• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Brave & Bold #60 the true 1st appearance of the Teen Titans?

20 posts in this topic

Was just reading through an old DC comic where the Answer Man discusses the 1st appearance of The Teen Titans. The 2 issues in question are Brave & Bold #54 & #60. Brave & Bold 54 gets the Overstreet nod as first appearance even though the name Teen Titans is never mentioned on the cover or the book, it's just a team-up of Robin, Kid Flash & Aqualad. It books for over double what B & B #60 does, even though #60 is the first book where the term Teen Titans is used.

Similar situation to Sub-Mariner #35, which has the first team up of Namor, Hulk & Silver Surfer & is considered a prelude to the Defenders. In this case the prelude story only books for about half of what the first appearance (Marvel Feature #1) does.

I realize this is an Overstreet situation that will never be corrected, but really, isn't Brave & Bold #60 the real first appearance that should be the key?

I would think the first appearance of already existing characters being part of a team is when the team name is mentioned. The Defenders weren't "The Defenders" until they were referred to by that name. Same with Teen Titans.

I would say an appearance by a new character or group can be named much later, but the original appearance of the character or team should be considered the "first".

Interesting observation boomtown.

Since I never read BB 54, I would ask this: Are there references in the story to the characters identified as working together as a team and are there any indications that this was the beginning of the team and that this was there first of many adventures? This might help better define the intent of the artistic team that did BB 54.

If we want to get even more into it, #60 is no different of a line up since the new member was a screw up and didnt really exist (IIRC- wasnt Wonder Girl really just Wonder Woman as a child?)

It's listed as the first appearance of Donna Troy, although I don't have a copy to see whether she is introduced in the story that way.

An idea I have long held....B&B 54 is a Teen Titans tryout (possibly even just a one off that did well sales wise) and B&B 60 is the true first appearance. But wait....Overstreet says it's 54, so it has to be, right? Ask the war guys what they say is the first appearance of SGT Rock...I have other examples, but you get the point. Just because OS says it, doesn't make it so...

The Wonder Girl thing a screw up? I don't know, and maybe it doesn't matter. Wonder Girl in the Wonder Woman comics was Wonder Woman as a kid (and there was a Wonder Tot too). Anyways, it worked in B&B 60 and then again in Showcase 59, so screwup or not, Wonder Girl was born.

In my mind, B&B 54 is a Teen Titans tryout and B&B 60 is the first appearance of the Teen Titans AND Wonder Girl...which makes it a pretty big key.

bb54.jpg

bb60.jpg

Are there references in the story to the characters identified as working together as a team and are there any indications that this was the beginning of the team and that this was there first of many adventures?

There are none.

If we want to get even more into it, #60 is no different of a line up since the new member was a screw up and didnt really exist (IIRC- wasnt Wonder Girl really just Wonder Woman as a child?)

But that mistake created the team!

It's listed as the first appearance of Donna Troy, although I don't have a copy to see whether she is introduced in the story that way.

She wasn't "introduced" in any way. She was just there. I'm not even sure when her secret identity of Donna Troy was introduced.

In my mind, B&B 54 is a Teen Titans tryout and B&B 60 is the first appearance of the Teen Titans AND Wonder Girl...which makes it a pretty big key.

I agree. No Wonder Girl, no Teen Titans! Donna Troy was the necessary addition that created the Teen Titans.

:preach:

Are there references in the story to the characters identified as working together as a team and are there any indications that this was the beginning of the team and that this was there first of many adventures?

There are none.

But that mistake created the team!

She wasn't "introduced" in any way. She was just there. I'm not even sure when her secret identity of Donna Troy was introduced.

I agree. No Wonder Girl, no Teen Titans! Donna Troy was the necessary addition that created the Teen Titans.

:preach:

Scripter Bob Haney and his editors never really cared about continuity. It was years before Wonder Girl's Donna Troy ID was ret-conned in by the next generation of comics fans-turned-pros: Marv Wolfman & Len Wein. The same issue that changed her costume from the WW one to the classic all-red body suit also revealed the first of many Donna Troy back-stories-- I think that was TT #22.

BTW, has there ever been a character with as convoluted and ever-changing a back story as the Donna Troy Wonder Girl character? I don't think even Phoenix, Power Girl or Hawkman come close!

Check out the mug shot of Wonder Girl on the left side of the cover to B&B #60. Looks like DC had a "drug issue" out well before the GL #85/86 and ASM #96-98 storylines.........

Check out the mug shot of Wonder Girl on the left side of the cover to B&B #60. Looks like DC had a "drug issue" out well before the GL #85/86 and ASM #96-98 storylines....

Despite filling out her top better in Brave & the Bold 60, Wonder Girl looked more adult in the Wonder Woman comic of the time:

16-06-2011101148PM.jpg

(shrug)

Scripter Bob Haney and his editors never really cared about continuity.

Robert Kanigher was the editor of "Wonder Woman" at the time in 1965. He must have thought that Wonder Girl had real potential as a character because Wonder Girl was not only the cover feature of "Wonder Woman" 150-153 but "Wonder Girl" was emblazoned on the covers of #152 and #153 in larger letters than "Wonder Woman".

Meanwhile, the editor of both "Brave & the Bold" and "Showcase" in 1965 was George Kashdan so he must shoulder the blame for borrowing a character who didn't actually exist - yet. DC though must have been pleased with the job he did because he was also given the job of editor of the "Teen Titans" book.

:juggle:

An idea I have long held....B&B 54 is a Teen Titans tryout (possibly even just a one off that did well sales wise) and B&B 60 is the true first appearance. But wait....Overstreet says it's 54, so it has to be, right? Ask the war guys what they say is the first appearance of SGT Rock...I have other examples, but you get the point. Just because OS says it, doesn't make it so...

I immediately thought of that example. B&B 54 sounds like a tryout or prototype to me.

Check out the mug shot of Wonder Girl on the left side of the cover to B&B #60. Looks like DC had a "drug issue" out well before the GL #85/86 and ASM #96-98 storylines.........

yeah, I've always loved the meth'd out WG head shot... ;)

Yes, B&B #60 is the first real appearance of the Teen Titans. #54 is properly considered a prototype. It's just a team up of three characters.

I agree. Here are scans of my Teen Titans prequel issue and first two proper appearances:

03-08-2011112427PM.jpg

03-08-2011112434PM.jpg

03-08-2011112437PM.jpg

:juggle: