• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your names

165 posts in this topic

I have a protocol question. This place is so dang friendly and so many folks know each other personally, either from shows or dealing with each other in sales, I was wondering...... Is is acceptable to call someone by their first name (because you know it from reading it so many time here) even if you have never met them ? I ususally don't like to, unless we've met.... but sometimes it just seems weird to write Vintage Comics instead of Roy ..... or NearMint instead of Jeff .....even though I've never met either of you two in person.

What a y'all think ? :popcorn:

Many people will call me by my first name. But a lot more people call me Butters.

I was once called by my ID. (Usually without the 24)

I have some people who I will call by first name. Otherwise, either by their ID or a nickname.

I don't, because of a few reasons:

1. It creates confusion amongst other members, who may not know who you're talking to/about. Probably not a problem for many, but still exists.

2. It tends to be exclusionary for newbs (I know, I know, they should develop thicker skin), and even under the best intentions, makes people feel left out.

Funny thing is that I USED to be LBJARM on the boards...now being GODOFTHUNDER....people call me individual_without_enough_empathy

But I've been called worse ;)

Adonis' the name by the way. I'm not afraid.

1. It creates confusion amongst other members, who may not know who you're talking to/about. Probably not a problem for many, but still exists.

2. It tends to be exclusionary for newbs (I know, I know, they should develop thicker skin), and even under the best intentions, makes people feel left out.

Well, thats prob why I never talk to you "Rock".... cuz I'm not about to type out your whole user name every time :baiting:

Funny thing is that I USED to be LBJARM on the boards...now being GODOFTHUNDER....people call me individual_without_enough_empathy

Ohhhh...you know, I wondered where you'd gone. ;)

My sig line says it all. ;) Nice to see you.

Well, thats prob why I never talk to you "Rock".... cuz I'm not about to type out your whole user name every time :baiting:

Just call me RMA. It's the latest fad!

Besides, there are WAY better reasons to not talk to me. lol

But yeah, those are just my observations, and your kilometreage may vary. :)

My sig line says it all. ;) Nice to see you.

Nobody reads sig lines...

:whistle:

If I know the person through PMs or we've met at cons, I'll refer to them by their first name. The only time I would use their board ID is if there might be confusion as to who is being referenced or when referring to the almighty greggy (worship) , and even then I call him Po most of the time :P