• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Moondog

9 posts in this topic

I remember all the old Moondog stuff! Started going to his stores in 1984-1985. Some of the nicest early stores ever. It just breaks my heart to remember all the times his stores were broken into, and beauty golden age stuff disappeared. Gary is a gent to deal with, and even better to just talk to!

TBG255moondog.jpg

Oct. 1978 :hi:

Very early ad as we opened in September 1978.

It's amazing that a tiny little store (400 square feet) could grow into an operation that grossed $5 million annually. That's just not possible anymore...

I got my nickname in college and when I decided to open a store, it seemed like it fit in with comics. The name of the stores evolved over the years:

Moondog's Comics

Moondog's Comicland

Comicland

Moondog's

The first break-in was devastating - they actually tore the back door off the hinges - and I had a coverless Supes 1 taken along with a nice assortment of Disney's. NBC in Chicago came out and covered it.

I got a steel back door after that, but then it just became smash and grab through the front glass door - and I was 2 blocks from the police station in a quiet suburb.

The one thing I really liked - and still look forward to once a year at Chicago - was talking to collectors. It's fun talking about our wonderful hobby - that's what I enjoy most about these boards.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Senormac! (thumbs u

The one thing I really liked - and still look forward to once a year at Chicago - was talking to collectors. It's fun talking about our wonderful hobby - that's what I enjoy most about these boards.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Senormac! (thumbs u

:hi: