• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

Cal wanting respect brought to the boards by having experienced collectors and dealers paying their dues to eliminate disrespect towards CGC and the community at large.

Why is there an assumed correlation between spending a few bucks, or the extent to which someone participates in the hobby, and sanity?

I could pay $500 and submit 100 books a year to CGC; how exactly does that ensure that I won't act like a d-bag to other people in this community?

:applause:

Cal wanting respect brought to the boards by having experienced collectors and dealers paying their dues to eliminate disrespect towards CGC and the community at large.

Why is there an assumed correlation between spending a few bucks, or the extent to which someone participates in the hobby, and sanity?

I could pay $500 and submit 100 books a year to CGC; how exactly does that ensure that I won't act like a d-bag to other people in this community?

It does not insure against bad behavior. But I am betting my Aces Full that you would fall under the PROBABILITY of civil behavior. You would have something to lose, versus the trolls who rarely have anything to lose.

I stand behind my premise of the membership requirement, flawed or not.

CAL is actually trying to make the place better for everyone

Cal, have you been given a strike before?

Yes. For supposdedly following Not*Sure. She also made a nasty reference inferred about me that was removed by the mods. What has that got to do with this?

Curious CAL

It does not insure against bad behavior. But I am betting my Aces Full that you would fall under the PROBABILITY of civil behavior. You would have something to lose, versus the trolls who rarely have anything to lose.

I stand behind my premise of the membership requirement, flawed or not.

CAL is actually trying to make the place better for everyone

Cal, have you been given a strike before?

Yes. For supposdedly following Not*Sure. She also made a nasty reference inferred about me that was removed by the mods. What has that got to do with this?

Curious CAL

How many of us, who you claim are the "problem" have never had a strike on this board?

Cal, have you ever had someone banned due to mistaken identity, only to have it cleared up later?

Just because someone disagrees with you makes them a troll. Keep living the dream.

That is right.

No it's not, Cal. The simple fact that certain individuals don't share your opinion does not make them a troll.

Constantly harrassing you in thread after thread on a daily, probably hourly, basis does.

But simply having a mind of their own doesn't bestow upon them troll status.

Skypinkblu posted something quite easy and involves no cost to implement...

Have a waiting period for new joining members and also limit new members joining on the weekend. All new members are to be approved by the mods first. This is standard at a musician forum I frequent and we don't have any of the issues that happen here.

The cost of time for the mods will be affected to some degree but at least we won't have the random shills that seem to come and go with different threads (depending on the topic).

It won't get rid of threats or rude people but would help with the shills popping up all the time.

Either way, something should be done to improve this community. Death threats just shouldn't be happening or tolerated in any way, shape or form.

Mark1,

great post. But be warned, any appearance of agreeing with the membership idea will put you in my camp. I am getting snide remarks from people I did not know existed here, but because of the membership idea, it has brought them out if you know what I mean???

concerned CAL

Charging hundreds of dollars for a forum membership is not realistic.

The most I have seen at any forum is a yearly membership of $25 to $50. Anything more is cost prohibitive to many.

How many of us, who you claim are the "problem" have never had a strike on this board?

Cal, have you ever had someone banned due to mistaken identity, only to have it cleared up later?

What does this have to do with?

I never had anyone banned that did not deserve it. I am not the forum police. I am just a wanna-be forum poilceman who trades funny books as a hobby.

CAL still confused

Either way, something should be done to improve this community. Death threats just shouldn't be happening or tolerated in any way, shape or form.

Death threats are not characteristic of this community, so this community doesn't need any improvement on that basis.

Just because someone disagrees with you makes them a troll. Keep living the dream.

That is right.

No it's not, Cal. The simple fact that certain individuals don't share your opinion does not make them a troll.

Constantly harrassing you in thread after thread on a daily, probably hourly, basis does.

Ttrue.

I read his post wrong. See Dupont.

