• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Been home a week, time for SDCC 2011 recap

89 posts in this topic

Rick, how would you compare this year's sales to previous years?
from a dollar comparison standpoint, we did 50% less than any previous SDCC I have set up at...from a volume standpoint, we killed, due to all the "cheaper" raw books we sold...

I have opted in for next year already, but if sales continue to trend down (the con is NO longer a comic con, but a media event), it just won't be worth the expense to set up any longer, unless we break off the comics to a different/separate location, with separate sales of tix, etc....

comic buyers are just getting squeezed out, as are the vendors...once again, I heard of a myriad of dealers NOT setting up next year or reducing their space

I think there needs to be a replacement for SDCC in a nice warm weather venue that focuses on comics exclusively and promotes a family friendly atmosphere. Tampa is as good of a spot as any. hm

Dallas works too! Nice and centrally located, not too terribly expensive to fly in or stay there.

Yeah, Dallas would be a great location!

Rick, how would you compare this year's sales to previous years?
from a dollar comparison standpoint, we did 50% less than any previous SDCC I have set up at...from a volume standpoint, we killed, due to all the "cheaper" raw books we sold...

I have opted in for next year already, but if sales continue to trend down (the con is NO longer a comic con, but a media event), it just won't be worth the expense to set up any longer, unless we break off the comics to a different/separate location, with separate sales of tix, etc....

comic buyers are just getting squeezed out, as are the vendors...once again, I heard of a myriad of dealers NOT setting up next year or reducing their space

I think there needs to be a replacement for SDCC in a nice warm weather venue that focuses on comics exclusively and promotes a family friendly atmosphere. Tampa is as good of a spot as any. hm

Dallas works too! Nice and centrally located, not too terribly expensive to fly in or stay there.

Yeah, Dallas would be a great location!

I'll drink to that! (thumbs u

In fact, if that does come to pass I'd invite some of our more disturbed distinguished GA dealers & collectors over to my humble compound abode in east Ft. Worth for a respite.

:insane:

what happened to the Dallas WW show (shrug)

I think they're speculating about something BIGGER than the current mid-sized Dallas shows, perhaps along the lines of a Texas version of SDCC; very ambitious. :gossip:

To me, that would mean lots of GA, pulps, movie memorabilia, etc. (media and publisher parties thrown in for good measure wouldn't be a bad thing either). hm

It went the way of the dinosaur, but has been replaced by the new and improved Dallas Comic Con. Great show in 2010. You can find the con report here.

And the link to the current website here.

It was a really fun show, but for some reason they keep planning it for the same weekend as the New York spring show. If they would quit doing that this show could explode.

BTW, I'll be in Panama City the end of this week and am looking forward to stopping by the new store to check it out! No cash for serious back issue spending on this trip, unfortunately, but I will definitely be looking to buy something from the great selection I saw in the other threads.

It went the way of the dinosaur, but has been replaced by the new and improved Dallas Comic Con. Great show in 2010. You can find the con report here.

It was a really fun show, but for some reason they keep planning it for the same weekend as the New York spring show. If they would quit doing that this show could explode.

BTW, I'll be in Panama City the end of this week and am looking forward to stopping by the new store to check it out! No cash for serious back issue spending on this trip, unfortunately, but I will definitely be looking to buy something from the great selection I saw in the other threads.

I was there this year, ...for all of thirty minutes; just long enough to lay the foundation for future business with the bedrock of Texas dealers. (thumbs u

Unfortunately, outside of Richard's books I didn't see much in the way of GA that grabbed my interest. I guess the Dallas show draws folks more into modern comics, gaming and celebrity signatures, not that there is anything wrong with that. (shrug)

At least at SDCC I can still feel like a kid buying comics from another era at the local drugstore, ...albeit without the spinner racks and a bit pricier. :whee:

I was there this year, ...for all of thirty minutes; just long enough to lay the foundation for future business with the bedrock of Texas dealers. (thumbs u

Unfortunately, outside of Richard's books I didn't see much in the way of GA that grabbed my interest. I guess the Dallas show draws folks more into modern comics, gaming and celebrity signatures, not that there is anything wrong with that. (shrug)

At least at SDCC I can still feel like a kid buying comics from another era at the local drugstore, ...albeit without the spinner racks and a bit pricier. :whee:

The show was lacking in older material outside of a few notable exceptions (like Bedrock) but if this con keeps pulling good crowds and could get out of the way of New York hopefully the vintage dealers will give it a shot.

yay!

I will have 3 boxes of raw golden age in the office and a little box of silver age...if there is any key(s) you want to see, lmk in advance