• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A flip of a coin, and a rare foreign key……

77 posts in this topic

Yeah, I mean it's not like the fine young gentleman was giving you honest info about the scarcity of the book, which you then promised to offer to him first, and then publicly reneged on. (shrug)

You will fit in just fine here. (thumbs u

I also have some orphans who have way to many toys and some puppies ripe for the kicking. The bus of Nuns does not need two sets of brakes and that old woman has been hogging the bench seat forever!!

HYPERBOLE

I consider myself as well, but when I saw how badly they both wanted it I started thinking about it differently.

What if now a third person wants it badly?

Tournament style coin flip-off.

Unfortunately one way or another, somebody will get a flip-off when this is done :baiting:

I don't know chesperito and don't think I've ever talked to him so no offense meant to him by this.

I have talked to liaton a few times and he seems like a REALLY nice, cool kid. I know for a fact that he has a passion for foreign editions as strong as ANY of our passions for whatever runs we collect. I also know imo(not for a fact) that as nice as he is, even if this was KILLING him, he would agree to the coinflip and act like it didn't bother him. Maybe it truly doesn't bother him but my gut says that it does or it will if he loses the coinflip.

Again, no disrespect to chesperito but the book was promised to liaton and he freaking LOVES these things. Regardless of what he agreed to, do the right thing and give the book to liaton! He definitely deserves it and rightfully it should go to him if your a man of your word. I don't care how sweet a deal chesperito is offering, the book should be liatons (thumbs u

Forget the coin toss and do the right thing rantrant

I remember buying comics when I was in Greece in '79 and they were B&W Marvel reprints with a some "color" pages. I say "color" because it looked like the publishers recruited blind people to do the work. Very little of it matched and it tended to be all over the place. I may still have some of those comics in a box somewhere. Hopefully things have improved since then

Hey, if you guys can think of a more intersting way to do this? Lets discuss it... hm

Instead of a coin flip have it be Russian Roulette. And have them do it in a cage with a honey badger.

deerhunterroulette2.jpg

I cannot believe this was made into a thread. I do not like transactions to be made public. Liaton can keep the comic, I'm crafty enough to find my own copy in the future. I thank Mike and Liam for this interesting op, but I do not like things like this to be public. Everyone have a nice day...sorry for any inconveniences that I might have caused.

Just saw the thread now.

First of all, I want to say everything Matthew has said is correct. He has told no lie and has not exaggerated anything.

Secondly, I want to say that before anything else, Matthew is an amazingly nice guy who wants nothing more than to enjoy and help others enjoy the collecting world (whether it be comics, stamps, coins or Hot Wheels for his young boy).

Saying that, I will tell my exact side of the story.

Just like Matt said, I recently created the thread about my research on foreign editions. He responded posting his book, which intrigued me very much, so yes, I PMed him within twenty minutes of his post. I told him I sadly had no real info, but that I collected that issue in foreign editions so I would be interested in buying it for a fair price, one which would make him a profit. I also offered a trade, which would be determined if he was interested. He replied a few days later and said he wasn't interested in selling at the moment, but that even though there were other parties interested in the book, he would keep his word that I would be the one he would let it go to (he did use the term "man of my word" and I believe he absolutely is one).

Discussions continued from there about the origin of the book and the scarcity, and a few days later, he PMed me saying he had a solution that would hopefully satisfy both Hector and I. I called him a few days later, and we talked for around half an hour, in which we talked about foreign books in general, and then he explained that since Hector had offered him a very good deal, but I had been the one he promised the book to, he would like to do a coin flip. This would be a public thing, with the main reason behind that being to attract attention to foreign books in general. We both agreed on the fact that they don't get enough attention, so in my mind, while I was aware there was a 50/50 chance I wouldn't get the book I was promised (the sale was originally theoretical of course; he never said he was going to sell the book), I did agree this would be a cool thing to do.

I put all thoughts of ethics aside in this situation because I was of the mindset that this would be a terrific way to publicize how much foreign books mean to me, and to my mentor in foreigns, Hector.

It was my understanding that Hector was fine with the thread, but I guess there was some miscommunication along the way.

I want to reiterate more than anything - Matthew is NOT a shady dealer. He is NOT trying to take advantage of Hector or I. His sole reason for doing this was for the foreign comic community as a whole. I don't want anyone to be considered at fault here, and I don't want anyone thinking badly of Matt. I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page as to what went down here.

For the record, the books I offered him were:

-German ASM 129

-French, German and Italian copies of ASM 252

Anyways, I'm tired and I need to sleep. I hope my explanation clarified everything for everybody.

This is going to end badly, and I love it. Is it Friday where that book came from?

You were right. Could have been worse, but you were right. More unfortunate than bad, though. Without a doubt, a "posting lesson" to be learned here.

Yeah, I mean it's not like the fine young gentleman was giving you honest info about the scarcity of the book, which you then promised to offer to him first, and then publicly reneged on. (shrug)

You will fit in just fine here. (thumbs u

I also have some orphans who have way to many toys and some puppies ripe for the kicking. The bus of Nuns does not need two sets of brakes and that old woman has been hogging the bench seat forever!!

HYPERBOLE

I thought you were down with like reneging.