CAL in a hurry

Mark1,

great post. But be warned, any appearance of agreeing with the membership idea will put you in my camp. I am getting snide remarks from people I did not know existed here, but because of the membership idea, it has brought them out if you know what I mean???

concerned CAL

Thanks CAL. I'm really not in anyone's camp,,,not CALs or F_T or others....

I'm in the camp of just making this place a better community for us all to visit. Some here think it's fine just the way it is. They can operate the way they have for years and because it's tolerated...it's okay.

Change will always have its detractors. It's not easy and people avoid change like the plague. But, change can be a positive sometimes.

Either way, i'd like to dream that the CGC forum could be a kinder gentler place...but then I woke up. :pullhair:

Skypinkblu posted something quite easy and involves no cost to implement...

Have a waiting period for new joining members and also limit new members joining on the weekend. All new members are to be approved by the mods first. This is standard at a musician forum I frequent and we don't have any of the issues that happen here.

The cost of time for the mods will be affected to some degree but at least we won't have the random shills that seem to come and go with different threads (depending on the topic).

It won't get rid of threats or rude people but would help with the shills popping up all the time.

Mark1,

concerned CAL

So, how come it was not a "great idea" when I posted it, lol?

BTW, it was not a paid "membership", merely a checkpoint.

Confused'd Sky;) (shrug)

I never had anyone banned that did not deserve it. I am not the forum police. I am just a wanna-be forum poilceman who trades funny books as a hobby.

CAL still confused

Not what I heard :gossip:

Mark1,

concerned CAL

Thanks CAL. I'm really not in anyone's camp,,,not CALs or F_T or others....

I'm in the camp of just making this place a better community for us all to visit. Some here think it's fine just the way it is. They can operate the way they have for years and because it's tolerated...it's okay.

Change will always have its detractors. It's not easy and people avoid change like the plague. But, change can be a positive sometimes.

Either way, i'd like to dream that the CGC forum could be a kinder gentler place...but then I woke up. :pullhair:

I hope that you, along with MANY others, can see the need to have the uncivil behavior cease.

But I, for one, am not seeing that. I am seeing the old Status Quo: shoot the messenger, defame, deny, deflect, destroy. All for what? I hope many are reading this thread, and especially the outsiders. I won't need to have them read myposts for the proper APPEARANCES of what this Forum has turned into. And? it is allowed, thus condoned. By many.

but not by CAL

That is right.

Ttrue.

I read his post wrong. See Dupont.

CAL in a hurry

Is CAL high on PCP? DUPONT is sure he's not the only one having trouble deciphering CAL's unintelligible posts.

CAL still confused

Not what I heard :gossip:

What did you hear?

man-up or begone CAL

Death threats are not characteristic of this community, so this community doesn't need any improvement on that basis.

Ok, the authority has spoken. Let's shut this thread down and delete it. No need to discuss anything else moving forward.

(said with tongue firmly in cheek). :gossip:

Just because they aren't posted in Comics General or made public on the forum doesn't mean other threats like this don't occur and occur more than you think.

I was once threatened to be beat up here. I didn't say anything about it because I was brand new and quite honestly...didn't know what to do. I put the user on ignore and they turned out to be a shill anyway that disappeared quickly. Don't think it doesn't pop in my mind when i'm walking on a dark street sometimes.

It's never fun to have a threat either in-person or written. It has a negative effect that could be paranoia or exagerated but nonetheless doesn't take away the anxiety associated with getting a threat like that.

It seems like you don't want to recognize this fact, and I for one see this as being selfish. There are few people who's negative feelings towards noobs or "potential shills" rival yours. You can't expect people to be happy about that.

You have a good idea, but it might be better to think about the community as a whole and their concerns instead of just yourself.

sad-cardboard-robot-500x334.jpg

Puny human...you fail to comprehend...Cal-bot only thinks in terms of Cal-bot...nothing else matters...only Cal-bot.