• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The book you regret buying the most.....

80 posts in this topic

I think X-Men 2099 is the only 90's book I bought more than one copy of (2 copies). I got back into collecting a little before the bubble was to burst on that stuff, so I kind of lucked out. Mainly I was more interested in 40s - 70's stuff when I got back into it luckily, though I did get in the habit of buying X-Men & Uncanny every month to read. Can I tell you about any of the plot lines almost 20 years later? Absolutely not.

Any 90's books off the rack.

Crazy thing is I bought multiples of some of these books...

what was I thinking?

Me too :frustrated: I bought 6 sets of X-Men #1, 10 copies of New Mutants #100, and 10 copies each of Spiderman #1-10. Even though they're slab quality, I can't imagine it would be worth it. What a waste of tree.

Yeah, every time i have to pick up and move my short box filled with X-men 1's i cant decide if i want to have someone kick me in the balls or throw up!

Halloween's right around the corner...

:baiting:

Naw, I couldn't do that to the kids

what was I thinking?

I have a short box full of stuff like Mai the Psychic Girl, Area 88, and Kamui. Multiple copies of first issues etc, etc :P

Is the 90's the worst era for comic books?

[font:Book Antiqua]Yes, absolutely... and the worst of that ... Rob Liefield[/font]

puke.jpg

what was I thinking?

Me too :frustrated: I bought 6 sets of X-Men #1, 10 copies of New Mutants #100, and 10 copies each of Spiderman #1-10. Even though they're slab quality, I can't imagine it would be worth it. What a waste of tree.

Yeah, every time i have to pick up and move my short box filled with X-men 1's i cant decide if i want to have someone kick me in the balls or throw up!

Halloween's right around the corner...

:baiting:

No thanks!!!

If those kids have any sense, they'll be egging and TP'ing my house all freaking night if i hand out that kind of garbage on Halloween! :eek:

+ Sandman, Preacher, Bone, Astro City, Jimmy Corrigan, ...

what!!!?? Sandman, Preacher & Astro City were fantastic reads. Enjoyed every issue

Read it again, nerdling. He was talking about the exceptions, in reply to PCC.

Dork.

Well at least you're keeping your posts short, finally realize no one reads your long winded drivel?

what!!!?? Sandman, Preacher & Astro City were fantastic reads. Enjoyed every issue

Dork.

Well at least you're keeping your posts short, finally realize no one reads your long winded drivel?

Now, now, don't be so sensitive. You can handle a gentle tweak now and then without getting butthurt.

Dork.

Now, now, don't be so sensitive. You can handle a gentle tweak now and then without getting butthurt.

I'm crying on the inside.

Dork.

Besides, my drivel is such high quality drivel, people can't help but read it....like Spanish soap operas....no one writes long winded drivel like moi....

Dork.

Besides, my drivel is such high quality drivel.........

ya lost me, please keep it shorter. k? thanks, love trooper.

Dork.

Boobs. Liquor.

:cloud9:

Dork.

Boobs. Liquor.

:cloud9:

Sweet :ohnoez:

I don't regret buying - I regret WHEN I bought it :

GI JOE 21 CGC 9.8 :acclaim:

Be patient daniel-san - lesson learned.

I will say it wasn't as bad as a few of those guys who spend $2000 to $3000!

Wise words to live by 2c

I had a good friend (former) who had serious medical bills and resulting financial issues so I bought his entire comic collection of over 800 long boxes (not a typo). He represented that there "might" be a few thousand Image and Valiant boxes but most were M & DC. The story is way to long and complicated to explain why I did not know until I had the boxes in storage; however, there were 334 long boxes of Image and Valiant (complete LBs of single issues- examples Ninjak 19 Turok 1, 12, Deathmate- all covers, etc.). :tonofbricks:

While I was pretty ticked, I was able to find someone to take all 334 LBs so at least I did not have to pay storage on them for years.

Moral- there are no friends in collectibles when money is needed. Okay, maybe a few.

Ed

In the 1980's buying from Koch/Dolgoff/Koch's warehouse find.

You could buy 3 SA books in VG/F for $10 or 1 in NM for $10. Well I bought a heck of a lot of VG/Fs usually nice books. Why didn't I buy at least 1 Daredevil 7 in NM for $10.

Buying some early ASM, Avengers, Tales to Astonish from a private owner I contacted through Craigslist. He had long boxes among long boxes of books with some doubles and even triples. I picked out some pretty decent shaped copies of the above, including a VG Hulk 4, FF #6 in VG condition, and the most prized one, an Avengers #4 in VF condition. When I sent the book to CGC, it came back as an 8.0 with slight amateur resto. Boy I was pissed because I paid around $4000 worth of books.. I managed to sell a chunk of it, but still have some issues I am having a hard time selling. So far, I am down $500 :(

just bought someones collection of around 300 comics, half of them Image stuff, rest was other independent and the lot was basically , even though i only paid just under $50 i still feel robbed, only ones i actually wanted from the lot was Usagi bits

Well one could easily say this files under the "book you regret selling the most." BUT I do regret buying it more so than selling it.

Because if I had never bought the damnn thing, to this day I would not yearn for one since I had it for about two years and totally regret every having it in my hands. "It's kinda like it's, "My Preciousssssss." I have never owned any other Bat books, (I love Batman!! But it's just too pricey in what grades I would like to collect) but for some reason I had to have it. Wish I never pulled the trigger.

It was a Batman #100 CGC 9.0 with ow pages at the time when there were only two 9.0s in the census - which were the highest graded.