• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The book you regret buying the most.....

80 posts in this topic

I don't know that it's any better or worse than any other decades really. We're just more familiar with the 90's duds as they are recent but any given time period published loads of carp.

I was going to add that every decade had it's fair share of rotten books but the 90's will be forever linked with the speculator Boom & multi title saturation.

Giant-Size X-Men 1 from Robert Crestohl, January 1985 - it's that burned into my memory. I was supposed to have been supplied with a NM/M copy, but upon receipt I graded it much more accurately as being in strict POS condition. :mad:

Still, at least I've got a beautiful copy now, that's something. (thumbs u

+ Sandman, Preacher, Bone, Astro City, Jimmy Corrigan, ...

what!!!?? Sandman, Preacher & Astro City were fantastic reads. Enjoyed every issue

i think he meant those were other awesome reads in the 90s. Sandman and preacher were probably the best creator owned comics of all time.

Back in the 90's i went to one of my LCS's that i rarely ever went to since they mainly sold sports cards. They had a BUNCH of early Spideys and FF's in 8.0-8.5ish range that were very reasonably priced from a collection they just bought. They also had almost all of the Valiant 0 and Gold editions for like $100-125a piece.

Instead of buying the fairly HG early SA books, i bought Archer and Armstrong Gold, Magnus (1 or 0, cant remember) gold, Harbinger 0 and like 4 or 5 early Rai's for $500!

Now, all those books are worth MAYBE $100 while the couple early Spideys and FF's i could have gotten would probably be worth a couple thousand doh!

I think my most recent regret, that there was really no relief for, was trying to upgrade my raw VFNM copy of a SA book with a CGC 9.4

When I cracked out the CGC copy, it was VFNM too :sorry:

I'm sure I've had worse experiences that I've forgotten....,

While we're on the subject, I think they should add or modify the I'll Take It sign here by adding "as long as there's no CT, Trimming, or Azz smell or Warping from flood damage." Stuff that I've been told was 'evident' from the scan. That would have helped with a few of the books I've bought here that I regretted buying.

While we're on the subject, I think they should add or modify the I'll Take It sign here by adding "as long as there's no CT, Trimming, or Azz smell or Warping from flood damage." Stuff that I've been told was 'evident' from the scan. That would have helped with a few of the books I've bought here that I regretted buying.

:popcorn:

Magnus (1 or 0, cant remember) gold

Gold? No wonder you can't remember, those don't exist. :grin:

Now, all those books are worth MAYBE $100 while the couple early Spideys and FF's i could have gotten would probably be worth a couple thousand doh!

Doubtful. You would have likely gotten overgraded, trimmed, and color-touched junk. :gossip:

:popcorn:

I'd point fingers but I'm sure you know what that will get you. lol

2005, Infinite Crisis Sketch cover RRP literally just came out that weekend. At that time, at the con i was at, rumors were that there were only 200 copies. I was obsessed and NEEDED a 9.8. Only one guy at the con had 3 copies graded by CGC. I couldn't afford the 9.8 at the time (because he was selling it for a grand). I bought the 9.6 for 700 bucks. :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: yes. it hurts. it hurts. i just tack it onto a very very expensive/valuable learning experience--never make pressured purchases, don't believe the hype, and, most importantly, NEVER BUY ANY CGC GRADED UNIVERSE-WIDE MODERN STORIES because the value will and always will plummet! i sold that issue last year on auction for 36 dollars and i simply dont give a mess. it's punishment for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. :insane: at least i can say that i lost all that money so long ago its like i never lost it at all! :tonofbricks: right?? :frustrated:

Doubtful. You would have likely gotten overgraded, trimmed, and color-touched junk. :gossip:

It was definitely some "premium" Magnus book. Either Gold, number 0 or whatever the hell they put out. Dont get me wrong, i LOVED reading all those Valiant books but unfortunately i started reading them WELL after they came out and paid crazy prices for them!

Even if the SA was restored which i doubt, it would still be worth 10 times what those Valiant premium junk issues will ever be worth. My son is going to inherit about 3 long boxes of pretty much every Valiant book ever printed. Even when he gets them in 20-30 years, i doubt they will be worth what i paid for them doh!

Early 90's I tracked down as many X-Men 281's and New Mutants 87's as I could find all over Toronto.

I could go on with about a dozen other gimmick books that were all the craze back then...what a waste.

It was definitely some "premium" Magnus book. Either Gold, number 0 or whatever the hell they put out. Dont get me wrong, i LOVED reading all those Valiant books but unfortunately i started reading them WELL after they came out and paid crazy prices for them!

Even if the SA was restored which i doubt, it would still be worth 10 times what those Valiant premium junk issues will ever be worth. My son is going to inherit about 3 long boxes of pretty much every Valiant book ever printed. Even when he gets them in 20-30 years, i doubt they will be worth what i paid for them doh!

RMA just sold a Gold Archer and Armstrong 0 in CGC 9.8 for $400.

Early 90's I tracked down as many X-Men 281's and New Mutants 87's as I could find all over Toronto.

I could go on with about a dozen other gimmick books that were all the craze back then...what a waste.

You can make good bread on those 87s if they are 9.8s