• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first comic book you ever bought

107 posts in this topic

When you get a regular gig writing a Spidey title, then I'll make sure I get a case of those pre-screened and hype it up "ASM 36 vol 2 CGC 10.0" style...

Thanks for the career counselling Darth, but I think I'll leave funny book writing to the true fanboy hacks (Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis and a few others exempted) who just love retreading the Silver/Bronze Age tires.

Jemas: Hey CI, nice to have you on the team, got any ideas?

CI: Sure, I have some thoughts on a new series....

Jemas: Me too, you're slated for Ultimate Brother Voodoo. He's one voodoo-magic spouting SOB in tight leather, kinda like a homey Dr.Strange. Maybe he can even carry around one of those dolls and stick pins in it?

CI: Ummmm

Jemas: Waitaminute, can you handle two monthlies?

CI: Sure

Jemas: Great, cuz I'm thinking Brother Voodoo could also go MAX. Just think of that mean SOB getting it on voodoo-style with some hot cajun chicks. Can you see it? Voodoo-style?

CI: Not really.

Jemas: Well I can, and let me tell you it's HOT, spicy HOT, Voodoo-Get-It-On HOT. I think we can really work that voodoo doll angle in here as well.... and maybe a big back-story mini-series where The Bro' (that's his new nic for MAX) finds out that he's the illegitimate child of Luke Cage, and maybe ....

Amazing Spider-man 149 (clone issue, great cover) and Avengers 129 are the ones I remember.

The Avengers was a Kang issue and it was my first look at Iron Man and he looked so cool in the red and gold, I thought, that I became an Iron Man fan for life (at least until they changed his armor so many times in the past 10 years that it's nearly unrecognizable).

Traded a beat up Hot Wheel to the kid who lived one street over for a stack of war comics, Sgt. Rock, Sgt. Fury, Our Army at War. Read em' all until the covers fell off. After he ran out of issues to trade I hit the local comic shop and spent my lawn mowing cash to feed what turned into a lifetime addiction...

Jemas: CI, we would like you to write a story for Tangled Web spotlighting Spider-Man or a member of his supporting cast.

CI: I will not because all NEW Marvel Comics suck and are backwards looking. Since the new comic market is going to crash anyway it would be a complete and total waste of my time to write for your cash-grabbing, money-hungry spin-off title.

Jemas: But CI, you say you read your back issues, why not retread some old plot with a new twist. You can use any character that you want to.

CI: That's the problem with you money-grubbing, speculator-happy SOBs. All you can think about is rehash, retread, redo! I've had it. For me, all Marvel Comics ended with the cancellation of Power Pack.

Jemas: But we've got Miller lined up to draw it.

CI: Another money-grubbing neo-fascist tactic on your part.

Jemas: And we've got Jim Shooter lined up to edit it.

CI: Like I could care less about anything published after 1990 regardless of who edits it. Plus, he's a corporate shill.

Jemas: Will Eisner wants to do the cover.

CI: A complete waste of your time. No one will ever see it.

Jemas: Is there anything that interests you then?

CI: I have no interest in writing for you or for you hack counterpart Levitz, so nothing you say or do can sway me. You should just cancel the entire line and do reprints of classic silver age comics. I've been begging Alessi to let me write Sigil.

laugh.gif

Hey, it's not like some of the books aren't somewhat enjoyable, but this consistent "going back to the Silver/Bronze Age well" kind of grates on you after awhile. I really couldn't give a rat's what "Color" Jeph Loeb pulls out of his butt next and am hoping that Marvel starts moving forward.

There is only so much nostalgia-based Origin, Ultimates, MAX, Jeph Loeb "gnat [!@#%^&^] from pepper" Blue/Yellow/Pink/etc. backstory drek, and these rest of the comics that try and reinvent an existing character, or fill in every second of every minute of every hour of every day of each character's backstory.

I may not be the prototypical reader, but that stuff gets real old, real fast.

Okay! Okay! It's cool. No one is asking you to like, buy or accept that stuff.

I just can't quite figure out what modern stuff you actually DO like.

Even when you try to say something positive, like how you like to read Planetary, you usually have to add a negative spin to it (like how a good book that you like is part of a backward looking trend that you hate).

Kev

Even when you try to say something positive, like how you like to read Planetary, you usually have to add a negative spin to it (like how a good book that you like is part of a backward looking trend that you hate).

I do like reading Planetary, but it's also quite obvious that it plays on the same "Silver Age Nostalgia" that Marvel is plumbing to the depths. But the writing and concept are good enough for me to ignore the blatant marketing premise and still enjoy the story.

In other words, it's about as new and innovative as you can expect to find in this nostalgia-based (cough) new comic market. I can hardly wait for Jeph Loeb to come out with Planetary: Purple which takes place in the nano-second between panels 4 and 5 on page 6 of issue 3. grin.gif

Me too. I guess we balance each other out... you play the pessimist, I play the optimist.

Actually, what I was hoping you would say is that there was something out there that you actually liked and could not find some fault with.

I've already read your opinion about Planetary (and Jeph Loeb for that matter) I was not asking for a retread.

Kev

That's a tough call, as the industry itself seems to be caught in a time warp, but if I were pressed, I'd have to say that while I don't read it religiously, I like some books that actually take a few chances and at least move forward, either with existing or new characters.

Preacher, New X-Men, and a few others.

If Jeph Loeb ever gets through his mid-life crisis and/or runs out of available Colors, that would probably put a smile on my face for weeks.

I tried 100 Bullets (not bad, but not my style) and although I was thinking of Fables, that Wizard feature turned me right off. Way too cutsie and much too obvious with the in-jokes for my tastes.

I'm pretty well gone from the new comic rack, and will probably just fill out the trades of comics I like and then vamoose. I find novels and DVDs much more engaging (not to mention a way better value - $5 DVDs rule!).

Tough to argue with a guy who likes Pitch Black. I saw that in the theater - the kind of movie where you go in not expecting too much and come out having loved the show.

Still, there are good reads out there. Powers is a nice twist on the superhero genre, Alias is a good non-superhero read, Transmet is still good, Ultimates is a darker superhero title, Fables is STILL worth a look for the twisted takes on the characters, X-Statix is funny and satirical, Exiles is surprisingly good, and Jones' Hulk is written differently than I've ever seen the Hulk.

Try some of these - IMHO, there's more quality and variation in the comics to be read now than ever.