• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manning up in 1990 !

12 posts in this topic

from 1800 to 80k....to 1,000,000...how times have changed.

Not really Mitch! People are just as resistant to the next price plateau as they ever were! Though I guess we are never again likely to see a young man put his pocket money together as you did to buy an Action #1!

Though I guess we are never again likely to see a young man put his pocket money together as you did to buy an Action #1!

Not according to the two boy geniuses I overheard in Chicago. As I was browsing at a dealer’s booth, two teenagers were casually looking through some boxes and this is what I heard:

Boy A: “Yeah, some of these older comics are worth a lot of money. They’re from the Golden Age.”

Boy B: “I know about the different ages, Golden and Silver, and something else. I told my mom that some of these old comics are worth a lot and she said I should go to rummage sales and try to buy them.”

Boy A: “Sure, but make sure they’re in good shape. I mean, even a big book like Action #1, the first Superman, is only worth a couple hundred dollars in low grade.”

Boy B: “Yeah, it’s got to be high grade to be worth some money.”

Does anyone remember when the first Sotheby's auction of old comics took place? I remember going down to Hollywood and viewing the books in a hotel lobby one weekedn before the auction. They had all the big issues, Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel 1.

catsothebys91.gif[/img]

Not really Mitch! People are just as resistant to the next price plateau as they ever were! Though I guess we are never again likely to see a young man put his pocket money together as you did to buy an Action #1!

No, Mitch is right. Even taking inflation into account, $1,801 in 1973 is still worth less than $10,000 today in CPI-adjusted terms and a little over $30,000 in gold-adjusted terms, but the price of the Action #1 he purchased is now worth hundreds of thousands at a minimum. Its price appreciation has outstripped inflation, income growth and the appreciation of other assets by eons. I would posit that it is simply unrealistic to think that the risk/reward of buying said book in 2011 at a 6 or 7-figure price tag is anywhere near as favorable as it was in 1973, even taking into account the time value of money.

To say that Action #1 is a great buy today just because it was when Mitch bought his copy and when The Dentist bought his and everyone called them krazy and resisted the new price points is the height of nonsense. :screwy:

Does anyone remember when the first Sotheby's auction of old comics took place? I remember going down to Hollywood and viewing the books in a hotel lobby one weekedn before the auction. They had all the big issues, Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel 1.

catsothebys91.gif[/img]

Hey, just yesterday I was thinking of putting that book on the sales boards, and then 40yrs talked me out of it.

It's a beautiful reference book. Jerry & co did a first class job.

catsothebys91.gif[/img]

Thanks, auction was in New York but I remember seeing those books out here. Interesting, probably trying to drum up some movie start interest and bucks.