• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade My Silver Surfer #1

33 posts in this topic

I just picked this book up tonight for $45 bucks and I keep expecting to find missing pages or something, but it's just a solid copy with decent eye appeal for a lower grade book and heck, the price was right. The shop I went to isn't big on repricing and they typically offer 30% off Overstreet guide value, + most of the time they give me an extra 10-20% off for being a regular. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have another book I am going to post tonight so I would appreciate opinions on that one as well. thumbsup2.gif

silversurfer1.jpg

silversurfer1bk.jpg

hi.gifhi.gifhi.gif

If I have to be completly honest.......I missed it as well until I saw the scan. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

That's right....I purchased it, brought it home......scanned it, and then finnaly noticed the tape pulls 893whatthe.gif I thought it was stinkin clouds confused-smiley-013.gif

How clouds would get into space, I haven't a clue 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

The good news is I purchased it thinking it was a VG.......I then thought that it might go a 5.0 until I saw you know what, but it was still a good deal.

That book is way too nice for a fair to good grade, even with the tape pulls. Fair can be pretty much beat to s#!t and good allows for quite a bit as well. I'd say VG-, maybe GD/VG.

I readily admit that I stink at grading lower graded books.

So I will defer to the consensus of this board. ooo.gif

I still think the book wouldn't have gotten a Fine grade, even without the tape pulls. There seems to be a very long corner crease on the right hand corner. Plus multiple vertical reading creases.

I think some of you guys are missing the long, color-breaking crease in the upper right corner (4 inches long) and the long reading crease down the spine, about a half inch in, plus the tear and impact creasing along the middle of the right edge. VF books don't have those, neither do Fine books.

If not for the tape-pulls, i'd say 7.0

With them... hmmm.... 4.5 - 5.0

Ok...this is JMO....but...I think the tape pull drops the grade on this book all the way down to GD- ....I look at is as...the tape pull is similar to a hole seeing that the color is not degraded or faded but totally lost....and since a hole that big is not allowed in anything but a very low grade I would have to say that GD- is the maximum grade this book can fetch... confused-smiley-013.gif

Besides the nebula on the front cover the book is a beaut.... wink.gif

My opinion of the book with the tape pulls and the other defects was a 3.5 to 4.0. I can't believe that CGC would down grade it all the way to a 1.8 or 2.0, but....I have never sent in a book with this size tape pull.

I think I will send this oen in just so we can all see what CGC takes off. There are certainly a lot of other defects, but most don't detract that much so the tape pull is going to be a major factor in the grading for sure.

Since I paid a G 2.0 price......and it looks a lot better than a good to me......I won't lose any sleep. As always thanks for the opinions thumbsup2.gif