• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Steve, no Mark, no West...who's grading Golden Age books these days?

97 posts in this topic

Shawn Sean?

Chone

I just did it to bust his balls. He hates being called SEAN.

:devil:

So does Chone.

thinking more like Shon

Shondra.

Maybe I should move to Sarasota and apply for the job?

I've always wondered how much they pay. Might be a nice retirement gig, but then I'd have to learn how to grade low grade comics. :eek:

I've always wondered how much they pay. Might be a nice retirement gig, but then I'd have to learn how to grade low grade comics. :eek:

Don't forget, all of the new graders start as "pre-graders" who have to count all of the pages. More than learning how to grade low grade books, you are going to need to learn how to spend eight hours or more doing mind-numbing, repetitive page counting.

Wouldn't be a problem for me lol

Don't forget, all of the new graders start as "pre-graders" who have to count all of the pages. More than learning how to grade low grade books, you are going to need to learn how to spend eight hours or more doing mind-numbing, repetitive page counting.

Sounds like being a junior associate all over again! lol

Wouldn't be a problem for me lol

It'd mostly be an attitudinal problem for me. I'd be like, "8.5, 6.5, 2.5. What the hell's the difference?"

Might be a nice retirement gig

A friend of mine was telling me about working for a grading company. It went fine for a couple months but the grind of grading item after item wore him down. At the end he was grading a couple items per day. If you don't have the mind or the motivation for it, it can be a severely depressing vocation.

So plitch is probably grading golden age, but there are supposed to be three graders on each book, one of whom is the head grader. Even if plitch is the head grader, who are the other two?

To tell you the honest truth, my concern would extend beyond the issue of consistency of grading which CGC has been known to have problems with.

I would also be worried about pedigree verification which was both Haspel's and West's area of expertise. I wonder who they have assigned this task to for now? hm

So plitch is probably grading golden age, but there are supposed to be three graders on each book, one of whom is the head grader. Even if plitch is the head grader, who are the other two?

To tell you the honest truth, my concern would extend beyond the issue of consistency of grading which CGC has been known to have problems with.

I would also be worried about pedigree verification which was both Haspel's and West's area of expertise. I wonder who they have assigned this task to for now? hm

Good point.

Might be a nice retirement gig

A friend of mine was telling me about working for a grading company. It went fine for a couple months but the grind of grading item after item wore him down.

And going along with this, though I think it'd be an extremely cool job from many perspectives, it's maybe not something too many people could do forever, particularly when you factor in the concept that you have to curtail some of your collecting-related activities for ethical and practical reasons. I think that's a big part of what might make it hard over the long haul as well. Seven years is a long time when you think about it from that perspective.

I don't know West except by reputation, but I'm delighted to see him more active on the boards sharing his knowledge of the hobby. The Edgar Church art thread alone is pure gold. (thumbs u

Good point.

Just to add a little perspective, Borock, Mark and West all learned their areas of expertise over time. There are a few graders who have been with CGC for a long time and Litch has been there for a decade with Mark and Steve and West.

It takes interest in your job, time and experience and a good teacher to pass that stuff down. I'd think that it's not unlike any job where over time, your skill set grows and is expanded as you mature.

Plus, CGC did say that Haspel would remain as consultant even during his leave of absence.

I would think that the higher ups at CGC or the Collector's Society would understand how to run a business and keep things on track. They're running a highly successful multi-million dollar company through one of the worst economic downturns that modern times have seen. They must be doing something right.

Like I said earlier, employee turnover happens in every corporate setting. The larger the company, the more often it happens. It's a numbers game and should be part of a business model.

Anybody worth their salt in running a business would expect this to happen and plan for it ahead of time.

(thumbs u

Well, we all knew this day was coming. It was just a matter of when, not if.

I submitted a few GA books at Phila Wizard for onsite grading.

I had graded this book a 2.5:

MF96.jpg

This is what it came back:

MF96-1.jpg

I'm happy to take the bump up but .... why do I feel dirty about it? hm

MF96.jpg

MF96-1.jpg

It looks like the cover was completely detached from your first pic. Is that right?

If so, how that came back a 4.0 is a miracle.

Just to add a little perspective, Borock, Mark and West all learned their areas of expertise over time.

Prior to their arrival at CGC the three of them were extremely knowledgeable and well-respected collectors/dealers and comic ink flowed through their veins.

The new crew is who again?

MF96.jpg

MF96-1.jpg

It looks like the cover was completely detached from your first pic. Is that right?

If so, how that came back a 4.0 is a miracle.

Like I had already posted in the other thread, it's really not a miracle as the answer to this is really quite simple:

Come on you guys.......be a little bit more understanding! (tsk)

That's probably just Tim (tth2) taking his first crack at grading low grade books in his bid to replace Mark and Timely. lol

Just to add a little perspective, Borock, Mark and West all learned their areas of expertise over time.

Prior to their arrival at CGC the three of them were extremely knowledgeable and well-respected collectors/dealers and comic ink flowed through their veins.

The new crew is who again?

Yeah, I didn't agree with that particular statement either. Those 3 had already forgotten more about comics and pedigrees before they got to CGC than most people will ever acquire.