• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hitler's Ear...

40 posts in this topic

Here's my lowly 2.0! Long considered a classic, but compared to the surrounding issues it's not nearly as tough as the classic superplane cover 44 (per CGC census data) with 16 universal graded copies vs. just 8 for the 44.

mm46.jpg

Great looking book dr. (thumbs u

DSC01943.jpg

West's 9.0 copy appears to be from the San Francisco pedigree! :cloud9:

One of the only GA pedigrees for which I do not have a sample of and will now, most likely never have in my collection. Especially after passing on 2 Marvel Mystery SF's in my first SD Con back in the early 90's. Jon Warren was unaware they were SF copies and had them priced at only guide. I took the Captain America instead because it appeared to be in nicer shape than the 2 SF Marvel Mystery books. doh!

Do you remember what issues the 2 Marvel Mystery's were?

West,

No, I can't remember exactly what the 2 MM's were, although I believe they were some issues from the 20's or 30's. I remember the covers were darker (or just too busy) than the Cap which just looked a cleaner and brighter copy.

You would have to check with Steve Carey who was standing behind me waiting for the stupid rookie to pass on the 2 books which I ended up doing. Steve was nice enough to explain the significance of the G codes to me after I had a change of heart and went back to Jon Warren's booth. I believe one of the books had the G code and the other one may not have had it.

I also believe Steve ended up trading one of them for the Larson copy of Exciting Comics #9 before the end of the Con. Now, I am starting to wonder if the Cap I ended up with is an unmarked SF copy or not, since those were the only really nice GA books in that short box that Jon had. Strongly doubt I would have that kind of luck. hm:wishluck:

Two teases...

Shoot. I was just going to post my 8.5 copy!

I was going to post mine too
well, one of us is mistaken, since there are only 2 cgc 8.5 on the census...I wonder which one of us is mistaken lol

DSC01943.jpg

One of the only GA pedigrees for which I do not have a sample of and will now, most likely never have in my collection. Especially after passing on 2 Marvel Mystery SF's in my first SD Con back in the early 90's. Jon Warren was unaware they were SF copies and had them priced at only guide. I took the Captain America instead because it appeared to be in nicer shape than the 2 SF Marvel Mystery books. doh!

West,

No, I can't remember exactly what the 2 MM's were, although I believe they were some issues from the 20's or 30's. I remember the covers were darker (or just too busy) than the Cap which just looked a cleaner and brighter copy.

You would have to check with Steve Carey who was standing behind me waiting for the stupid rookie to pass on the 2 books which I ended up doing. Steve was nice enough to explain the significance of the G codes to me after I had a change of heart and went back to Jon Warren's booth. I believe one of the books had the G code and the other one may not have had it.

I also believe Steve ended up trading one of them for the Larson copy of Exciting Comics #9 before the end of the Con. Now, I am starting to wonder if the Cap I ended up with is an unmarked SF copy or not, since those were the only really nice GA books in that short box that Jon had. Strongly doubt I would have that kind of luck. hm:wishluck:

I'd love to see a scan of it!

Two teases...

well, one of us is mistaken, since there are only 2 cgc 8.5 on the census...I wonder which one of us is mistaken lol

Check your copy again. It's probably a 3.5. :taptaptap:

Two teases...

Check your copy again. It's probably a 3.5. :taptaptap:

:popcorn:

DSC01943.jpg

West,

West;

Unfortunately, it's not readily available as it's sitting somewhwere inside a safety deposit box.

Next time I am there, I'll see if I can pull it out and do a scan for you. Is there a way to tell if a book is from the SF collection if it does not have the signature coding on the book?

DSC01943.jpg

West,

West;

Unfortunately, it's not readily available as it's sitting somewhwere inside a safety deposit box.

Next time I am there, I'll see if I can pull it out and do a scan for you. Is there a way to tell if a book is from the SF collection if it does not have the signature coding on the book?

Check the back cover for the name stamp. They can be hard to see sometimes.

DSC01943.jpg

West,

Lou, are you sure they were Marvel Mysterys? Jon had two Human Torches at one of those shows. Steve Carey turned me on to them and I bought them both from Jon.

Here they are...

ht2.jpg

ht6.jpg

DSC01943.jpg

West,

Lou, are you sure they were Marvel Mysterys? Jon had two Human Torches at one of those shows. Steve Carey turned me on to them and I bought them both from Jon.

Here they are...

ht2.jpg

ht6.jpg

Richard;

I believe this was probably way back in 1991.

I also don't believe the Human Torch #2 was one of the books as that would have been far too expensive at the time. Of couse I could be mistaken as my memory might be going in my old age. lol

I do remember Steve saying that he had picked up both of the books and that he ended up trading one of them for the Larson copy of Exciting #9 which was also guiding for only around $500 or so at the time.

BTW: Was Jon aware that the 2 Torches were San Francisco copies and did he chraged according for them?

the "tom reilly" stamp on the back, those written codes on the front like on ricky's books, and the date stamp like on the one below are the various distinguishing features.

cap43.jpg

the "tom reilly" stamp on the back, those written codes on the front like on ricky's books, and the date stamp like on the one below are the various distinguishing features.

cap43.jpg

Thanks for the information! (thumbs u

I am 100% sure that the book does not have the "G" code and also quite sure that it does not have a name stamp, although I have not looked closely for one on the back cover. With respect to the date stamp, that's probably a stronger possibility, but I wouldn't be that lucky. :(

cap43.jpg

Thanks for the information! (thumbs u

I am 100% sure that the book does not have the "G" code and also quite sure that it does not have a name stamp, although I have not looked closely for one on the back cover. With respect to the date stamp, that's probably a stronger possibility, but I wouldn't be that lucky. :(

Reilly stamps on the back cover generally end in 1942 to early 1943.

I do remember Steve saying that he had picked up both of the books and that he ended up trading one of them for the Larson copy of Exciting #9 which was also guiding for only around $500 or so at the time.

BTW: Was Jon aware that the 2 Torches were San Francisco copies and did he chraged according for them?

Steve never traded for the Larson Exciting 9. I had that book at that time. I bought it from Ed Sobolak at a local Houston show in the late eighties for $250. I traded it to Dan Greenhaulgh in 93 or so towards the Larson Marvel 5. Dan sold it to the present owner soon after.

I don't remember if Jon knew the Torches were Friscos. I do remember that the 2 was $1500 and the 6 was about half that amount, neither a significant amount over guide. I think I paid right at $2000 for both.

Steve never traded for the Larson Exciting 9. I had that book at that time. I bought it from Ed Sobolak at a local Houston show in the late eighties for $250. I traded it to Dan Greenhaulgh in 93 or so towards the Larson Marvel 5. Dan sold it to the present owner soon after.

I don't remember if Jon knew the Torches were Friscos. I do remember that the 2 was $1500 and the 6 was about half that amount, neither a significant amount over guide. I think I paid right at $2000 for both.

Well, that definitely shows you how good my memory is. :P

If Jon was asking $2K for the books, I probably didn't want to spend most of the money I had on me all in one shot. Turned out to be a good thing as I was able to used the $2K as a down payment near the end of the con for a very small private GA collection which included a killer copy of Human Torch #4. :acclaim: