• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

Why does everybody pretend that this board could be what it's not?

Why do certain members ignore that the arguing is what makes them log in everyday?

Why are the one or two crazy members who do crazy things used as an example to change everything?

Why do you think that by being on here longer, your long winded, self indulgent, "clever" rants are any more or less amusing than a newer member?

Why is someone a tool if they voice an opinion that differs from your own opinion?

What makes your mess smell like roses?

Why can't everyone have fun and keep the joshing light hearted?

What makes an entertaining shill less entertaining than a veterans boorish ideas?

as soon as you require people to pay money for membership here, people will begin to expect something for their $$, which will lead to people like Cal calling up CGC and wasting their time dealing with stupid #$*( like message board incivility, rather than just grading the damned books they have in their bins.

One thing people would potentially expect for their money would be some sort of regulation in the selling area. If that were to happen, I believe you can say bye bye to the selling forum which would be a shame.

Yeah, no, charging for membership is a ludicrous idea. It would...rightfully...give people a sense of entitlement and ownership that they absolutely should not have.

Charging for strikes, on the other hand....

hm

Why does everybody pretend that this board could be what it's not?

because that is what people do on the interwebz

Why do certain members ignore that the arguing is what makes them log in everyday?

the past few weeks have been very entertaining for me, let's me laugh alot.

Why are the one or two crazy members who do crazy things used as an example to change everything?

because secretly, we all work for the federal government

Why do you think that by being on here longer, your long winded, self indulgent, "clever" rants are any more or less amusing than a newer member?

early onset dementia

Why is someone a tool if they voice an opinion that differs from your own opinion?

people hate to be wrong

What makes your mess smell like roses?

febreze

Why can't everyone have fun and keep the joshing light hearted?

some thrive on confrontation, sometimes i like confrontation

What makes an entertaining shill less entertaining than a veterans boorish ideas?

because shills are a real pain in the doosh

as soon as you require people to pay money for membership here, people will begin to expect something for their $$, which will lead to people like Cal calling up CGC and wasting their time dealing with stupid #$*( like message board incivility, rather than just grading the damned books they have in their bins.

One thing people would potentially expect for their money would be some sort of regulation in the selling area. If that were to happen, I believe you can say bye bye to the selling forum which would be a shame.

Yeah, no, charging for membership is a ludicrous idea. It would...rightfully...give people a sense of entitlement and ownership that they absolutely should not have.

hm

Enforceable, how? Fining on the honour system? I guess, if you don't pay, you have to create a new identit- heeeyy, wait a minute...

The simple "solution" is to require a non-free email address or phone number or real name or something like that, rather than the "it takes a minute to sign up and i probably won't even need a real email address" system the board has now. Remember that the boards are kept as a convenience, and there's exactly zero interest by tPTB in putting any man-hours beyond what it necessary to keep the boards technologically functioinal

hm

In theory it could work. Maybe on a smaller scale. $5, $10 and $25 or so. Everything going charity is also a good idea.

The issue, to me, is I don't feel this Board is that bad regarding people being civil to each other. I don't participate as much as other members, so that probably helps.

Would the issue that Comicdonna has with Harold be a no go with a paid membership? Most likely yes. I think a better way is finding a way to verify people's identity when they sign up. Like the cell phone idea Comicwiz(?) posted earlier.

A cell call would be a great idea, but there are too many crack phones out there and it is so easy to buy a prepaid.

EDIT: I know, I know, I wish I had an actual answer instead of pointing out problems with it. But a call would be better than nothing.

Edited by Designer Toast

hm

Enforceable, how? Fining on the honour system? I guess, if you don't pay, you have to create a new identit- heeeyy, wait a minute...

The simple "solution" is to require a non-free email address or phone number or real name or something like that, rather than the "it takes a minute to sign up and i probably won't even need a real email address" system the board has now. Remember that the boards are kept as a convenience, and there's exactly zero interest by tPTB in putting any man-hours beyond what it necessary to keep the boards technologically functioinal

That too. I hate being such a slow typer/thinker. :sorry:

A cell call would be a great idea, but there are too many crack phones out there and it is so easy to buy a prepaid.

EDIT: I know, I know, I wish I had an actual answer instead of pointing out problems with it. But a call would be better than nothing.

Yeah but douchenozzles like Harold aren't going to buy a prepaid cell to register here so he can live out his fantasies of actually being a real boy.

