• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts about damaged CGC slabs

18 posts in this topic

If this already been discussed, feel free to point me to the thread. Searched but didn't find what I was looking for.

Some CGC books we get in have significant damage to the outer well of the CGC case. For minor damage, we note the condition of the case when we're setting up the item, and the item is sold with the damage noted. For major damage to the outer case, but where the inner well is still intact, we typically send the book in to be recased, or sometimes just crack it out, depending on the grade and value of the book. That's for books that we own.

However, through consignment, we sometimes receive CGC books that have major case damage but where the value is low enough that the consignor wouldn't make his money back if he paid to have them recased (we charge $15, covering the $11 fee plus shipping both ways).

I'm curious to know how you as buyers feel. As long as the inner well is intact and the damage to the case is properly noted, are you ok with a book still being sold as a CGC 9.8? Or do you feel that beyond a certain point, a book should either be cracked or recased, but not sold as CGC? What do you do in your own selling?

As long as you state that the case is cracked I'm fine with it. I absolutely hate buying them and finding the case is cracked only when I receive it. I actually bought a comic in the June auction that had a cracked case and was very happy with your description. IMO you are doing it the right way, keep up the good work (thumbs u

Your $15 charge is a very nice deal for consignors.

I am not overly troubled by cracked slabs at the edges, but don't want anything marring the appearance of the book. However, I know it can significantly lower the selling price of books in an auction, especially on less expensive and more recent books. (It allowed me to save nearly 50% on a handful of books in one ComicLink auction.)

Your $15 charge is a very nice deal for consignors.

I am not overly troubled by cracked slabs at the edges, but don't want anything marring the appearance of the book. However, I know it can significantly lower the selling price of books in an auction, especially on less expensive and more recent books. (It allowed me to save nearly 50% on a handful of books in one ComicLink auction.)

+1

As long as it doesnt affect the appearance of the book, i'm usually fine with it as long as i know it beforehand. I definitely HATE only finding out when i get the book in hand!

I won't buy or sell cracked slabs. I always pass on any slabs with cracks (I don't buy very many of them, so it's easy to be picky). And, as a seller won't list them for sale either. Will send them in to be re-cased if it's appropriate, or just crack them out if low value and not worth sending back in.