• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

did CATMAN Comics fall out of popularity?

61 posts in this topic

I used to see virtually all the Catman comics going for a "ton" whenever they went up for sale. For multiples of guide except for #'s 1-2 usually.

I'm selling a Catman #7 CGC 3.0 I won for close to $350 on auction, and I'm now selling it on eBay on a no reserve auction sitting currently at only $81 with 7 hours left.

Going to take a bath I feel sure! :banana:

(link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270783409619 )

So what is it, only the war covers are the one's in favor right now? hm

I used to see virtually all the Catman comics going for a "ton" whenever they went up for sale. For multiples of guide except for #'s 1-2 usually.

I'm selling a Catman #7 CGC 3.0 I won for close to $350 on auction, and I'm now selling it on eBay on a no reserve auction sitting currently at only $81 with 7 hours left.

Summer isn't the best time of year to sell on ebay, all of your bidders have

high feedback. You should have sold it bin @ $400 or best offer.

Summer isn't the best time of year to sell on ebay, all of your bidders have

high feedback. You should have sold it bin @ $400 or best offer.

You are 100% correct on my blunder. :cry:

But still curious at what people think of Catman as a whole right now.

Summer or not other books like the early Tecs would never go cheap no matter the day / month / time. I'm thinking Catman now is a fad collecting character.

I think they'll always be popular... to a degree. There's an awful lot of curiosity regarding non-DC/Timely GA superhero characters on Ebay. But yeah, Ebay's a great big pile of nothingness right now.

You are also selling during San Diego weekend...I always liked the LB Cole covers toward the end of the run. Catman 31 has got to be one of my top favorite GA covers.

I agree, Catman is one of the unique runs that the covers get better and more desired as they go on.

I know some issue in the late teens or twentys is worth like 3X FMV than issue 1 is, all for the cover. The hitler choke-hold cover.

I started collecting Catman comics around a year ago (6 down, 26 to go) and have noticed that, especially as of late, the prices can be very erratic. The early/mid run issues by far seem to be the rarest, but not necessarily the most desirable. The Cole covers are obviously much more plentiful, but also have some really amazing covers (29, 31 and 32 are my favorite). These factors seem to yield some wild prices that vary considerably. Most of the issues I've got are the later cole covers and I pretty much paid over guide for all of them, but by no means crazy money, generally 1.5x guide or a little less.

I actually have your 7 on my watch list and I think it'll break 300. Best of luck with the auction!

I'm not in the market for one now, but I'd love to own a nice copy of #31 someday. That's one of my favorite GA covers. :cloud9:

There was a nice painted recreation of that cover that Cole did in the early 80's on Heritage a while back. I would have loved to get it by at the time had money going toward other art.

When I put my catman run together I found that issues under 13 were tough to locate but had less demand than post 13 issues. Only #9, which is really rare, cause me any problems.

Now 13-24 generally command 3-10x guide depending. 25-27 , and 32a, stink and don't sell near guide. 28 is huge! And 29-32 are all higher demand Cole covers but generally reAdily available

Sorry to see this, Bat-Man. Not as bad as it could have been. It does seem like Cat-Man is something of a fad-like title. I love the covers as much as anyone but it is very obscure relative to well known titles.

Well folks all and all I did not take a bath. Took a loss, but not a terrible one.

Sold for $282.77

You win some, you loose some. :P

Timing can't be overstated. Better luck next time, B-M.

When I put my catman run together I found that issues under 13 were tough to locate but had less demand than post 13 issues. Only #9, which is really rare, cause me any problems.

Now 13-24 generally command 3-10x guide depending. 25-27 , and 32a, stink and don't sell near guide. 28 is huge! And 29-32 are all higher demand Cole covers but generally reAdily available

when was the last #13 sale?

surely that is the toughest catman...

when was the last #13 sale?

surely that is the toughest catman...

Not really. 15 is the toughest by far. 9 is tougher than 13. 16 is tough but several restored copies in the market shade that fact. 17&18 are also equally tough.

13's gerber omission has stereotyped it as toughest but not the case (thumbs u