Yeah but douchenozzles like Harold aren't going to buy a prepaid cell to register here so he can live out his fantasies of actually being a real boy.

A douchnozzle like that would probably steal a phone.

A douchnozzle like that would probably steal a phone.

Douchenozzles usually do but that puts him closer and closer to his future employment as a license plate technician.

You dropped an e.

Cal, you're really not making friends here. If you want people on your side, take the high road.

Right?! I don't even have to point out what a complete *spoon* Cal is, he's proving my point better than I ever could. :grin:

I'm almost to the point where I know my song would be worth the week. I just looked it up today...can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I wrote it. May need some slight rewriting.

But, it actually holds up pretty well.

I disagree. People that are that mentally disturbed would surprise you with the limits they are willing to push.

I won't go into details, but there are ways to validate a number like you would a P.O. box for prepaid cellphone users.

Regardless, it is the address linked to the number which makes it a useful method of linking back to a real person.

A registration process would ask the member to enter their phone number and real name, address, etc.

They would also be asked whether they want to receive a call or to confirm via text. If by text, they are provided with a session code they need to enter into via a confirmation url.

Thanks to geo-location technology, you can also triangulate the members name, address, and geo location and flag the registrations that don't match-up.

In the case of flagged registrations, it would be up to the site admin to decide whether to deny the registrant or require further verification.

The simple "solution" is to require a non-free email address or phone number or real name or something like that...

These three things are required when you sign up.

1. $500-700 annual membership

2. Minimum 5 submissions thru the site per year.

3. Never have, never will ever say anything that, in any way/shape/form, could be misconstrued as nothing but 100% positive comments regarding CALamerica.

Simple, right?

I'm in.

Hey Cal, how about telling your friends, like Bartlett, to mannup and not let trolls deter them from being a part of something they would otherwise enjoy. Opposition, criticism, hate...all these things are present in all aspects of life. If you can't push past them, you won't get anything done.

Pain is inevitable, suffering and persecution are self-inflicted.

COI who knows what it really means to mannup.

See if you can get Dupont to man-up before the CAL haters PM him to stop to get all their gossip straight...

CAL can man up too

Sorry, I was busy trying to remember how to use the ignore function. Anyway, what I heard is this.

A new member joined the forum. Just as it has happened many times in my experience, this person was immediately accused of being a shill. From what I hear you had a large role (maybe a solo role) in successfully convincing the mods this person was a shill, getting the account permanently deactivated. This person being a new member had no idea what had happened and called CGC to see why the account was banned. All was cleared up, the account was reinstated, and life continued on.

Not registering at all. I wouild need to see the banned name, other circumstances, such as they were libeling me or calamerica-collectibles somehow, if what you say IS true, I will admit it immediately. But as of now, I really don't recall and can't recall without more specifics.

CAL sticking to his ideas and guns

You did this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3299024#Post3299024

Then got this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3299880#Post3299880

I am off to work so I will make this quick:

Yes I did this

Yes I thought Not*Sure was Stu

because of her comments re: IMSM that Stu used to use

BUT I SHOULD HAVE LET GO AT THE TIME

I found out later she was who she is

I did not know she was kicked of here and I will call Wednesday and inqure about that for myself

We seem to get along now, or so I hope

I was fond of her husband at one time, still am in the best way possible

If she was kicked of because of me I will apologize on a sepearate thread

Yes I have made many mistakes in life, and that day was one big one

CAL who is sorry most for what CAL has done wrong, not others...

not*sure* hasn't been kicked of the boards. She's still very... participatory.

I was caught up in a shill storm actually. I was told my posts were reported as being shill and fit the pattern of a shill so I was bant..I coudnt log in or anything..

At the same time they banned about 9 other ids or something. Someone was complaining about shillers..

I called and was informed that as I confirmed my identity I was not in fact Stu "Not the shill they were looking for" The immediately reinstated me ..

Hence my husband's hilarious board ID Knot's*Dew he thought it was pretty funny anyone would think I was a dude shilling as a gal.

anyway long story short..

all it took was a phone call and I believe in the mess of the other thread it was called into question again and I told the second mod looking into it to ask the first mod about my proof of ID.

From Cal's post in the thread you can see why it was most likely Cal calling CGC that got me the misidentitied banning..

I stay out of trouble..

:whistle:

This is all old news guys just because Cal had forgotten that old thread..no need to stir it up really..

I try to be nice and not play on his lawn too much..