• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

I really enjoy getting this kind of PM.

"donna i'll put a bullet in your head"

Really? At what point do the moderators review registration before accepting someone as a member here?

Really? At what point do the moderators review registration before accepting someone as a member here?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to weed through them all. If someone is persistent enough, there is absolutely no way you can prevent a-holes from registering and the moderators wouldn't even know to suspect until something like this happens (I'm a mod on another forum and have to deal with this all the time).

Report 'em and let the mods do their work.

A quote like that obviously comes from someone who would have to study to be stupid. Chances are "einstein" would have the gun pointed backwards and blow his own head off...

Unfortunately, it's impossible to weed through them all. If someone is persistent enough, there is absolutely no way you can prevent a-holes from registering and the moderators wouldn't even know to suspect until something like this happens (I'm a mod on another forum and have to deal with this all the time).

I review all of the applications for the CBCA before they get accepted. I'm guessing not too many genuine collectors register here in a day. It seems to me, that it would be easier to review applications rather than spend several hours chasing shills.

can't the mods trace back the Ip address?

Sometimes.

However, it is very, very easy to spoof IPs, use anonymizers and otherwise fool/thwart IP trackers. If someone wants to get past the system, it's very easy to do.

Not everyone thinks of that. BTW, do iPhone's put a unique IP address or does it just depend on which toward you're connected to?

I review all of the applications for the CBCA before they get accepted. I'm guessing not too many genuine collectors register here in a day. It seems to me, that it would be easier to review applications rather than spend several hours chasing shills.

Yeah, you could do it that way, but this is a pretty large forum with many thousands of people. I'm guessing several dozen register each day (like on the forum I moderate on). I can't speak for the CGC boards, but for my other board, it would be totally impractical to review each one manually - and even if you did you likely wouldn't catch even a fraction of the trolls.

Besides, it doesn't take several hours to chase a shill. You just ban them when they show their faces. It takes a lot longer to review the new registrations than it does to ban them once they show their true colors.

Besides, it doesn't take several hours to chase a shill. You just ban them when they show their faces. It takes a lot longer to review the new registrations than it does to ban them once they show their true colors.

It took weeks for TFL and his 'proven beyond doubt' shill to be banned.

can't the mods trace back the Ip address?

Sometimes.

However, it is very, very easy to spoof IPs, use anonymizers and otherwise fool/thwart IP trackers. If someone wants to get past the system, it's very easy to do.

Not everyone thinks of that. BTW, do iPhone's put a unique IP address or does it just depend on which toward you're connected to?

No, usually the only people that think of that are those with agendas that require them to.

iPhones do not have a static IP, so that's another case where it's impossible to keep track.