• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to ebayer - Midpacific2002- someone reliable out there in ebay land

162 posts in this topic

As some may know around here, I was searching for a lower grade JIM 83.

I went through our typical channels for a few months but turned up limited copies to choose from. Most that I saw were raw, overpriced and overgraded.

So, I turn to the auction houses...nothing worthwhile to my eye.

I reluctantly look to eBay. I see several copies but one catches my eye and the seller is perfect feedback and lives in hawaii. Of course, I'm skeptical like the rest of us. If Robojo can have perfect feedback... you know what i'm saying.

Anyway, I contact the guy, we agree to terms but I wanted references or to make sure I got info on the guy to make sure I wouldn't be ripped off.

I requested a call on the phone, a reference or two and some time to work the deal and not rush it.

The guy was just great to deal with. He called me, we talked several min about the book. He gave me a reference for a guy who recently bought an AF15 slab and also friended me on Facebook so I could have connections to all his friends if something went wrong. I thought....this sounds legit.

I sent the money and 3 days later I have my JIM 83 packed like an Action 1 was inside and in better shape than the scans indicated.

The sad news is the guy is selling some comics for a friend's wife. Her husband passed away and he has several high ticket keys for sale (what I was told). If you are interested in a Hulk 1 or FF 1 among others...I recommend midpacific2002.

http://shop.ebay.com/midpacific2002/m.html?_nkw=cgc&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

We hear of so many horror stories out there on ebay I felt like sharing a very positive experience.

(disclaimer - I am not associated with midpacific2002 and have no vested interest in any of his comics or other items for sale on ebay)

I am glad to hear about a good eBay seller.

However, there is little reason to ask a seller to jump through such hoops, that have nothing to do with the product itself, when all it takes is to send the item back if you are not satisfied.

Seriously, do you have a screw loose???

Nothing wrong with asking for a few references for a high ticket book. We're not talking about a $20 book here. May e you think it's smart to just send a grand to someone you know nothing about and then hope you get your money back if something goes wrong. Most normal people i know like to know who they are dealing with before sending them a decent chunk of change (shrug)

However, there is little reason to ask a seller to jump through such hoops, that have nothing to do with the product itself, when all it takes is to send the item back if you are not satisfied.

I don't understand your comments. We've repeatedly seen sellers who ship a

worthless magazine or an empty box rather than an expensive comic. Once you

sign for the package ebay considers the item successfully delivered and you will

have a problem.

Seems that Mark did his due diligence to avoid problems.

Actually, it appears more likely that Mark went to such lengths because the deal was not completed on eBay. Thus eliminating eBay's significant buyer protections.

My point is that it is both time consuming for the seller and buyer on an eBay transaction and provides little additional protection from an actual scammer. None of Marks vetting will protect from a seller who ships an empty box.

Guess I won't bother looking through your sales thread then :screwy:

Guess I won't bother looking through your sales thread then :screwy:

Apples and Oranges

Why would you equate a sales thread on the forum with zero buyer protection, to eBay sales with significant buyer protection? Any forum seller who is hesitant to provide decent references will likely see less demand for high $ items.

Yeah because that mentality always works out great. meh

On Mark's part it was great for him to know the seller was as serious( and legit) as was his intent for buying it.

On Mark's part it was great for him to know the seller was as serious( and legit) as was his intent for buying it.

Of course it was!

Since he didn't actually buy it on eBay.

Seriously, do you have a screw loose???

Nothing wrong with asking for a few references for a high ticket book. We're not talking about a $20 book here. May e you think it's smart to just send a grand to someone you know nothing about and then hope you get your money back if something goes wrong. Most normal people i know like to know who they are dealing with before sending them a decent chunk of change (shrug)

:popcorn:

Of course it was!

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see anything in the OP about the transaction not occurring on eBay...

Of course it was!

What's your point?

Of course it was!

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see anything in the OP about the transaction not occurring on eBay...

You can check the sellers completed listings and see that the JIM 83 ended without being sold on eBay

Of course it was!

You can check the sellers completed listings and see that the JIM 83 ended without being sold on eBay

Let's not make assumptions. Could be another book.

Could be.

Probably isn't.

But could be.