• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America a "bomb" over seas

89 posts in this topic

Traditionally movies get between 50-60% of it's gross overseas. Captain America is not playing in all ports of call and i s not doing very very well.

$76,732,487 36.4% of the total is Foreign. Don't count on the good Captain to be the blockbuster like Iron Man, Batman, or X-men. hm

Notice that it was the Union Jack featured in the crowd scene at the movie's close.

Anyway, this is a politcal call by moviegoers not an artistic preference.

Gone are the days of the 800 million dollar movies,with the economy,internet etc. Captain America just does'nt bode well in Europe,not a surprise really.

??? Harry potter and transformers 3 are billion dollar movies worldwide.

Of course sir there are always exceptions to every rule.

Come on, the movie hasn't been released in most of the European countries yet and also in many other countries around the world. At the end of August we can discuss again.

exactly. if you compare the opening weekend of the five biggest markets for Cap, X-men, and Thor you'll see that Cap is 10% ahead of X-Men (which did $200mm+ int'l) and 15% behind Thor (which did $270mm). Cap likely on track for $225mm int'l and $175mm domestic- $400mm WW. Thor did $450mm, X-Men $350mm and the other unmentionable DC movie probably won't get to $250mm. thread title fail.

Well, that actually does't surprise me. I loved it, but then again, I'm American. I love to see a guy in an American flag whoop . If you're French, it might not hold the same significance.

Your right.

It should hold more

Without American soldiers giving their lives on French soil, the French flag would look markedly different today.

Yeah...I totally agree...that figure is TOTALLY misleading...The Cap movie has yet to roll into MANY countries....The Overseas market is strange, the release dates are all over the place and for whatever reason, they chose to open it at different times all around the markets...plus, for some countries...the actual figures are sometimes slower to get in....you would be shocked at some of the jumps the money totals will take..

Some examples where the Cap movie has YET to open in..

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hong Kong

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Israel

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

South Africa

Norway

Japan

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Austria

Belgium

VERY big markets....

Well, that actually does't surprise me. I loved it, but then again, I'm American. I love to see a guy in an American flag whoop . If you're French, it might not hold the same significance.

Your right.

It should hold more

Without American soldiers giving their lives on French soil, the French flag would look markedly different today.

Yep, no greater respect can paid to fallen soldiers than watching a B Movie Superhero

Gone are the days of the 800 million dollar movies,with the economy,internet etc. Captain America just does'nt bode well in Europe,not a surprise really.

Three of the top 9 grossing movies of all time being released in 2011 is one heck of an exception. Only three movies the top 9 came out before 2009.

I realize higher ticket prices and 3D premiums have a big impact, but it seems people are going to movies despite the economy.

Yeah...I totally agree...that figure is TOTALLY misleading...The Cap movie has yet to roll into MANY countries....The Overseas market is strange, the release dates are all over the place and for whatever reason, they chose to open it at different times all around the markets...plus, for some countries...the actual figures are sometimes slower to get in....you would be shocked at some of the jumps the money totals will take..

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hong Kong

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Israel

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

South Africa

Norway

Japan

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Austria

Belgium

VERY big markets....

I didn't know this...this thread is totally misleading then

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hong Kong

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Israel

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

South Africa

Norway

Japan

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Austria

Belgium

VERY big markets....

I didn't know this...this thread is totally misleading then

In the "old" days these roll outs were due to the costs of putting the movies on film. They would have to make many fewer prints if they could open them in one place and then pack them up and move on to the other. That may still play a role in these delayed roll outs, but today's world of digital pictures, I don't know if it plays a part in the decisions.

Transformers 3? :tonofbricks:

Three of the top 9 grossing movies of all time being released in 2011 is one heck of an exception. Only three movies the top 9 came out before 2009.

I realize higher ticket prices and 3D premiums have a big impact, but it seems people are going to movies despite the economy.

I believe it. Having to cancel the annual vacation is one thing, but people still need to unwind. The movies are a cheap alternative to Orlando.

Your right.

It should hold more

Without the French help, American flag would still be Union Jack.

And by the way, Capt. America has not yet been released in France, so keep your ignorant comments to yourself.