• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are you watching/winning in the Comic Connect Auction?

135 posts in this topic

Have to say I'm not a big fan of the bidding extension on CC. I had a few more books I wanted to bid on but the multiple extensions on the Thor #165 required my attention. As a result, I'm left with a nice budget for the Comiclink and Heritage auctions.

I actually think it's the fairest way to run an auction for both the buyer and the seller! (thumbs u

Gives the buyer time to raise their bid if they really want the book and avoids the last minute sniping or the feeling that you've overpaid for a book by placing an "out of the ballpark" in order to win the book. The seller has a much better chance to get top dollar for his book since everybody has the time and opportunity to bid on the book. hm

The absolute worst way to run an auction is the Comic Heaven way where you have to place your bid in advance and also make a 10% down payment in order to confirm your bid. Needless to say, this antiquated system sure discourages potential purchasers from bidding. doh!

lol Comic Heaven. Those were the days eh? Your CBG laid out on the dining room table, going through John's auction catalog with no assistance from any images...

As for bidding in the comiconnect auction, like all other auctions I bid in, I have a bid amount that I'm comfortable with, place my bid and let it ride. In this case, I've been unable to locate an affordable pedigree copy of #165, so while the auction high was @ $285, I placed my high bid of $650. Overkill, but I wanted the book so I watched as the "punishment" bids rolled in extending the auction 5 or 6 times. Yes, it did net the seller a higher price and that does give comicconnect a leg up on the competition when attracting sellers, but as a buyer, because that book required my attention, they missed out on a significant amount of my money on other sales.

Like I mentioned, it just leaves me with a significant amount to spend in the Clink and Heritage auctions.

The absolute worst way to run an auction is the Comic Heaven way where you have to place your bid in advance and also make a 10% down payment in order to confirm your bid. Needless to say, this antiquated system sure discourages potential purchasers from bidding. doh!

lol Comic Heaven. Those were the days eh? Your CBG laid out on the dining room table, going through John's auction catalog with no assistance from any images...

I quit trying with Comic Heaven after getting too many supposedly NM books with gawdawful tanlines on the front covers. The last one that I won, I didn't even send a deposit on, but was invoiced anyway.

Nice TOS :applause:

I saw a few Green Rivers spread through this auction and I noticed about another dozen in the Clink auction. Did our local Green River enthusiast decide to pare his collection out?

Unlikely to be Brad selling. The issue I picked up was never part of Brad's collection or visual database, as far as I know.