• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOOM Studios and the (apparent) demise of the Disney flagship titles

13 posts in this topic

So...what's the story with the apparent cancellation of WDC&S, UNCLE SCROOGE, DONALD DUCK and MICKEY MOUSE?

They haven't appeared in the last few Previews.

No mention of them being "officially" cancelled anywhere from BOOM, or from MARVEL.

Is it a trademark issue with using Rosa's or Barks' work?

Is BOOM suffering internal difficulties?

Did Marvel yank BOOM's license?

If so, is Marvel going to start publishing them instead?

If so, can someone dump Joe Quesada in the Negative Zone so that he doesn't reboot them at #1?

Where's Irving Forbush when you need him?

Yes, the license of the Disney stuff is expiring for Boom and Marvel is taking over. Some of the Boom material is now coming out as Marvel TPBs. It seems though that Marvel is slow on coming online with those properties which goes to show that a smaller more focused shop is a better place to handle these. I can't say that Marvel's editorial machine has wowed me much in ... oh, over a decade :frustrated:

Why can't any company seem to make this work?

Gladstone did it from 1987 thru 1990, Disney took over from 1990 thru 1993, Gladstone did it again from 1993 thru 1999, Gemstone then did it from 2003 until 2009, and BoomKids only had it for 2 years.

5 publishers (and now 6) in 24 years??

the problem with the original is that snowwhite was not hooked on crack & having sex with the 7dwarfs

!!! Honestly how can you not see that!

All kidding aside I think a cartoon would be a a cool thing for kids since the last one was a movie

So...what's the story with the apparent cancellation of WDC&S, UNCLE SCROOGE, DONALD DUCK and MICKEY MOUSE?

They haven't appeared in the last few Previews.

No mention of them being "officially" cancelled anywhere from BOOM, or from MARVEL.

Is it a trademark issue with using Rosa's or Barks' work?

Is BOOM suffering internal difficulties?

Did Marvel yank BOOM's license?

If so, is Marvel going to start publishing them instead?

If so, can someone dump Joe Quesada in the Negative Zone so that he doesn't reboot them at #1?

Where's Irving Forbush when you need him?

Boom recently announced the last issues of Darkwing Duck and Ducktales, but the "classic" titles were cancelled without an annoucement.

No trademark issue. Boom had the rights to publish classic material. Barks or Rosa don't get any royalties or own any trademarks/copyrights anyway.

Marvel is picking up the Pixar titles. No word on any of the classic characters. Quesada was asked about plans for those characters at SDCC and said there were no plans. I would hope they're just waiting for Boom to wrap things up with their current offerings.

There are comments about the Boom/Disney relationship by a former Boom editor http://negaverse.net/oldhaunt/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1798 here. A leading theory is that the cancellation of the "classic" titles violated their contract with Disney.

Even if that isn't the case, there are enough interesting comments in that thread that suggest that Boom didn't really have a clue what they were doing.The core of their strategy revolved around Mickey Mouse, which considering the Ducks always outsold the Mouse probably wasn't a good idea.

One of their initial setbacks was pouring too much money into their hardcover reprint line. No surprise there. They were way overpriced. I think they were hoping to sell a lot of copies to libraries.

Ugghh...Marvel putting out the Disney books!?!? Boom was doing well in my opinion. Nice cover stock and interiors....just nice books to look at. Anyone know the exact last issues of the titles??? I'd like to get them in my collection.