• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Vintage Cars

137 posts in this topic

Barrett-Jackson is often considered a better venue to sell vintage cars, particularly muscle cars. But that's where much of the action is.

I'd like to pick up a Boss 302 someday (or of course a Shelby) but a 9.0 copy of JIM 83 is easier to store--and more rare ;)

Best place? My garage of course! :grin: Restoration on my '69 GTO will be finished in 4 weeks. After that, it COULD be for sale....

4 weeks in restoration time = 4 years in real time. :baiting:

I was searching on craigslist intensely for a while and went to look at some in person. Most of them were bondo buckets. Places like Barret Jackson have nice stuff, but it goes for way too much money. I think it would be tough to buy there without wanting to be the end-user.

Here you go...

http://www.duffys.com/

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/index.xhtml

http://mecum.com/

http://www.fastlanecars.com/Public/FastLaneHome.aspx

A really great resource is Hemmings.

http://www.hemmings.com/

I look at these sites often....what are you looking for?

Best place? My garage of course! :grin: Restoration on my '69 GTO will be finished in 4 weeks. After that, it COULD be for sale....

Do you have any pics.I would love to see your baby

My buddy who is doing the work has been taking before and after pics. Ill PM you his FB page and you can see what he has done so far (thumbs u

A 1969 Goat? Gran Turismo Omolagoto (sp) Goes like the wind, if I remember correctly. Brings back memories. Back in 1984 I had traveled to Florida to buy a nice no rust muscle car. In the early 80's you could pick up halfway decent 1968-1972 American Muscle cars for anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 or so as I remember.

I found a convertible 1969 GTO with a Muncie 4 speed and the tach on the hood and all and it looked good. If believe it was a real GTO and not just a made up clone.

They wanted $1,200. It had a solid body but the paint was a bit faded, but I was not able to buy it. I had the money but it was in my Michigan bank account and these people would not take a check, which I guess I could not blame them.

I was young and was more concerned about carrying cash so I had traveled without realizing I might have trouble accessing my money. Well the car was a nice one to test drive, but that was it.

So I went home to Michigan without a nice Florida car, but it turned out all right. On the way home from the airport I saw a 1969 Camaro for sale for $2,500. We stopped and I offered the guy $2,000. I got it for $2,200. I've had it for 27 years this month (and it is really due for it's second new paint job.)

I remember in those years going to pick parts at a junk yard and seeing all those 1st generation Camaros being crushed along with everything else. It would be kind of like living in the 40's and seeing all of the GA comics going out with the newspapers that my grandma had told me about.

At that time I had also owned a couple of 1969 Camaro parts cars but I had to get rid of them as my dad did not want them laying around the farm. Like anything else, I never figured they would appreciate in value. Oh well.

Ive looked at Mecum auctions before. The cars just go for so much friggin' money. I love the muscle car look and history, but for what a quality condition GTO, Camaro, Roadrunner or similar car goes for (from a quality year), I could buy a true sports car. Most muscle cars aren't 100k pieces, but many certainly fetch 20k-50k now. For that, I'd rather buy a sports car. It's a shame though, because I'd really love to own a sweet 71' Camaro or Charger. I just can't bring myself to pay what they are currently going for. :(

Ive looked at Mecum auctions before. The cars just go for so much friggin' money. I love the muscle car look and history, but for what a quality condition GTO, Camaro, Roadrunner or similar car goes for (from a quality year), I could buy a true sports car. Most muscle cars aren't 100k pieces, but many certainly fetch 20k-50k now. For that, I'd rather buy a sports car. It's a shame though, because I'd really love to own a sweet 71' Camaro or Charger. I just can't bring myself to pay what they are currently going for. :(

Steve, some people might say that for comic books too.