• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please humiliate my 80pg Giant #8

24 posts in this topic

Looks from the scan like a 9.0 - 9.2, but with the squarebounds, I always wonder about possible wrinkling near the spine. To me, the wrinkling (when present) is a significant downgrade. CGC seems to be quite lenient with this defect in the squarebounds, which is strange given the enormous deduction a similar warping would cause in a standard size book.

Is there a modern reprint of this book? I didn't notice it in the guide if there is. I saw one at the LCS recently for $10 in 9.8 condition in a long box. I passed, figuring it was a reprint.

They also had a VG/FN copy of Showcase #24 in the bins. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't on the wall in a mylar. It was priced at $632. Who puts a book like that in the bins?????? 893frustrated.gif

Is there a modern reprint of this book? I didn't notice it in the guide if there is. I saw one at the LCS recently for $10 in 9.8 condition in a long box. I passed, figuring it was a reprint.

They did a glossy stock-cover reprint about 5 years ago,...but this is from 1965...the original giant books were titled "eighty page giant " #1-15,...then starting with issue #16 they incorporated the # into the series title,...hence 80 page giant #16 became Justice League of America #39 ( the first jla giant)...and they continued like this till their sad demise in JLA #93 ( or 80pg giant #89)...

...and before someone corrects me,...before they started the 80 paige Giant Series they did have 25 cent squre-bound books with the annuals,(22 issues in all)....Superman, Batman,Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Flash, as well as a few strays like Rudolph the red-nose reindeer,Superboy, Sgt. Rock,. and the original Secret Origins.......

Thanks,.... laugh.gif...it was stuck in with a whole bunch of high grade Marvels I bought today,...it was the only DC,..I had to suppress a little squeal of joy while looking at it,...didn't want the seller to see how much I liked it!!! cloud9.gif

i'm gonna say 8.5. it's got the banged up llc, the dust shadow on the lrc and the typical cover abrasion over the upper staple. nice, nice book. thumbsup2.gif i stopped buying before this one came out. i've only submitted one annual (strange tales #1) and think i'll post it elsewhere and let the board guess at the grading...............

... Jimmy Olsen and ...

What 80-Page Giant Jimmy Olsen was published prior to the numbered 80-page

Giant Series? I don't remember ever hearing of this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

don't believe there were any other than 80 page giant #'s 2 & 13 893scratchchin-thumb.gif