• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Argghh eBay sellers...

35 posts in this topic

rantrant

Some sellers on eBay can be so frustrating.

I was interested in a non-comic related item (sporting goods to be specific) that has both a 'Buy It Now' and a 'Best Offer' option. The seller even put in the listing that all offers would be considered and the item has been up for a few weeks, so last night I shot him an offer of about 25% below the buy-it-now price. If he'd rejected or countered, I probably would've popped for the full BIN.

Of course, I wake up this morning to discover the guy has RAISED his BIN by about 15% after seeing my offer. doh!

It's his choice of course, but I'm definitely not buying it for the increased BIN.

Seems like an odd selling strategy to me.

TL;DR -> Submitted an eBay offer. Seller then increases BIN price. :frustrated:

I had one guy make me an offer for something, I countered...and he countered with his original offer. Fair price, foul price, somewhere in between doesn't matter. If you don't want to move off your original price, just decline the counter and be done with it. Countering with your original offer is guaranteed to be declined and maybe land you on my BBL. It's an "FU" to the seller.

I had one guy make me an offer for something, I countered...and he countered with his original offer. Fair price, foul price, somewhere in between doesn't matter. If you don't want to move off your original price, just decline the counter and be done with it. Countering with your original offer is guaranteed to be declined and maybe land you on my BBL. It's an "FU" to the seller.

I completely agree. The seller hasn't actually rejected or countered my offer yet.

I'm not going to waste my time submitting another offer, lower or higher. I just needed a good vent. :whee:

Still, I think it's poor form for a seller to respond to an offer by increasing the original asking price. It's an "FU" to the buyer.

+1

I missed a book at auction back in December when my computer logged off at the last second. The book showed up on ebay a few weeks later with a RIDICULOUSLY high BIN price, about 67% higher than he paid.

It sat for about 2 months and then showed up with a "Best offer" option. I made an offer of about 25% more than he paid for the book which would have given him about a $400 profit.

I got the most condescending response you could ever imagine about how hot this book was and he would wait "as long as it takes to get his asking price". If thats the case, why the hell did you list it with a best offer option dunce?!? This seller is one of those annoying eBay sellers that has a ton of nice books listed but literally every single one of them is at least 200% above gpa just waiting for the 1 dummy to come along and get completely raped on a book :censored:

p.s.- 7 months later, the book is still sitting on eBay and i can say with 99.9% certainty that no one has made an offer within $100-150 of what i offered him :eyeroll:

I wonder about these instances, too. I think the guy actually likes having the book, so he marks it up stupid high so that he'd be cazy not to take the offer.

The same thing happens at shows/conventions: you make a fair offer and the guy makes a face like you insulted him. Ok. Have fun lugging that back to your van at the end of the day instead of taking the cash I was willing to give you.

+1

I missed a book at auction back in December when my computer logged off at the last second. The book showed up on ebay a few weeks later with a RIDICULOUSLY high BIN price, about 67% higher than he paid.

It sat for about 2 months and then showed up with a "Best offer" option. I made an offer of about 25% more than he paid for the book which would have given him about a $400 profit.

I got the most condescending response you could ever imagine about how hot this book was and he would wait "as long as it takes to get his asking price". If thats the case, why the hell did you list it with a best offer option dunce?!? This seller is one of those annoying eBay sellers that has a ton of nice books listed but literally every single one of them is at least 200% above gpa just waiting for the 1 dummy to come along and get completely raped on a book :censored:

p.s.- 7 months later, the book is still sitting on eBay and i can say with 99.9% certainty that no one has made an offer within $100-150 of what i offered him :eyeroll:

is this the guy who has his books on a pedestal?

name names people! :baiting:

+1

is this the guy who has his books on a pedestal?

name names people! :baiting:

The person with the pedestal, I seem to see their ridiculous auctions mentioned alot, and not in a good manner. I tried to talk sense into that person, but I think when the comics are not sitting on it...s/he is lol

Be patient and your item will come up again.

I was on a baseball card forum, where some guy has a card that I want for $160 OBO. I said that I will take the card for $160. He responds that price is now $175, because the card sold on eBay for $200. I sent him a link that showed that the card sold for $135.83 and the seller has to pay eBay fees. I bought the card elsewhere.

he would wait "as long as it takes to get his asking price".

This seller is one of those annoying eBay sellers that has a ton of nice books listed but literally every single one of them is at least 200% above gpa

:eek:

I completely agree. The seller hasn't actually rejected or countered my offer yet.

I'm not going to waste my time submitting another offer, lower or higher. I just needed a good vent. :whee:

Still, I think it's poor form for a seller to respond to an offer by increasing the original asking price. It's an "FU" to the buyer.

Agreed.