• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On speaking terms and trying to solve the problem

448 posts in this topic

A Neg is never an instument to get a seller to respond favorably. A buyer gives a neg, the seller will not cooperate at all, they have zero reason to, you just gave the ultimate middle finger. I am sure this particular seller did send the lot as he said, as he always does, he is a miodel ebay seller.
If he is a model ebayer, then the communication and the willingness to resolve issues is lousy..... .I'm not questioning the fact that he sent out the books..... The issue is his unwillingness to resolve problems, at least in this case (before the neg. feedback was ever posted)....

What would you have liked him to do? His information says the books are in Germany, yours says something in German, apparently that they have been returned. He doesn't have them, and you have indicated that you don't have them and you are not going to check any of the "100s" of postal offices within 30 miles of you.

What should he be doing that you are doing to resolve the issue? The real answer is that you needed to be patient until the thing sorted itself out better. But you didn't and you negged him and now you are SOL.

Your impatience and irascible nature has just as much to do with this as the shipping SNAFU. Own it.

I'm going to dub you the ginger hammer.

Nail on head.

You almost got a taste earlier with that double post of your rambling namby-pambyisms. But I am too busy.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you were commissioned by the free speech police.

:baiting:

Just because speech is free doesn't mean you should unleash a double dose of the same shiite.

There's good shiite and there's bad shiite.

Those words were necessary to be unleashed onto the interwebs.

Ebay has become a real trash heap to buy through. There are so many bad sellers that it really is caveat emptor. The only tool we have to fix this and force sellers to clean up their act or get out is the feedback system. Most of the time, people have a bad experience with a seller, chalk it up to a learning experience and then don't leave any feedback, or worse, leave positive feedback (thinking they don't want to be a jerk about $40 or whatever). If the buyer has to send books back to the seller, it was not a good experience. If the buyer feels that the books aren't as advertised, that isn't a good experience. Everyone freaks out about someone tarnishing a sellers 100% positive feedback, but if it isn't truly deserved, then it is a lie.

True, but in nearly as many ways eBay has become much worse to sell through. Without the power to leave negative feedback for buyers sellers are now held hostage much moreso than in the past. Buyers can also make harassing Paypal or "item not received" claims that are slanted toward the buyer and put the seller at a huge disadvantage. These can freeze up your entire business for days, even if you are not at fault. This is particularly true for smaller items that most sellers won't think about adding tracking to (especially now when they have to pay fees on shipping costs, as eBay is forcing them to eat more and more fees while allowing them less and less shipping money to offset those fees). And this is before you ship anything internationally, which has always been a minefield of uncertainty. I never sold much internationally, but I had the bad luck of about 10% of my international sales falling into some sort of problem. This is why I generally don't sell outside the US & Canada anymore. Overall eBay has become a much more unpleasant place for both buyers and sellers.

This is particularly true for smaller items that most sellers won't think about adding tracking to (especially now when they have to pay fees on shipping costs, as eBay is forcing them to eat more and more fees while allowing them less and less shipping money to offset those fees).

For items shipped within the US, delivery confirmation (= tracking) is automatically included when you print your postage through eBay/Paypal - it's not something you have to add.

This is particularly true for smaller items that most sellers won't think about adding tracking to (especially now when they have to pay fees on shipping costs, as eBay is forcing them to eat more and more fees while allowing them less and less shipping money to offset those fees).

For items shipped within the US, delivery confirmation (= tracking) is automatically included when you print your postage through eBay/Paypal - it's not something you have to add.

Definitely true, but not everyone uses that service. They should, but many don't. There is also a page directly on the USPS site that will give you a discount on over the counter shipping rates (not sure if the eBay/Paypal service does this).

One of the greatest Ebay sellers of all time. Sorry you are having trouble.

In my experience, I'd have to agree...great books, great service and has always been willing to work with me.

I'm very sorry you're having a problem with a guy who's normally a great seller :(

Definitely true, but not everyone uses that service. They should, but many don't. There is also a page directly on the USPS site that will give you a discount on over the counter shipping rates (not sure if the eBay/Paypal service does this).

In all honesty, if you're selling on eBay and not using eBay's service to print postage, you're a bit of a - you get the same discounts that you get on usps.com, you can print media mail / first class domestic postage (which usps.com won't allow you to do), and the buyer automatically gets an email with the tracking number. It's a win-win all around.

Heck, you can use Paypal's shipping form (with all the benefits listed above) even for items not sold through ebay - the page below allows you to print postage for anything:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

(And, yes, I know that some people prefer using UPS/Fedex for higher-priced items, but as those services include tracking by default, they didn't seem relevant here).

Twice? Let's see what that is like

FU

FU

You're right, it is pretty sweet.

My words were copied and pasted into the appropriate target market.

Yours are still looking for theirs.

:whatev:

And if you, whoever you are, think that negative feedback is necessarily the end of the transaction, you don't fully understand how the feedback system works these days.

Negative feedback CAN be revised. In fact, I have left negative feedback for a relcalcitrant seller who, after cooling off, approached me, apologized, fixed the issue, and I happily revised the feedback to a positive one.

Many times, people simply cannot deal with ANY kind of seeming confrontation, which includes any hint that they may have done something incorrectly. Defensiveness follows.

