• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thing prequel trailer

62 posts in this topic

Can't see why this is called a prequel.

Looks like a straight remake to me...

i.e. a third film version

No, this is a prequel. This movie takes place at the Norwegian camp. The Norwegians find the Thing in the ice. All the elements in the trailer suggest that this movie takes place before Carpenter's film.... The dog we see in the trailer eventually makes it's way to Kurt russel's camp at the beginning of that film.

The trailer shows one of the guys in the camp with a beard, just like the guy that lands in the American camp trying to kill the dog and gets a single tap in the head by El Capitain. Looking forward to seeing this.

:headbang: Carpenter's The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies.

"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is!"

the-thing-1982-richard-masur-donald-moffat-kurt-russell-pic-1.jpg

I don't know. Still pretty peeved at all of the remakes of classic movies which are better left alone. Of course, John Carpenter's the Thing was also a remake, but it was BETTER than the original. The screenplay and practical F/X make it such an incredible movie! I'm willing to bet there will be 90% CGI going on in this to screw the entire production up. What other movie will Holly-weird be willing to mess with, Fright Night? Oops, spoke too soon. Yet another classic movie from my youth to be destroyed for future generations. :cry:

I only recently found out that the Norwegian spoken by the guy who reaches the American camp translates into English as "Get the hell outta there. That's not a dog, it's some sort of thing! It's imitating a dog, it isn't real!'

Gives the game away a bit. lol

(Mentioned on imdb.com and Cracked.com)

I was going to post this myself. If you spoke the language, you got the spoiler at the beginning of the movie. Much like the beginning of Ironman.

Looks pretty good! Funny how all the scary stuff begins with the line: "Did you hear that?" :fear:

No human being would stack books like this lol

:roflmao:

You guys made my day!

Prequel looks great-fingers are crossed for a great movie!

BTW: Only one of the characters needs to speak straight Norweigian" to make the 80's Thing and this movie mash up. Hopefully they get it right to shut us disgruntled fan boys and girls down! lol

:banana: Chris

I am a huge fan of Carpenters The Thing remake. I thought the story, FX, production, everything were tops.

This trailer looks very good but I just don't see myself paying money to go see it when I was so happy with the last film.

The guy who did the FX for The Thing was Rob Bottin. Rob was an apprentice of Rick Baker who did (American Werewolf in London) and Rob really outdid himself with The Thing. To me, the FX were some of the best at that time.

It will be interesting to see if they can improve on it over 20 years time...

Interesting fact:Bottin also worked on the Star Wars cantina scene creatures. He was, in fact, the tallest player in the Cantina band. He kept some of the masks from that scene in his private collection

Try naming horror classics they're not remaking!

Night of the Demon (1957).

What a brilliant film!

I really, really hope it doesn't get remade and ruined with CGI overkill. Completely unnecessary. A lot of the film's power comes from the ability of the director, Jacques Tourneur, to create a sense of creepiness and disorientation through shadowing, editing and a few simple camera effects.

I am a huge fan of Carpenters The Thing remake. I thought the story, FX, production, everything were tops.

This trailer looks very good but I just don't see myself paying money to go see it when I was so happy with the last film.

The guy who did the FX for The Thing was Rob Bottin. Rob was an apprentice of Rick Baker who did (American Werewolf in London) and Rob really outdid himself with The Thing. To me, the FX were some of the best at that time.

Interesting fact:Bottin also worked on the Star Wars cantina scene creatures. He was, in fact, the tallest player in the Cantina band. He kept some of the masks from that scene in his private collection

The FX in Carpenter's The Thing was great and is still looks awesome to this day.

I'm interested in how the prequel will stand up to the 1982 film hm

What a brilliant film!

I really, really hope it doesn't get remade and ruined with CGI overkill. Completely unnecessary. A lot of the film's power comes from the ability of the director, Jacques Tourneur, to create a sense of creepiness and disorientation through shadowing, editing and a few simple camera effects.

I love that movie, as does Kate Bush!

I don't think it's that well known in the US where it was released as, I think, Curse of the Demon, so it's probably way off the Hollywood remake radar.

What a brilliant film!

I love that movie, as does Kate Bush!

I don't think it's that well known in the US where it was released as, I think, Curse of the Demon, so it's probably way off the Hollywood remake radar .

You never know what Hollywerid will find to ruin :gossip:

The FX in Carpenter's The Thing was great and is still looks awesome to this day.

Even the stop motion stuff is fantastic.

Even the stop motion stuff is fantastic.

I know right? :)

I dont get the end-

they had 3 guy setting up tnt. the first guy gets killed, then the 2nd guy (younger cook on skates) gets killed off camera following the thing. neither of their tnt goes off.

thing comes up from underground and takes kurt's tnt below. kurt only has one stick left, throws one stick and it blows up that specific thing plus the entire complex?

Picky :baiting:

I dont get the end-

they had 3 guy setting up tnt. the first guy gets killed, then the 2nd guy (younger cook on skates) gets killed off camera following the thing. neither of their tnt goes off.

thing comes up from underground and takes kurt's tnt below. kurt only has one stick left, throws one stick and it blows up that specific thing plus the entire complex?

Picky :baiting:

I've got more questions on the movie than just that, sister :baiting:

Still, I think a prequel will be fun

lol

I think the prequel will be fun to watch too.

It cost $35mill to make the prequel(most of the $$$ went to FX and CGI)

Which is why you don't see big name actors in the movie.