• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRETTY BOOK OF THE DAY FF 11

33 posts in this topic

I don't know about you, but I don't live in Candide's "best of all worlds", where only good things happen on both the way up and down!

Wow... Voltaire getting a mention on the boards...just when I thought I had seen everything thumbsup2.gif

"'Work keeps at bay three great evils: boredom, vice, and need.'"

Yeah, maybe. But that's because if the stock markets, real estate markets, and the economy tanked all at once, I'd have less money to spend on comics. It may be the same result as the crash resulting from pressing/resubs, but for a different reason.

But if there were a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 7.0 that I could get for $5K, it would be really hard to pass up the book, even if it went unsold for $8K, $7K, or $6K, and even if the real estate and stock markets were tanking. I have bought quite a few books at levels below where they have recently sold (the CGC 9.8 Action #405 that I bought at 45% below where it sold a few months ago comes to mind), and I don't really think about such purchases in terms of whether the market is crashing. I just identify a book, decide how much I'm willing to pay for it, and if I get it for less, great.

On the other hand, if there were a broad capitulation in the price of HG silver and bronze comics across the board, I'd be kind of stupid to pay inflated prices for the books, just because they were suddenly "cheap" relative to the prices of a few months before.

Not speaking to yours or Banner's case specifically, but it's easy to say in a bull market that people would jump all over something at lower prices. It might be quite a different story if prices are falling relentlessly and it's in your face 24/7 because of the real-time nature of eBay and the Internet. Then, suddenly you may have the possibility of global selling/global panic to match the global buying/global euphoria we've had on the way up.

Sure, to use your example, if a $10K book were suddenly priced at $5K, I'm sure there would be plenty of buyers at that level. However, if the $10K book fell to $5K and those people waiting at $5K saw no takers at $8K and $7K and $6K over a period of some time, perhaps they wouldn't be so inclined to buy even at that level. Now, let's say the economy and the real estate and stock markets tanked while all this was happening (perhaps even triggering the decline) - would your answer change? confused-smiley-013.gif

BB - that's a gorgeous book!! thumbsup2.gif

Sorry for hijacking your thread sorry.gif

DAM

no problem - i always get a kick outta listening to you guys go off on the "financial future" of the hobby.

tomorrow i'll post my x-men #3 (if it's at the post office this afternoon). i'm also gonna post my metal men #1 on the grading thread for guesses.........and maybe a SWEET DC on this thread tomorrow as well...........

hey fantasy - that new avatar is kinda small - did you get your lady friends permission to post something a bit more exotic?? devil.gif

BB - that's a gorgeous book!! thumbsup2.gif

Sorry for hijacking your thread sorry.gif

DAM

no problem - i always get a kick outta listening to you guys go off on the "financial future" of the hobby.

tomorrow i'll post my x-men #3 (if it's at the post office this afternoon). i'm also gonna post my metal men #1 on the grading thread for guesses.........and maybe a SWEET DC on this thread tomorrow as well...........

hey fantasy - that new avatar is kinda small - did you get your lady friends permission to post something a bit more exotic?? devil.gif

It's the same PVC pic that she said I could post before, but with the background whited out to make it less distracting.

The supply of 9.4 or greater early Marvels is growing at a significantly increased rate lately. Before the current census update, there were only two copies of #11 graded at 9.4 (many of us should have a pretty good guess who owns the other newly-graded copy). Several other FF issues below #20 have also jumped up.

Several of the new high grade copies I know for certain are resubmits, and it's easy to see when you look at Valiantman's previous census totals. It appears to me that pressing and resubmitting is having its slow and steady impact on the supply of top-end books...

Just noticed something here. I guess the FF's must be supahot!!!

The new guide shows FF #11 in 9.2 at $1,400 which represents a pretty significant increase from $1,000 for 9.4 in last year's guide. SUPAHOT!!! A check of the complimentary OCPR shows the same book in 9.2 at $1,750 with the 9.4 coming in at $4,000. Pretty nice increase of 4X for an NM copy. Appears to have gone through the entire FF run except for issue #1. Again supahot!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I think the pace of UNDISCLOSED cleaning, pressing, and resubmits for questionable increases in grade will now greatly accelaerate with OS acknowledging huge pricing differences for minor grading variations. 893naughty-thumb.gif Based upon their track record, don't think CGC is up to the task in terms of consistentcy, especially when grading at this level is often more of an art and less of a science than most people think.

I think JC's crash theory (or correction) may now come sooner rather than later. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The supply of 9.4 or greater early Marvels is growing at a significantly increased rate lately. Before the current census update, there were only two copies of #11 graded at 9.4 (many of us should have a pretty good guess who owns the other newly-graded copy). Several other FF issues below #20 have also jumped up.

Several of the new high grade copies I know for certain are resubmits, and it's easy to see when you look at Valiantman's previous census totals. It appears to me that pressing and resubmitting is having its slow and steady impact on the supply of top-end books...

Just noticed something here. I guess the FF's must be supahot!!!

The new guide shows FF #11 in 9.2 at $1,400 which represents a pretty significant increase from $1,000 for 9.4 in last year's guide. SUPAHOT!!! A check of the complimentary OCPR shows the same book in 9.2 at $1,750 with the 9.4 coming in at $4,000. Pretty nice increase of 4X for an NM copy. Appears to have gone through the entire FF run except for issue #1. Again supahot!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I think the pace of UNDISCLOSED cleaning, pressing, and resubmits for questionable increases in grade will now greatly accelaerate with OS acknowledging huge pricing differences for minor grading variations. 893naughty-thumb.gif Based upon their track record, don't think CGC is up to the task in terms of consistentcy, especially when grading at this level is often more of an art and less of a science than most people think.

I think JC's crash theory (or correction) may now come sooner rather than later. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and sometimes i almost get the feeling that the crash theorists are doing no more than their respective bits to get long time collectors and speculators alike, to begin divesting themselves of their nicer, more lucrative books......... devil.gif better hurry up and sell, because it'll all be worthless soon grin.gif

better hurry up and sell, because it'll all be worthless soon grin.gif

GREAT point!!! Better start including asking prices with your future pretty book of the day postings... tongue.gif

better hurry up and sell, because it'll all be worthless soon grin.gif

GREAT point!!! Better start including asking prices with your future pretty book of the day postings... tongue.gif

Stop your drooling James! tongue.giftongue.gifblush.gif

By the way, sweet book Harry. thumbsup2.gif

nice book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I like the Impossible man. He showed up in one of the X-Men annuals and challenged Warlock to a shape changing dual! A real fun story with a great ending!! thumbsup2.gif