Most of the time, people have a bad experience with a seller, chalk it up to a learning experience and then don't leave any feedback, or worse, leave positive feedback (thinking they don't want to be a jerk about $40 or whatever).

While I agree this has been a problem with eBay for a long time, it's never going to be fixed. It's way too late to get that problem fixed.

If the buyer has to send books back to the seller, it was not a good experience. If the buyer feels that the books aren't as advertised, that isn't a good experience.

And this isn't true, well not totally anyway. Everybody makes mistakes, it happens, it's the way the person making the mistake deals with it that defines how good or bad the experience was.

On the flipside, this is Dupcak's MO so it makes him look like a saint to uneducated buyers.

I have not dealt with Todd in a few years, but when I did it was always pleasant and easy. We had some good chats on the phone and I found him to be anything but a grouch.

Maybe you could phone him and apologise about rushing in with the negs and explain you just got worried and frustrated and would be willing to get them removed, which would not be too hard?

Hopefully then you will get your comics, and he can help with the situation, if there is no joy you still have paypal claim which you can wait for up to 45 days (unless it's changed).

Shame it's come to this, but as soon as you did the negs you must have realised he would not want to help you with the problem?

I had a similar tracking thing with a Spidey 1 I posted to Canada, got over there very fast, site said pretty much same thing. Seller got in a panic, filled a paypal claim straght away, which I was not happy about as it was only 5 days I did some checking and they said it might still be on the van on route, two days later he had it posted even though it said on the site a delivery had been attempted already.

might be worth trying the van that does the rounds if it's not at the post office.

herc

Very few people are grouches when there's no problem.

It's not how someone handles a perfect transaction that determines their true worth as a seller...it's how someone handles a problem. Anybody can handle perfect transactions.

A Neg is never an instument to get a seller to respond favorably. A buyer gives a neg, the seller will not cooperate at all, they have zero reason to, you just gave the ultimate middle finger. I am sure this particular seller did send the lot as he said, as he always does, he is a miodel ebay seller.
If he is a model ebayer, then the communication and the willingness to resolve issues is lousy..... .I'm not questioning the fact that he sent out the books..... The issue is his unwillingness to resolve problems, at least in this case (before the neg. feedback was ever posted)....

What would you have liked him to do? His information says the books are in Germany, yours says something in German, apparently that they have been returned. He doesn't have them, and you have indicated that you don't have them and you are not going to check any of the "100s" of postal offices within 30 miles of you.

What should he be doing that you are doing to resolve the issue? The real answer is that you needed to be patient until the thing sorted itself out better. But you didn't and you negged him and now you are SOL.

Your impatience and irascible nature has just as much to do with this as the shipping SNAFU. Own it.

I keep repeating myself.....All of the efforts of the seller to resolve where to tell me since the end of june that I was too lazy to go the post-office where the books would be, although he could never had the information that they were (he made it up)....IMHO he couldn't suffice with that, so I posted the neg. feedback.... I would like to see how you would have reacted.

I have not dealt with Todd in a few years, but when I did it was always pleasant and easy. We had some good chats on the phone and I found him to be anything but a grouch.

Maybe you could phone him and apologise about rushing in with the negs and explain you just got worried and frustrated and would be willing to get them removed, which would not be too hard?

Hopefully then you will get your comics, and he can help with the situation, if there is no joy you still have paypal claim which you can wait for up to 45 days (unless it's changed).

Shame it's come to this, but as soon as you did the negs you must have realised he would not want to help you with the problem?

I had a similar tracking thing with a Spidey 1 I posted to Canada, got over there very fast, site said pretty much same thing. Seller got in a panic, filled a paypal claim straght away, which I was not happy about as it was only 5 days I did some checking and they said it might still be on the van on route, two days later he had it posted even though it said on the site a delivery had been attempted already.

might be worth trying the van that does the rounds if it's not at the post office.

herc

This is what I would have done normally....but I just couldn't convince the guy that the books weren't at the post-office. Stating that they were, was the only thing he did with my problem!

Very few people are grouches when there's no problem.

It's not how someone handles a perfect transaction that determines their true worth as a seller...it's how someone handles a problem. Anybody can handle perfect transactions.

That brings it to the point exactly....... I will have to wait for the PayPal decision, the Seller never really bothered to solve it....

I keep repeating myself.....All of the efforts of the seller to resolve where to tell me since the end of june that I was too lazy to go the post-office where the books would be, although he could never had the information that they were (he made it up)....IMHO he couldn't suffice with that, so I posted the neg. feedback.... I would like to see how you would have reacted.

For all he knows, since he doesn't know you from Adam, you're pulling a fast one on him.

Not saying you are, but how does he know that?

Have you guys every done business with each other before?

Most people who have done this for a while would have either been patient or counted it as a loss.

There are plenty of board member who have had books go missing between two honest parties only to have them show up again inexplicably. I've had books go to Australia by accident. I've had books held at the concierge's front desk for 2 weeks while tracking says delivered and the book has not shown up at the buyer's door. I've had a book sit for a few days in a post office but the post office knows nothing about the book.

???

If the book were sent with tracking and the tracking messed up, that's not the seller's fault.

mess happens. Be patient until it's sorted, and if it isn't sorted, you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. Be polite and maybe you and Langes can work something out that is amicable to both of you. After a reasonable period of time has passed.

Long time dealers are generally reasonable when there is a screw up along the way but if you push too hard you break the welcome mat.