• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official 2011 Overstreet discussion thread

144 posts in this topic

Actually, with respect to charts and graphs, the ones below which AJD had posted in the Gold Forum are a lot more informative and representative since they are indexed against inflation, includes not just the top of guide price which is often misleading, covers a much broader spectrum of books beyond just the usual Top 5 keys, and is also measured against a leading financial indicator: (thumbs u

I'm home sick today, so I had the chance to update the data in my spreadsheets of comic prices. Since Mitch has been banging the drum for investing in Gold (comics) I thought this was relevant.

Notes:

(1) all prices were converted into today's dollars before the index was calculated. This includes the Dow values.

(2) comic prices are Overstreets with all of the limitations of that - and the jump at the end was Bob being dragged kicking and screaming into realism with the million dollar sales of Action 1 and Tec 27

(3) all of the other caveats already mentioned in this thread still apply

(4) my economist friend has changed his tune - he says now that this is a good time to be holding cash assets, bullion or fine collectables.

First up, the 9.2 prices

big4_NM-_2010.jpg

And now the 6.0

big_4_fine_2010.jpg

The 'dud' of the big 4 is Marvel #1 - but even in mid grade still gives the Dow a run for its money.

Of course, the trick to this sort of analysis is to work out where the graphs go from here. If I could do that I'd probably own the big 4. lol

Edit: For the comic investor with a diverse portfolio, here's the Overstreet top 100 GA books index as well:

top_100_index.jpg

If only we could retrospectively MANNUP!

I hope AJD continues to maintain these charts for us here on the boards! :applause:

These look eerily like the NASDAQ did from 1995 through 2001.

I don't mean to be negative but my paranoid side hears the sound of a bubble popping sometime in the future...

What were some of the surprises that people found?

I was stunned to see ASM 2 in the top SA 10, but then again

Vulture or not - I'm sure for a good bit of folks that can't afford a decent AF15

or ASM 1 then the next in line is this book.

hm

I don't mean to be negative but my paranoid side hears the sound of a bubble popping sometime in the future...

comic book bubble?

hm

I wouldn't be surprised if all asset classes came back down to Earth once the U.S. government debt gets reclassified from Triple AAA status down to junk bond status which is probably where it really belongs. It's almost like a house of cards similar to the sub-prime mortgages which went from Triple A status down to junk bond status almost overnight.

Like they say, Bush racked up more government debt than all of the presidents before him and now Obama has racked up more debt than all of the presidents before him (including Bush) and his first term in office is not even over yet.

Bubbles all over!!! :tonofbricks:

Hey! no politics here! :)

My bad :foryou:

But it's hard to avoid what's happening when somebody mentions bubbles and stock market crashes.

I guess we should head back to the heady world of comics. Looks like the star of Overstreet's Top 100 List is Archie with both Pep #22 and Archie #1 going up by a whopping 40% over last year's guide price. No such luck for the unforgotten stepchild of the triumvirate, or Jackpot #4 which only went up by a mere 5%.

Not a whole lot of movement (position) in the top books for each age. Looks like Batman #3 has cracked the charts. And AF 15, while the #1 Silver book, would also make the top 10 in Gold. Man, I remember when that wasn't close to being the case.

Yes, if you look at this chart over the years, the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers are slowly starting to fall to the wayside while the heavy hitters from DC and Timely keeps churning their way up the chart. :(

Even within the two big hitters themselves, the 2nd tier titles such as All-Winners, USA Comics, and the early pre-hero DC's are continually dropping down the charts.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are left with just the main super-hero runs and only a sprinkling of the odd non-superhero keys on the Top 100 list within several years from now. hm

If ASM # 2 is now a Top 10 Silver Age book, what dropped out? Adventure 247?

Strangely enough, nothing got dropped out.

The SA list is actual a Top 20 list and ASM #2 was tied with FF #2 at the #20th spot. As a result, OS simply expanded his Top 20 to include 21 books this year and indicated that ASM #2 was the 21st highest ranked SA book back in 2010.

Hope that made some sense to you.

What were some of the surprises that people found?

I was stunned to see ASM 2 in the top SA 10, 20 but then again

Vulture or not - I'm sure for a good bit of folks that can't afford a decent AF15

or ASM 1 then the next in line is this book.

hm

Why were you stunned to see ASM 2 in the top 20 SA books? It was there in previous years, fell off the list last year (or perhaps the year before), and is now back on the list.

Debating on whether or not I want to get this edition. I really don't have a lot of books so this is just curious reading for me. I think the last one I got was back in '81 (or even earlier) when I was actually collecting for real. Any negatives about getting the downloadable version over the traditional trade paperback or hardcover?

Just got mine yesterday and starting to look through it... Interesting story from DTA Collectibles!

An in-depth primer on how to spam and glut ebay with overpriced listings?

No, the adventures of discovering the Ripple Pedigree...

How does the top 10 bronze book list look? Any big changes?

Star Wars 1 = $3K (20% increase)

Green Lantern 76 = $2.5K (20% increase)

Hulk 181 = $1.7K ( 3% increase)

Iron Fist 14 = $1.65K (3% increase)

GS X-Men 1 = $1.3K (no change)

X-Men 94 = $1.25K (4% increase)

Cerebus 1 = $1.2K (9% increase)

DC 100pg Super Spectacular 5 = $1.15K (10% increase)

House of Secrets 92 = $1.15K (5% increase)

ASM 129 = $925 (3% increase)