• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Resume Collecting I Would Collect...

26 posts in this topic

Pre-Hero Marvel and Atlas post-code non-hero titles titles such as Strange Worlds, Worlds of Fantasy, Strange Tales of the Unusual, etc.

I am beginning to compile a list of all of the Atals post-code horror/sci-fi issues with notations. It will be an interesting project.

I may never recover enough financially to allow me to collect the books, but the research itself will be rather exciting.

Good luck and hope you get back in soon!

Pre-hero books are definitely popular now. I don't really collect them or follow them but the few i have seem to be getting REALLY good prices!

There seems to be a great selection though in most of the auctions so when you do get back in, you can be like a kid in a candy store! :banana:

Good luck and get your back in soon! lol

Pre-hero books are definitely popular now. I don't really collect them or follow them but the few i have seem to be getting REALLY good prices!

There seems to be a great selection though in most of the auctions so when you do get back in, you can be like a kid in a candy store! :banana:

Thanks for the well wishes! But "Pre-hero books are definitely popular now" is NOT something that tickles me! I want folks to sneer at them and call them worthless! I well remember in the late 80's/early 90's, at a relatively short-lived comic book store in Watertown (MA) Square on Main Street seeing the Kirby Monster books on the wall at $10-$15 and scooping them up, much to the ausement of the young clerk.

One of the things I do fondly remember were the back stories, after the Kirby Monster stories, often by Ditko, that were pure sci-fi and dealt with aliens, the Red Menace etc. Some really intereesting stuff there that literally represented the concept of Atom Age more than the pre-code horror stuff did..

You could always collect mid grade runs of New Mutants.

That's about all I can afford anymore. :cry:

In my early collecting days I had a long run of New Mutants (I started collecting around 1981 because my godson asked me to collect with him - before that I was not much of a comic book person.)

I appreciate the suggestion but I think I will pass! :grin:

Thanks for the well wishes! But "Pre-hero books are definitely popular now" is NOT something that tickles me! I want folks to sneer at them and call them worthless! I well remember in the late 80's/early 90's, at a relatively short-lived comic book store in Watertown (MA) Square on Main Street seeing the Kirby Monster books on the wall at $10-$15 and scooping them up, much to the ausement of the young clerk.

One of the things I do fondly remember were the back stories, after the Kirby Monster stories, often by Ditko, that were pure sci-fi and dealt with aliens, the Red Menace etc. Some really intereesting stuff there that literally represented the concept of Atom Age more than the pre-code horror stuff did..

Yeah, I was one of those geniuses that would have been laughing at you back then :blush:

My LCS always had a pretty good selection of Pre-hero books but I never wanted to waste my money on them :eyeroll:

I was too busy spending my money on good investments like Archer and Armstrong gold for $125 doh!

Luckily, i at least did buy a few that I thought were cool and really great bargains, usually during a 50% off sale.

There are a lot of really fun books in this area. (thumbs u

PreHeroGroupSmall.jpg

PreHeroGroupSmall.jpg

And apparently ... you have them all. :baiting:

PreHeroGroupSmall.jpg

And apparently ... you have them all. :baiting:

In very high grade, natch.

Collect whatever tickles your fancy (thumbs u When I was collecting pre-heroes a few years back, the market had fallen off a bit (except for the HG examples). It looks as though there are a couple/some collectors that are paying big $ for them recently. Some issues can be had (at auction) for a decent price, while others will be run up to :o levels

Pre-Hero Marvel and Atlas post-code non-hero titles titles such as Strange Worlds, Worlds of Fantasy, Strange Tales of the Unusual, etc.

I am beginning to compile a list of all of the Atals post-code horror/sci-fi issues with notations. It will be an interesting project.

I may never recover enough financially to allow me to collect the books, but the research itself will be rather exciting.

Nice Fine plus copies can be had without breaking the bank. I'm not a high roller and can usually only afford a couple of nice books a year. Goldust40 has a nice pile of them, as do Metropolis. I would highly recommend a J.I.M. 62....classic Kirby with one of my favorite Ditko back ups....hey, you gotta start somewhere. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. The Masterworks hardcover reprints are wonderful, 10 books per volume. The work wonders for easing the "jones" for them. You can then decide which ones you REALLY want as originals.

PreHeroGroupSmall.jpg

Kirby and Ditko in there prime.What could be better.

Throw in the try outs for the superheroes books you really cant go wrong!

I hope you're able to collect again soon, Pov! :foryou:

That's half the fun!