AVERAGE is a decent ball-park guestimate, nothing more. The system still needs to be revamped. The fact remains though that the state of the book can't be factored into the sales data because of the subjectivity involved with grading.

I downloaded the online version from Heritage. I'm kinda pissed that there's no ads, and none of the non-guide info is in the pdf. Just the data--that's it!

I just bought it too even though I'm getting the books as well. (It's tax deductible actually... heh)

Yes, it's an expense I'm writing off too. The printed book will make good filler material for my boxes I send out to customers foreheadslap.gif

I agree that there needs to be some revamping of the price system, but there is still a MASSIVE amount of information you just can't get from GPA. I'll bet GPA bought an Overstreet.

interesting point Sid, but are you just getting the average for assumed grade of VF since most buyers would bid as if it were a Fine+. Is it then a Fine+ average you are determining?

And i agree Sterling, that is true, we are taking the words of the advisors. and i KNOW they don't all grade accurately.

There must be a solution....

interesting point Sid, but are you just getting the average for assumed grade of VF since most buyers would bid as if it were a Fine+. Is it then a Fine+ average you are determining?

And i agree Sterling, that is true, we are taking the words of the advisors. and i KNOW they don't all grade accurately.

There must be a solution....

Shiver, you are talking Ebay with the bids here. I imagine the dealers that are reporting are factoring all sales including stores, Ebay and cons. Sure, buyers on Ebay probably assuming the book is a grade lower and bidding accordingly. But taking that into consideration the value of a VF IS factoring in lowballing the grade to a F+ or so. In other words, VF (in person) + VF (online bid as F+) = VF in guide. And etc. F+ advertised is F- bid. NM+ advertised is NM- bid. Therefore, the value of a VF when considering ALL sales is lower than what a VF would be had we not had online sales. However, online sales has helped pricing in other ways so I would not blame Ebay, etc. for lower guide values. ------Sid

Im sure fantasticfour and I could develop a system to rival GPA...all we need is a down payment... grin.gif

I would probably never want to compete with them...they've done too great a job and I have no reason to! I'm almost done doing the same Ebay scraping they do, only I scrape bidder info for my own use...not really a publicly marketable set of info there for privacy reasons.

sign-offtopic.gif...Can anyone sign on to GPA right now?,.....I can't log in half of the time.....it's not the best maintained web-site if you ask me....

blush.gif

Oh wait a sec....,...I take that back.....it was just up for an entire 3 minutes...!

True enough Sid, it just seems that most of the available data that can be crunched quickly enough for constant updating is ebay, so that might skew it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, there are many variables that can skew the numbers. Like many more sales online vs. in person or vice versa. But if we bid on a VF guided at $100 as a F+ price of $60, then when it "goes up" to $125 we'll still use the same ratio (everything is approximate and averaged) and bid at $75 F+ price. Geez, they gotta come up with some kind of average taking all variables into consideration. And with so many books out there, in so many grades, both raw and slabbed, they are doing a pretty decent job considering. -----Sid

I have been looking for Giant Size X-men #1 for an hour

Its under "Giant size..."

My nomination for "Lamest Listing Ever". Even Wizard puts it with the other X-Men issues.

27_laughing.gif....and we all know Wizard is the true source for all things comic related, especially prices and issue listings. 27_laughing.gif

I see you have reached a state of full enlightenment..

[Either that or ALL raw dealers cannot grade as a whole and are all inaccurate on one side of the VF (either all high or all low).. ------Sid

/quote]

I agree with that. All (OK, not all, how about 95%) are too high. blush.gif

99% of sellers seem to believe that non-color breaking creases have ZERO affect on the grade. 893frustrated.gif

I never have any problems with it. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it's your machine?

sign-offtopic.gif...Can anyone sign on to GPA right now?,.....I can't log in half of the time.....it's not the best maintained web-site if you ask me....

They don't, do they? stooges.gif

[Either that or ALL raw dealers cannot grade as a whole and are all inaccurate on one side of the VF (either all high or all low).. ------Sid

/quote]

I agree with that. All (OK, not all, how about 95%) are too high. blush.gif

99% of sellers seem to believe that non-color breaking creases have ZERO affect on the grade. 893frustrated.gif

same here - never have a problem with GPA thumbsup2.gif

I never have any problems with it. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it's your machine?