• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Been home a week, time for SDCC 2011 recap

89 posts in this topic

it just won't be worth the expense to set up any longer, unless we break off the comics to a different/separate location, with separate sales of tix, etc....

I guess a separate convention could be held at the old convention center in SD, either concurrent to Comic-Con, or at another time. I wonder how many dealers that would attract, and I wonder what attendance would be like.

I wonder if anyone would be able to get a hotel room.

it just won't be worth the expense to set up any longer, unless we break off the comics to a different/separate location, with separate sales of tix, etc....

I guess a separate convention could be held at the old convention center in SD, either concurrent to Comic-Con, or at another time. I wonder how many dealers that would attract, and I wonder what attendance would be like.

I wonder if anyone would be able to get a hotel room.

I guess there's no reason why it would need to be concurrent with Comic-Con. Some enterprising individual should test it out by starting a comics-only convention in SD during a different time of the year.

my problem with starting a comics only con is that we are not in 1988 any more (that was the first year I traveled to sdcc!)

we live in an age of "instant gratification".... it is wonderful to go see Metro's incredible display of books at sdcc...but you can just as easily see a scan for free, and purchase and with fedex the book can be there tomorrow...

for us, to spend 7-10K to travel to sdcc to set up, it is really more about making contacts, etc...but this was the first year we didn't have a "big" sale, we didn't make a "new" contact that seemed like it would result in a big sale, etc. etc....

I think next year "might" be our last, as has been the recent trend....

my problem with starting a comics only con is that we are not in 1988 any more (that was the first year I traveled to sdcc!)

we live in an age of "instant gratification".... it is wonderful to go see Metro's incredible display of books at sdcc...but you can just as easily see a scan for free, and purchase and with fedex the book can be there tomorrow...

for us, to spend 7-10K to travel to sdcc to set up, it is really more about making contacts, etc...but this was the first year we didn't have a "big" sale, we didn't make a "new" contact that seemed like it would result in a big sale, etc. etc....

:cry: How am I going to get my grail books Rick? :cry:

A 50% drop in total $ sales is pretty severe. I'm guessing Bedrock did ok if he

sold all his wall books and table books. How did he manage that?

i'll be there for you :foryou:

i'll be there for you :foryou:
:whee: nobody said you could'nt just attend a con instead of setting up a booth,right?And possibly bring a couple of books?

big sale, etc. etc....

Some "nit wits" bought him out, :flamed:

big sale, etc. etc....

One nit wit in particular was the highlight of my trip. Still walking with a limp?

big sale, etc. etc....

If I had the mula I would have. Was a great deal

I don't talk as much as Gator.

Thanks fro the recap Rick!

Not that pictures aren't nice, put I always enjoy hearing about comic sales so thanks for sharing.

Sorry sales dropped off from last year.

Besides the super soldier books did you hear about any other big/grail GA books changing hands?

If you don't mind what did the JIM 83 7.5 sell for? I'm curious how the JIM 83 market is...

Thanks!

Bedrock sold out his half of the wall and all box stock (thumbs u

Wouldn't that be considered a little .... unusual ? :popcorn:

big sale, etc. etc....

One nit wit in particular was the highlight of my trip. Still walking with a limp?

:eek: