• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk Comic Security

40 posts in this topic

My mother still being a mother 37 years later has been harping on me about getting a safe for my comics and coins. Problem is... the cost of a safe big enough it can't be carried away would buy a very nice comic :)

Short sighted, I know - but I can't help it. Up until now I've been relying on my house alarm and dog, who barks but in reality is a wimp. Every time I go out of town I worry.

So today I opened one of the bigger safety deposit boxes with my bank. It's just big enough to fit my key coins and comics. Should what's left get stolen I would still be very upset, but at least it wouldn't be earth shattering.

So what tips do you have and what steps do you take to secure yours? If you have a reliable safe how much did it cost? Do you have insurance, and if so how much does that cost?

I'm figuring some people might not be comfortable talking about such things publicly, in that case you can simply opt for giving tips. I think this is an important subject and I seldom see it discussed.

Safe deposit box is a good, safe way to go.

If looking at a home safe, be sure to search here for threads about them. Some of them may speed up the rust process on staples.

There is a problem with putting comics in safes,the staples rust.I personally have books on a shelf accessible,and have them insured by Collectibles Insurance services.I don't really worry,but maybe you have different situations where you live.

As long as the room they're in is temperature controlled, yes

They're not. At least Chase does nothing to control the temperature. I have had books in the Mt. Prospect Illinois Chase branch for over 30 years. I asked these questions of the management last fall:

1. Do you turn off the air conditioning at night in the summer?

"Yes. It's all controlled by timers. We don't want to waste electricity!"

2. Do you have a dehumidifier running in the summer?

"No. Why do you ask?"

3. Do you turn the heat off at night in the winter?

"No. It would take too long to warm the vault area if we did."

4. What is the humidity in the vault area when the bank is open at 9:00 a.m., noon and 6:00 p.m.?

"That's too difficult to determine since it would take someone with a humidistat and we're a bank not an HVAC contractor."

When I explained that I had some important paper collectibles in my box, they were understanding, but not about to absorb any cost trying to help me.

For the most part the vault area (from my own experience) is dry in the winter (along with everything else in Chicago) and humid in the summer (ditto). It's always dark and generally cool (60-75 degrees). I've seen no damage to my comics in the vault during the past 30 years.

When I opened my newest saftey deposit box, I was surprised that they wanted a general list of things that would be in it, and their worth. It was for insurance purposes, I was told, and They also said that any books( of any kind) worth over $10,000 needed a separate rider. You also were only covered for $3500 in cash.

My old bank asked none of these questions, and insured the contents for $100,000

If a safe had a hole drilled in the top of it would that prevent the rust issues? Of course it would offer no protection from fire or flood but it would still be a theft deterrent.

I think when going $ per square inch gun safes are the cheapest way to go. You can get them at Costco for a few hundred and if you need to you can weigh them down even more with rolls of pennies on the bottom. Should hold a ton of comics.

If a safe had a hole drilled in the top of it would that prevent the rust issues? Of course it would offer no protection from fire or flood but it would still be a theft deterrent.

I think when going $ per square inch gun safes are the cheapest way to go. You can get them at Costco for a few hundred and if you need to you can weigh them down even more with rolls of pennies on the bottom. Should hold a ton of comics.

That's a good idea actually...would drilling a hole help vent the safe and prevent rusting of staples? hm

"If a safe had a hole drilled in the top of it would that prevent the rust issues? Of course it would offer no protection from fire or flood but it would still be a theft deterrent.

I think when going $ per square inch gun safes are the cheapest way to go. You can get them at Costco for a few hundred and if you need to you can weigh them down even more with rolls of pennies on the bottom. Should hold a ton of comics."

Check out the link that Chrisco37 posted on page one for a good discussion. I'm guessing that it would not help to have holes because the chemical is applied to the inside of the safe. Perhaps over time it would all vent out through the holes but I would not risk it. It may be easier to find a safe that does not have the chemical applied.

My mother still being a mother 37 years later has been harping on me about getting a safe for my comics and coins. Problem is... the cost of a safe big enough it can't be carried away would buy a very nice comic :)

Short sighted, I know - but I can't help it. Up until now I've been relying on my house alarm and dog, who barks but in reality is a wimp. Every time I go out of town I worry.

So today I opened one of the bigger safety deposit boxes with my bank. It's just big enough to fit my key coins and comics. Should what's left get stolen I would still be very upset, but at least it wouldn't be earth shattering.

So what tips do you have and what steps do you take to secure yours? If you have a reliable safe how much did it cost? Do you have insurance, and if so how much does that cost?

I'm figuring some people might not be comfortable talking about such things publicly, in that case you can simply opt for giving tips. I think this is an important subject and I seldom see it discussed.

I recommend not bragging about what you got, plus good locks, guns and dogs.

A litle chicanery goes a long way, as well.

I assume a thief won't have a lot of time and won't know all that much about comics so I help them out by labeling my boxes. My reading material is stored in boxes marked- Show boxes, Investment grade, while my good books are in boxes marked- three for a dollar books.

Hopefully I'll never find out if that trick of last resort works.

I assume a thief won't have a lot of time and won't know all that much about comics so I help them out by labeling my boxes. My reading material is stored in boxes marked- Show boxes, Investment grade, while my good books are in boxes marked- three for a dollar books.

Another one is to keep the good stuff liberally sprinkled throughout the long boxes of drek.

Hello,

I have investigated this issue thoroughly and even had contact and help from other board members active in the comics, paper money, and coin fields. First, I recommend you read and reread the thread about storing comics in fireproof safes.

Second, I collect graded paper money as well, and provided you use silica gel packets in your safe deposit box, you are...safe. That being said, I would not store comic books in a safe deposit box. The paper that money is made of (actually a form of 'linen') is perfect for this kind of environment. Coins, provided you use a product called Metal Safe, also fair well in safe deposit boxes.

Unfortunately, comic books do not. Most safe deposit boxes and vaults at every bank are made from the same 'cookie-cutter' design. This is why when someone says to change banks if you don't like your safe deposit box and it's conditions, it is usually not practical.

That being said, I find better security and peace of mind by using a climate controlled storage unit for my comics, and a safe deposit box for my coins and paper money. You have to make a decision that is right for you. I encourage you to research this issue like I did. There is a 'ton' of info on the Internet about this subject.

I help this helps and feel free to PM me for more info.

Sincerely,

-mint

PS Sorry if this isn't my best post, but I had to type this out on an I-Pad...

Another one is to keep the good stuff liberally sprinkled throughout the long boxes of drek.
I don't even know which box has my one good comic :insane:

Couldn't one just fabricate some sort of cage. If it is just to secure books in your home. Perhaps some sort of cabinet with wire mesh cage lining? Big, heavy and youd maybe need some bolt cutters or heavier stuff to cut thru?