• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ernie Chan

15 posts in this topic

This guy, who gets NO credit from anyone, was always one of my all-time favorite inkers. I always thought his Savage Sword inks on Big John were awesome.

Does anyone know what happened to him?

Aere there any interviews or online sites about him?

Any good original art collections?

Pretty sure Ernie Chan/Chua is still alive. Would say he is the 3rd best inker over J Buscema's Savage Sword Conan after Alfredo Alcala & Rudy Nebres. Then again Ernie's Hulk covers were fab. Way more powerful than Byrne or Dale Keown. flowerred.gif

i used to dislike him a lot, bu tlately i have seen some nicer work in the mystery titles i have been cataloging. I really don't like his inks on Colan in TOD though. I am not sure about his conan work, i may not have seen any. I do LOVE Alcala on JB though.

Hmmm.....Chua (chan),has too be my least favorite artist next to crazy.gif Mike Grell,....I literally stopped buying comics in the mid 70's cause it seemed like they slapped out about half of the DC covers back then......alway found their work sloppy and too cartoonish,.....Chua's covers looked as if he spit them out while squatting on the bowl for 10 minutes......

I'm kinda mid-way between you guys regarding Ernie Chua (as I knew him at the time). He had the misfortune to follow Neal Adams and the Novick/Giordano team on Batman and Detective, and suffered in comparision. It didn't help that he was frequently inked by guys like Frank McLaughlin or Tex Blaisdell. Even the Chua/Giordano team seemed an uncomfortable match for some reason. But lately I've gone back and looked at some of his solo-Batman art of the period, and find that I like it a lot, especially when I compare it to what came after (anyone remember John Calnan?) rather than what came before.

But I do remember liking what Chua did in the early issues of DC's Conan knock-off Claw the Unconquered. I can't remember if he pencilled or inked or both, but I do remember being impressed with the work. So maybe it's a case that his style was well-suited to S&S and not so for super-heroes.